It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: Town Changes Name to Dish, Gets Free Satellite TV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The town of Clark, Texas has legally changed its name to "Dish" in an agreement with the DISH Network satellite television service. In exchange, DISH Network will now provide all residents within the town's city limits with free satellite television service consisting of basic programming, all equipment including a digital video recorder, and standard installation for 10 years. The town, a Dallas/Ft. Worth suburb, currently has a population of 125 people.

home.businesswire.com
DISH, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 16, 2005--EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service and the town of Clark, Texas, announced today that the town of Clark has accepted DISH Network's challenge to re-brand itself as part of the DISH City Makeover.

As of today, Clark, Texas, a small tight-knit bedroom community located a half hour north of Fort Worth, Texas, has legally changed its name to DISH, Texas. In exchange, DISH Network has agreed to provide every household in the town of DISH 10 years of free basic satellite TV programming, including equipment and standard installation. DISH Network introduced the DISH City Makeover as part of recent re-branding efforts and a new advertising campaign trumpeting "Better TV for All."

"We are thrilled that the town of Clark has accepted the DISH City Makeover challenge," said Michael Neuman, president of EchoStar's DISH Network. "By officially changing the town's name, the residents of DISH will experience first hand what 'Better TV for All' truly means, while at the same time saving hundreds of thousands of dollars over the next decade."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This isn't the first time a small U.S. town changed its name as an advertising stunt for a corporation. "Dish" doesn't sound that bad, and free satellite TV service will probably be very appreciated by the residents. I wonder what the company would have done if a larger city like New York or Chicago wanted to take them up on their offer though.

[edit on 11/16/2005 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 11/16/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I wonder what the company would have done if a larger city like New York or Chicago wanted to take them up on their offer though.

They would have all had to move to ... Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico!

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Dish really got off cheap. I had expected some town of at least 1000 would have accepted the offer first.

Using a basic fee of approx 40.00 per month comes out to approx 60,000 give or take a few bucks a year times ten equals 600,000 total, and I am willing to bet if lets say Chicago had submitted their name at the same time Dish still would have picked Clark TX

Now I wonder if they are going to get the standard package or one that includes HDTV, that will cost them 14.00 a month extra if I am correct.

No matter how you put it the 125 will save roughly 4800.00 for the next ten years.

[edit on 11/16/2005 by shots]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Sounds like something off the Twilight Zone, I can picture everyone sitting there zombified in front of the box.... Hopefully that is as much of a joke as I imagine it to be!

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
"Dish" doesn't sound that bad,

Certainly no worse than 'Clark'

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Actually Truth Or Consequences, NM was changed for a game show popular at the time

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
600 grand? Bah! They got a deal. A 30-second Superbowl spot was at $2.4 million this year.

Zip

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Well that's about as tasteless as it gets. Selling your town's name for an advertising gimick..

What's next.. "McDonalds", Iowa? "Burger King", Kentucky? "Tampax" Nebraska?

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Dish Network knew what they were doing before they ever announced their stunt. They probably only took into consideration towns within a certain population density.

C'mon, do you REALLY think they would have obligated themselves to provide free service for 10 years to more people than they want to?

Don't forget to forward that Microsoft e-mail to beta test their e-mail tracking software, you might get $245.00 for each person you send it to...

join