It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your ATS/BTS pet peeve?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Another ATS/BTS peeve of mine is when you start, what you believe to be, a good thread and it receives little or no attention. Then, a few days later, someone starts a similar thread and it garners all sorts of responses. It makes me consider that there are groups of individuals who respond only to each others posts. Oh well, just a thought but it's an irritating one and is, simply, my pet peeve.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
benevolent tyrant,
That is one oe mine!

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
One of my newest pet peeve on Above Top Secret is that banner ad. You know the one.....the "talking smileys". OOOOOO I hate that thing.

It wouldn't be so bad if only those damned smileys DIDN'T TALK!!!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
It is my observation that the poor spellers are native English speakers, not foreigners, if that word fits here. Those who are not native English speakers will have idiomatic and syntactic problems as much as problems with spelling and that is not what I see here.

And it is my recollection that SO addressed the "text speak" or whatever it's called and it is to be discouraged, because this is not a volatile medium and grammar, spelling and composition should be important.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey...I've come to the sad conclusion that many people think that the object of the 'game' is to beat your 'opponent'.

That's the problem with message boards in general. There are a disturbing number of people who just don't seem to understand, or potentially simply hope that others don't understand, the nature of debate. It's as if you're playing tennis with someone and you serve the ball to them and they haul off and hit it out of the court, then claim that they scored a point because you didn't hit the ball back. Either they don't get the rules or they're just hoping that you don't or that the audience doesn't or something...

My pet peeve with this site in particular is that the boards aren't threaded. I really don't care for inline boards-- it's too hard to keep track of the multiple exchanges that often take place on a single thread when all the posts are simply displayed inline. Message boards are far easier to read and respond to if one can respond directly to another post, rather than simply appending one's post to the end of the last page.

All in all, this is a fine forum, and I'm happy to have found it, but I do wish it was threaded rather than flat.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
When people type DAT and DIS instead of THIS or THAT. Argh its so irritating...Im not the grammer police in anyway, in fact I suck at it myself, but reading through an otherwise interesting post and coming across this over and over drives me NUTS.

Like he said in the first post, it makes you think less of the poster even though the rest of his messege is intelligent and interesting. I mean how hard is it to type TH instead of a stupid D. Its not original, its not stylish, its just retarded. So WHY...

Bah...

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   

And it is my recollection that SO addressed the "text speak" or whatever it's called and it is to be discouraged, because this is not a volatile medium and grammar, spelling and composition should be important.

Just curious Grady but would you object to useing such abbreviations as imo and tbh ? Personally I have no problem with the use of such terms there short and to the point.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Im not a fan of those e-abbreviations. I dont want to stop and decypher the code as I read. It makes me feel that the author invested just enough effort to post, sort of like an online ebonics. I always appreciate an easy readable post.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I have another ATS/BTS pet peeve -- Benevolent Heretic. Don't get me wrong, I really like BH, I love reading her posts. She expresses herself very well and she supports her opinions. BUT for quite a while, I was the only benevolent anything on ATS/BTS. I thought that no one could ever confuse the name benevolent tyrant with anyone else. I was wrong. It was back in the Summer of '05 when I first saw benevolent heretic pop on the boards. Ever since then, I have been confused with her in posts and even in chat. Grrrrrrrrrrr. If only she wasn't so damned nice. Oh well, if I ever had to pick someone to be confused with, I'm glad it's her.

Maybe the mods will confuse me with her and start giving me her points....

anyway.....I am the benevolent tyrant

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
the spelling and grammar situation has got to be one of the greatest agitations for me as well... even more so within my own posts! if i catch a mistake and don't have the option to 'edit' it later it irks me to no end!! oh, well, we've all done it!

i type REALLY quickly, and can go even more quickly when i don't stop to capitalize anything- i don't know if that bothers anyone or not? i make an effort to put my thoughts together coherently and would hope the point gets across even if i don't always type 'I' instead of 'i'.

i tend to judge the content presented by paying attention to how well the material is organized- when it appears that a member has REALLY done a large amount of reading and research on the topic, and still has questions which they offer for discussion, i tend to appreciate and think more highly of those kinds of threads.... i tend to discount the questions that start out 'does anyone know anything about...' i skip all the comments (which they know NOTHING about, right?) and jump straight to the answers....

i love it when a member doesn't have to be asked to 'back it up', if they are truly trying to help others understand, they just 'provide'.... i'm open to reading whatever folks can dig up on either side of any topic- occasionally i find that figuring out where someone else is coming from is more interesting than the topic itself...

i haven't been around very long, but there seem to be many threads that are posted (asking questions) just for the sake of asking....shouldn't they at least make in effort to find something first!!?? it seems a bit disrespectful in a way- if i can then do a web search and pull up countless pages that provide reasonable answers, it means somebody was too lazy to bother reading or didn't give at least minimal effort to find what they were seeking... if they don't care enough, why should we?

there aren't that many 'pet peeves', if ATS wasn't such a great place (despite a few nuisances here and there) i wouldn't keep returning!

~am

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The "word" w00t.

The word sheeple.

People that grasp onto any theory and run with it, despite all facts to the contrary. Sometimes I think I could completely make something up and one-third of the board will believe it without question just because it says what they want to hear. Damn sheeple.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
i believe you... one thousand pardons, i just had to run with that!

oh, that was baaaaaaaad... :shk:

maybe this would help?

~am

[edit on 25-11-2005 by amithyzt]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
When I have typed an essay of sorts and then I get this :

THIS gets my goat every time
lol
*sigh* guess I gotta learn to "copy" my posts before I hit "post reply" now

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Yes! That just happened to me earlier, thank god it was a short post. It made me so mad to see that.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
My pet peeve is .... when presented with a question concerning the new ATS tv show, no one will respond. Oh, I am not after points....they are worthless anyway....I am after the opinions of people who are interested and willing to share opinions on a topic that IS important and is REAL. This is after all a site that deals with opinions, conjecture, speculation. But is this speculation limited to Bigfoot?

The ATS tv show is real. We have all expounded upon how we are excited about the prospect of an ATS show but when asked for opinions, none are given. Perhaps "the powers that be" should reconsider even putting on a show of this nature as ATS members aren't really interested after all. Or are they?

[edit on 11/28/2005 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
My favourite peeve is the giant logo above the threads box where it says, "Here are five of your subscribed threads"......................

Nothing....................................:shk:.....................Not a peep!

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Picture this; you've navigated the shopping mall parking lot. It's full of holiday shopper traffic and, so, it's quite congested. But your'e not in any rush. Rushing is for the true shopping addict. You've politely let cars have the right of way and you've let the aggressive drivers turn, pass or whatever. And finally you spot "your" parking spot. There is someone already in the spot but they are getting ready to back out of the spot. So you turn on your blinker and wait.

Once the vehicle backs out and drives away, you are ready to make your move into the empty spot. However, just before you turn in, some small GEO or Miata ignores the fact that you've been patiently waiting, blinker blinking, and pulls right in before you can make your move. God I hate that.

The only thing that I hate worse in this scenario is when the offending driver climbs out of his car and waves at you as he walks towards the mall.

Thank heavens I'm not prone to road rage or I'd be tempted to pull the tire iron which I carry under my drivers seat and set upon the jerk, smashing his brain in with repeated smacks from that cold steel. Of course, I'm not prone to this line of thinking so.......I fantasize.
:bash:

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Another ATS/BTS peeve of mine is when you start, what you believe to be, a good thread and it receives little or no attention. Then, a few days later, someone starts a similar thread and it garners all sorts of responses. It makes me consider that there are groups of individuals who respond only to each others posts. Oh well, just a thought but it's an irritating one and is, simply, my pet peeve.

Not just yours. I have had the same thing happen to me countless times. I don't think that I dwelled on it so much as to have come to the conclusion that you have, that perhaps there are groups of individuals who respond only to each others posts.

But, come to think of it, you could well be right. I mean, no names mentioned here, but I can think of a few names that when I see a thread started by them, I automatically know that there will be several pages to go through.

I hope that this is not really the case here in this community - where cliques have developed and not everyone is as responsive to everyone else.:shk:

Also, I have another peeve that I'm surprised that no one else has already written. That is the "no one-liner rule". I understand the reasoning behind it, such as what kind of a thread would it be if someone wrote something, then the reply is "not true", then "Is too", "Na-huh", etc....... but there should be exceptions when a one line reply is really all that is necessary. I feel really stupid sometimes when I write what I have to say, but am afraid that it will not take up a second line, so I end up writing something like, "that was all I really had to say, but to keep the mods happy, I am writing a second line". To me, that's really dumb!

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Ohh... don't get me started, lol.

1). First pet peeve is being called a 'Poppy Stomper' or 'Hippie', because i don't believe we should be in Iraq. I was also going to use the word 'Bush Basher' but i am not going to argue with that, as i would give him a bashing with a big pole if i had the chance.

2). As with the post above me, i hate the one liner rule. Sometimes there is not need for more then one line.

3). The Spelling Police, i myself am not the best at spelling or grammar, but as long as the posts are readable and you get what they are saying i can not see the problem. I even see some of the so called 'great spellers' who make mistakes allot. Personally i think it is a way for these people to boost the small ego's and make themselves feel better about there own silly real lives.

Ahh... i feel so better, but no doubt some one will show me a mistake somewhere in this post.

Pickle.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
My pet peeve is very rare on this site, and very limited. But their is one poster who really sticks out and does the same thing all the time.

The posters who post in EVERY thread and say nothing! Alls they says is hahahah thats funny

or, YOUR SO RIGHT!

We dont need cheerleaders here on ATS, and if we do get them, bring pictures atleast.

Again I say, this is very rare, but when a poster does come along, they are everywhere and it really grinds my grits!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join