It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: US/EU Showdown Could Fracture The Internet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The United States is on a collision course with the European Union on who should retain oversight of the Internet's governance. The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) who presides over how the internet operates is based in California and is awarded its position by renewable tender given by the United States government. The EU wants international oversight of the network for fear the United States has a monopoly on a network of Worldwide importance and value.

news.yahoo.com
TUNIS (AFP) - A tense dispute over US control of the Internet in the run-up to the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) could eventually lead to the break-up of the global network and hamper seamless browsing, officials warned.

The warning came as the United States told EU participants at negotiations on Internet governance that it was determined to maintain its oversight over the technical and administrative infrastructure at the root of the network.

In a letter seen by AFP, US Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice and Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez called on the British presidency of the European Union to drop its proposal for an international alternative.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

YoU bRokEds Teh InteRnetS!@

Is the fracturing of the internet in anyones interests? Can the internet really continue to be dominated by the United States? Would the World sit idle if the United States government pulled the plug on say Iran's access to the internet? These are questions that cannot be left unanswered and I hope the middle ground solution advocated by the EU is taken up. Other wise the internet as we know it will end.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
It seems obvious to me that the US does NOT want unfettered access to information worldwide: however, the "genie is out of the bottle" and the Internet 1 is now being relegated for the common masses of humanity, with the other higher Internets 2 and 3 and 4 etc. for others with more restricted access to certain "sensitive" types of global information) kept away from the hoi polloi...

Perhaps Internet 1 should be goverened by a UN type body with the US as a member, rather than as a "sole controller" of the World Wide Web...

Problem is...INFORMATION IS POWER and the US would like to restrict both, especially in these days of highly selective "corporate sponsored" news which is mainly controlled for the most part by 5 corporations in the US....as most on these threads are well aware....

Ahhhhh, plus ca change !!!!!

[edit on 16-11-2005 by NEOAMADEUS]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by NEOAMADEUS

Problem is...INFORMATION IS POWER and the US would like to restrict both, especially in these days of highly selective "corporate sponsored" news which is mainly controlled for the most part by 5 corporations in the US....as most on these threads are well aware....

Ahhhhh, plus ca change !!!!!

And there you have it.

Nice summary NEOAMADEUS.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
They decided the U.S. should retain control. Good idea IMO, it would have been a disaster to turn this over to the UN.

I would have been another Oil for Food like debacle.

TUNIS, Tunisia Nov 16, 2005 — A U.N. technology summit opened Wednesday after an 11th-hour agreement that leaves the United States with ultimate oversight of the main computers that direct the Internet's flow of information, commerce and dissent.

A lingering and vocal struggle over the Internet's plumbing and its addressing system has overshadowed the summit's original intent: to address ways to expand communications technologies to poorer parts of the world.

Negotiators from more than 100 countries agreed late Tuesday to leave the United States in charge, through a quasi-independent body called the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or ICANN.

abcnews.go.com...

[edit on 11/16/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
So the US still controls the main computers, through ICANN - and developing nations have been told to come up with investment money if they want to play in the big sandbox.

Meanwhile, "David Gross, the U.S. State Department's top official on Internet policy, told reporters that despite the U.S. hand in ICANN, Internet governance was not the provenance of one specific country.

"The term … is quite broad. It is very inclusive," he said, trying to dismiss claims that the U.S. is holding onto its position as the arbiter of the Internet."

...So what does this all mean? To us, freedom, and access to information?

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
...So what does this all mean? To us, freedom, and access to information?

For some countries yes for others like China no, they already have great control of what can and cannot be seen in that country and I would tend to think it is the same in Korea and other parts of the world.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Just a couple of questions?

Who came up with the idea of the internet, and who was the first country/government to put it to use?....

and why in the world should the country/government that invented and put to use the internet, give control of the internet over to other countries so that they can make money off the internet?....

[edit on 16-11-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Who came up with the idea of the internet,

A person, not a country.

and who was the first country/government to put it to use?....

The US military - which is why the guys who invented it opened it up to the world. So it could not be controlled, and so it could benefit the whole of humanity.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Internet is the revolution, keep it as free as it can be. USA as it is today, should not rule the internet!! No one should rule the internet...NO ONE!!! Keep it free!!
then it might save humanity

EDIT: typo

[edit on 16-11-2005 by Bananahill]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Open-source communications + intelligent peasants + self-sufficiency = an end to the old ways.

It's a fascinating conflict, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it's played. Are we being divided and conquered? Or is this the beginning of the future, where the tools and tactics of the elite are co-opted by the long-suffering objects of their vampiric obsession/dependence.

Stay tuned...

I don't care what anyone says, life is SO much better than television.

[edit on 16-11-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
FROM THE 2004 WORLD ALMANAC;

In 1969, ARPANET, an experimental 4-computer network was established by the Advanced Research Projects agency (ARPA) of the U.S. Defense Dept. so that research scientists could communicate. By 1971, ARPANET linked about a dozen computors ("hosts") at 15 sites, including MIT and Harvard. By 1981 there were over 200 hosts. In 1978 the first 'spam' or junk e-mail, message was sent over ARPANET.

In 1988, Internet Chat Relay (IRC) was developed by Finnish student Jarkko Oikarinen, enabling people to communicate via the Internet in "real time". It first drew worldwide attention as a source for up-to-date information in the 1991 Gulf War.

In 1989-90 the WORLD WIDE WEB was invented by Tim Berners-Lee as an environment in which scientists at the European Center for Research in Switzerland could share information. It gradually evolved into a medium with text, graphics, audio, animation and video.

The Internet is not owned or funded by any one institution, organization, or government. It has no CEO and is not a commercial service. Its development is guided by the International Society (ISOC), composed of volunteers. The ISOC appoints the Internet Architecture Board (IAB), which oversees issues of standards, network resources etc. Other volunteer groups are the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), which develops the standards, and the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF) which carries out research on the Internet's long term future.

Hope this will help anyone looking for a little history about the Internet and and I kind of like the fact that no one person or organization owns it.

'May the Internet Force be with us'

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I have often wondered if they knew what they released when they gave away internet?

Even Bill Gates said it was just a hype..back in the days. Or did he say that on purpose?

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bananahill
I have often wondered if they knew what they released when they gave away internet?

Edit: Removed some stuff for another time and place

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I think the issue has been settled.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I think the issue has been settled.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't, Grady.

The implications of the 'settlement' have yet to be investigated. And this is a good discussion with some great oneliners.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
ICANN is a joke. They keep releasing these new extensions like .info to extort money from trademark holders. They do this knowing full well that most people will not be able to use the new extensions. Its nothing more than a ploy to get more money from the same people for the same garbage. It just means that instead of having to register 3 domains to protect your name you now have to register 7 or 8 or however many. If you want to make the net a better place then tell these intellectual property bullies that they are not ENTITLED to every domain that comes anywhere close to a name they think they own. The net is a source of information like a library. Free speech outweights your right to have a government sponsored monopoly.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Still - it seems to me that WE control the Net.

With due respect to carnivore and whatever other constraints exist.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Who controls the net? We THINK we do. But lets face it a majority of the servers that make up the net run software that was written by people outside of the U.S. Imagine if the net ran only on Windows. LOL. The rest of the world could cut the U.S. off tomorrow and nobody would care or miss us. The open source movement is what keeps the net going. And the U.S. isn't the player in that.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Who controls the net? We THINK we do. But lets face it a majority of the servers that make up the net run software that was written by people outside of the U.S. Imagine if the net ran only on Windows. LOL. The rest of the world could cut the U.S. off tomorrow and nobody would care or miss us. The open source movement is what keeps the net going. And the U.S. isn't the player in that.

Hmmm. I did mean people. As in, not government, or the US military.

Open Source.
Open Access.
Free Science.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Hmmmm...

It's over already?

I just got my popcorn and my pop, and I put the lawnchair out front where I could get a good view of the world imploding, and now this?

Well, something else will happen, it always does.

I'm surprised how quickly this popped and faded. Like crappy fireworks.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join