It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is music becoming a little more crap?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I know. I just think that for some reason, music has been deterioating. In music terms, I think this decade is the worse. We're five years in, and we still haven't got a real "Sgt Pepper" if ya get me. Y'know? Like a real good album. The sixties had the Beatles, the Kinks, The Who, The Rolling Stones, and Dylan. The seventies had Led Zep, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, John Lennon, Neil Young, David Bowie and Rod Stewart (when he was with the Faces). Then there was the Punk Rock phenomena when it was raw and not streamlined like today. The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Dead Kennedys. Even the bloody eighties stands up next to the more anaemic 00's. How about the Smiths? or U2? or the Cure? (before they got old and crunchy.) Hell, I even have a very soft spot for bands like INXS, ABC and WHAM! They made some great pop music. That's what mattered. The 90's? Well, I can name a couple of bands which were great. The Stone Roses, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Green Day (early) Belle and Sebastian (great Scottish pop band) Radiohead. However, there is one bloke who was probebly the best singer of the 90's era, Jeff Buckley. And stand that against our last 5 years, what has music achieved? A bloody irritating ringtone which grossed (from what I've heard) £10,000,000. To be quite honest, there are loads of great bands, but where is the press? It's like censoring if ya get me. Ignoring the best talent whilst celebrating the non-entities. Moron 5 comes to mind for some reason. I dunno, maybe I'm getting old at the age of 19. If you look at us and judge music from the sixties, then music has been declining for a bit. Am I being a little pessimistic?

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Haha, its funny u say that, but it is quite true.

check this clip out from showbiz:

www.comedycentral.com...

browse to the very bottom and view the "nerd perspective"

quite hilarious

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
music isnt getting worse. It's just that the crappy music is shoved down our throats. I don't listen to the radio. I get all my music from hearsay from friends or searching the net.

you also must remember, all of this is opinion. Just because we believe something to be crap, someone else might love it. Yes, if you look at it from a musical standpoint, alot of the music put out today is crap. But since it seems there are many who love that stuff, record companies keep shoveling it out. The only way to change it is by getting more people to buy other music. That's what they respond to, the money. they don't care how good it is, just if people want it or not. It's all about the green to them, not the music.

new topics

join