What is your ATS/BTS pet peeve?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
My biggest pet peeve about ATS/BTS is spelling. I can't put a number to how many times I've read a good post. You know, a post that makes some intelligent, poignant remarks or insightful opinion. But, I can't help but notice that there will be spelling errors which lead me, unconsciously, to think "less" of the post and what is being said.

All I can say is use a spell check application before you post! To make it really simple, get the "google tool bar". There is a good spell check app right on the tool bar. And, if you do have such an application, all that I can say is "use it !!!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
My biggest pet peeve about ATS/BTS is spelling. I can't put a number to how many times I've read a good post. You know, a post that makes some intelligent, poignant remarks or insightful opinion. But, I can't help but notice that there will be spelling errors which lead me, unconsciously, to think "less" of the post and what is being said.

Just kidding. You have to remember BT that this is an international community and English is a second language to many. In fact we require that English be used, so we have to give people leeway. Damn man, they took the time to come this far let's meet others half-way.

Secondly, this text speak isn't going 2 go away. U know what I mean?

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I know...speeling.

Just keep in mind that the international scale of ATS DOES include members who have english as a second (or third) language.

Just my two pennies...

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
My other pet peeve is when we Mods decide to brain-channel as witnessed above.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
My other pet peeve is when we Mods decide to brain-channel as witnessed above.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Oh, thank you for asking! I've been a member for less than a month, and I already have a huge pet peeve. The "prove it" people.

Not the ones who ask for more evidence -with good reason, the ones who do nothing but shoot down the conversation by saying "Prove it" -for no good reason. There can be 15 posts with links to evidence and certain people will still demand "proof" to be laid out in detail in front of them. These same people will either find a new place to demand proof (if you waste the time and bandwidth to copy everything out) or tell you you're wrong, stupid, and anti- whatever it is they support. I didn't join for name calling, finger pointing, or bullying. I joined to contribute something worthwhile.
(LOL, and instead I rant here. Sorry)

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Busymind
Oh, thank you for asking! I've been a member for less than a month, and I already have a huge pet peeve. The "prove it" people.

Not the ones who ask for more evidence -with good reason, the ones who do nothing but shoot down the conversation by saying "Prove it" -for no good reason. There can be 15 posts with links to evidence and certain people will still demand "proof" to be laid out in detail in front of them. These same people will either find a new place to demand proof (if you waste the time and bandwidth to copy everything out) or tell you you're wrong, stupid, and anti- whatever it is they support. I didn't join for name calling, finger pointing, or bullying. I joined to contribute something worthwhile.
(LOL, and instead I rant here. Sorry)

Exactly, well said.
To add to your post, "I don't recognize your source, it's.......". Damn I hate that. Too much partisan junk.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
My ATS/BTS pet peeve is..... Rude people!!!

The kind of posters that are unable to carry on a discussion in a civil manner. I see them everywhere here and I've come to the sad conclusion that many people think that the object of the 'game' is to beat your 'opponent'.

Good lord people, if we were all right all the time there would be no need for ATS would there????

Disagreement=OK, Rudeness=Not OK

I don't tolerate that kind of behaviour in real life from people and I'm certainly not going to pay attention to a complete stranger on a discussion board trying to make himself feel better by belittling others.

If you can't make your point without being a rude, abrasive SOB then you could be the rightest person that ever lived, and people still aren't going to want to listen to it.

Thank you for letting me have this little rant on your thread. I feel much better now.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I think grammar may be my biggest bug... Not the small, almost insignificant mistakes either. It's the really stupid mistakes, especially the ones made by people who've been speaking English their whole lives...

Spelling aggravates me as well, but I'd rather see "beleef" in some random post before stupid things like "My beliefs is..."

But grammar's my bug in speaking as well. I can't stand it when my sister will say things like "They was this, we was that."

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I only have one pet peeve. Those blooming blinking ads. I hate them.

I dotn midn teh speleing errors so muhc cuz iz dizlexsik.

I suppose don't have to admit it for you to see that proper grammar is not my forte either so I tend to overlook that also too.

But those darn ads. Oooooo

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
My PP?

non-succinctness

succinctness is power...

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

My PP?

non-succinctness

succinctness is power...

I am your god.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Well GOOD!
I pray to you , and your sharpened pencil!

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
My biggest ATS pet-peeve so far has to be the people who demand evidence from someone's opinion.

Example:

"I think this government file might be a decoy."
"Where's your evidence?"

-Chris

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This is easy. People who are quick to take offense. Even when it may appear to be warranted. Virtually all here are anonymous. How can you take something personally when it's coming from someone who doesn't know you personally? And it's not like you're face-to-face.

Some very interesting threads have been derailed by someone feeling insulted or otherwise put out by someone else's posting. Suddenly the invectives are flying and feelings are hurt.
It seems the overall intelligence level of members is above average, and if someone really says something stupid, readers will know. It won't be necessary to respond in kind. The goofs will end up eliminating themselves. Except for me. I'm staying.

Lighten up, people.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I was posting in the word association thread the other day and gave a one word answer and the thread couldn't be posted because I wasn't contributing to the quality of the discussion.

I was baffled to say the least.

Peace

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
My pet peeve is people that react to or resort to labels instead of open mindedly reading the information. After all this is all about opening your mind.(wo drugs)

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Im not a great speller and sometimes I get words wrong, but think leway should be given on bad spelling as were not composing novels here, but communicating ,which is why text language evolved. If you can make out the meaning of a word even if its spelt wrong ain't that enough? I mean its communication not elocution.I do make an effort to correct my spelling but something always slips through which is unavoidable.

So my pet hate is....the spelling police, who dont only operate on ats/bts but most internet forums.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
My pet peeve is that everybody has cooler names and avatars then I do.

I thought my name was just for log in purposes so I used a common one that I use. But nope, I am robinm... that sucks. I can't change it either apparently.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
My huge pet peeve is when I disagree with someone, and am labeled "sheeple" or "bushie" or anything else. The lack of respect for differing opinions drives me up the wall like you wouldn't believe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join