It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient wisdom...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2003 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr (in another thread)

Why yes! The "wisdom of the ages" is almost always proven wrong and later even thought to be quite ridiculous. IMO, this is another of those "wisdoms".

Isn't it funny that science "discovered" somethings that some ancient religions had known for thousands of years??? That the world around us is an illusion??? And that there's a universal force within us???

If an electron is not a thing until it is observed by some instrument, does this not imply that reality depends on our observations and hence, ultimately, the thoughts we use to frame the world? Does this not imply that reality is created by human thoughts? Metaphysical idealism is an old and widespread belief stating that the physical world a
s we experience it is basically an illusion; the perception of a world of material things separated in space is said to be only an appearance. Individual things exist only insofar as we have an idea of them. If there were no human observer or recording instrument of any kind in a forest, then a falling tree would make no sound. In fact, there would be no tree to fall and no forest. When I walk out of a room, I assume that the physical room and all its contents are still there. But according to the idealist, the room ceases to exist if no one is there to have a thought of the room.

---------------------------

Eastern mysticism is also consistent with the results of quantum physics. The mystics have always rejected the idea of a hidden clocklike mechanism, sitting out there, independent of human observation. The number one truth is that reality does not consist of separate things, but is an indescribable, interconnected oneness. Each object of our normal experience is seen to be but a brief disturbance of a universal ocean of existence. Maya is the illusion that the phenomenal world of separate objects and people is the only reality. For the mystics this manifestation is real, but it is a fleeting reality; it is a mistake, although a natural one, to believe that maya represents a fundamental reality. Each person, each physical object, from the perspective of eternity is like a brief, disturbed drop of water from an unbounded ocean. The goal of enlightenment is to understand this--more precisely, to experience this: to see intuitively that the distinction between me and the universe is a false dichotomy. The distinction between consciousness and physical matter, between mind and body, is the result of an unenlightened perspective.

personal.tcu.edu...

Put quite simply, it ceases to exist. As the religions of the East have long upheld, the material world is Maya, an illusion, and although we may think we are physical beings moving through a physical world, this too is an illusion.

We are really "receivers" floating through a kaleidoscopic sea of frequency, and what we extract from this sea and transmogrify into physical reality is but one channel from many extracted out of the superhologram.

This striking new picture of reality, the synthesis of Bohm and Pribram's views, has come to be called the holographic paradigm, and although many scientists have greeted it with skepticism, it has galvanized others. A small but growing group of researchers believe it may be the most accurate model of reality science has arrived at thus far. More than that, some believe it may solve some mysteries that have never before been explainable by science and even establish the paranormal as a part of nature.

www.fiu.edu...

The brain of matter may be a conscious entity or it may not. What this new approach shows, however, is that a primary consciousness lies at a sub-quantum level of reality: in the invisible! Mathematics throws up its fine structure. This created the universe of matter out of its own substance, by the clever use of vibrations, (using quantum waves) in order to provide an environment for mind.
----------------------------------

The human mind cannot be mere brain function. The brain may or may not be a conscious entity: what seems certain, however, is that it connects with a primary consciousness which exists as part of the structure of the nuether and could be immortal.

Since this is the basis of all religious belief, it now seems possible that a new unity may emerge in which science can be turned round to provide faith with support. Existing schisms could soon heal with global benefit.

--------------------------------------

As already stated, the combined solution to the problem of wave-particle duality and gravitation threw up support for the basic tenets of the religions of the world: the faith in a controlling intelligence or God and the belief in a spiritual existence. To the religious I would hope this will imprint a message. It could help draw the religions of the world together, to shelter under the umbrella of extended physics. There should no longer be any need to defend belief against the discreditment of science. It simply does not appear possible to explain wave-particle duality and non-locality by theories which do not involve a Creator permeating all things.

www.survivalafterdeath.org...

The Field connects everything in the universe to everything else, like some vast invisible web. The papers published by these scientists written about in The Field show that the solid stable stuff we call matter is an illusion and is simply subatomic particles constantly moving and being gripped on by the background sea of energy. Everything in our world, no matter how heavy or large, boils down to a collection of electric charges interacting with the Zero Point Field.
----------------------------------

Perhaps more important, the existence of the Zero Point Field implies that all matter in the universe is interconnected by quantum waves, which are spread out through time and space, and can carry on to infinity, tying one part of the universe to every other part. The idea of The Field might just offer a scientific explanation for the spiritual beliefs of many religions that there is such as thing as a life force.
-----------------------------------------------

Human beings, on their most fundamental level, are packets of quantum energy constantly exchanging information with this heaving energy sea.

www.wddty.co.uk...

Now compare that with this:

(3) Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

www.gnosis.org... (Gospel of Thomas, [Nag Hammadi records])

In vedic philosophy, maya is the illusion of physical reality in which our everyday consciousness has become entangled. Many philosphies or religions seek to "pierce the veil" in order to glimpse the transcendant truth, from which the illusion of a physical reality springs.

www.wikipedia.org...(illusion)

"I and the Father are one."
John 10:30

Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, you are gods'?

John10:34

You must stop seeing God as separate from you, and you a separate from each other. The only solution is the Ultimate Truth: nothing exists in the universe that is separate from anything else. Everything is intrinsically connected, irrevocably interdependent, interactive, interwoven into the fabric of all life. All governments, all politics must be based on this truth. All laws must be rooted in it. This is the future hope of your race; the only hope for your planet. (173)

Conversations with God book 2

Jesus often spoke of it as the "kingdom of life." He also frequently referred to "the kingdom of God within you."

www.urantiabook.org...

[edit on 10-6-2004 by TheBandit795]

posted on Sep, 21 2003 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The philosophy of Pono is the ancient Hawaiian value system of being right with all things because all things are connected. Fulfilling the need to be in lokahi, oneness - with one's self, with others, with Spirit - was the ancestors' main objective in life.

It was necessary to be in harmony with everything, because they saw everything as irrevocably interconnected. This need for unity became an integral part of their belief system, and they valued the lokahi above all else. It was their ideal. But, as with all ideals, they knew that individual circumstances would arise that would cause them to fall short of the mark.

kahanapono.tripod.com...

"The life of a sentient being is a long dream. Existence only appears to be real. When one finally awakens, or attains Buddhahood, existence is seen for what it is--a sequence of illusions. Until that time, people will remain obsessed by the body, mind, and external phenomena, not realizing that they are illusory. You will live in a dream, thinking that it is reality. . . .

"Sentient beings mistakenly view their moment-to-moment illusory existence as a continuous, connected lifetime. Because they are unaware that their life is unreal, they do not attempt to wake up."

--Ch�an Master Sheng-yen, Complete Enlightenment, pp. 108-109

www.buddhistinformation.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2003 @ 01:08 AM
link   
This is to show that ancient religions and ancient wisdom cannot be dismissed, just like that.

posted on Sep, 21 2003 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Yeah right!!! Why isn't anyone commenting on this???

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Very interesting posts there, TheBandit795.

I too think that it is foolish to dismiss the knowledge of the ancient as pure mythology or philosophy. I think they hold some truth.

The holographic universe theory is an interesting read. I am a bit sceptical about the vast number of new theories regarding the "essence" of the universe and life, there are way too many these days. The future will show who is right there I guess.

Quantum physics is fascinating thing. The more we try to explain things on quantum level, the more it seems like there is a certain "something" there, a Hand of God, in order to make this existence possible.

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 08:17 AM
link   
lol i know u can't dismiss the wisdom of the old, it's in me i believe, for i just know alot of #, it sure is wierd to just know things, and i think that the world couldn't be created out of human minds, how would the corrupt systems have developed if the majority wouldn't want them? i don't believe that a few minds could effect the reality of a mojority of minds, i only know that the wisdom of the old ones needs be used soon cuz the world's #ed without it, jim morrison already professed this to the masses in song

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by banjoechef
and i think that the world couldn't be created out of human minds, how would the corrupt systems have developed if the majority wouldn't want them?

Simple, always think about things you don't feel good about and you will get them, that's how the mind creates "bad" things. Law of Attraction. Corrupt systems develop because people think negatively/pessimistic in general.

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
What does anything matter anymore, when the magazine Scientific American had for their two latest issues articles about "Everything is a hologram" (a la Matrix, I suppose), and "Parrallel Universes Exist".
In a universe where anything can possibly happen (parrallel reality), how can we know it exists (hologram)?

But, then again, I remember a Halloween episode of the cartoon Angry Beavers, where a B rated 50's character, Oxnard Montalvo said
"Anything is possible, if it happens".
... I think I'll stick to cartoons for inspiration... they're less complicated!

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

Originally posted by banjoechef
and i think that the world couldn't be created out of human minds, how would the corrupt systems have developed if the majority wouldn't want them?

Simple, always think about things you don't feel good about and you will get them, that's how the mind creates "bad" things. Law of Attraction. Corrupt systems develop because people think negatively/pessimistic in general.

This is exactly why a lot of negative things are posted on the web where they do not have to offer up proof of what they are talking about. It is to stir up the collective conscious and create an atmosphere of fear.

new topics

top topics

join