It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Holocaust Survivors Unearth Their Buried Treasures Near Majdanek Death Camp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Jewellery and precious objects have been unearthed near Majdanek death camp in Poland by four Australian holocaust survivors. The survivors were taken to the death camps as part of a documentary being filmed about Majdanek and one of the survivors was able to point out the place that they stood in long lines waiting to be "classified" with most being sent to the gas chambers. Rings, watches and an 1894 gold coin were among the 50 items unearthed by the survirors which had been buried by them in 1943.

www.news.com.au
FOUR Holocaust survivors from Australia have found jewellery and other precious objects they and other prisoners buried some 62 years ago near Majdanek death camp in eastern Poland, the head of the camp's museum said today.

"Four survivors - Polish Jews who were sent to Majdanek by the Germans after the Warsaw ghetto uprising in the spring of 1943 - were able to indicate the place where they and their loved ones hid valuable personal possessions," said museum director Edward Balawajder.

"It's a real treasure, not only because of its financial worth but because it is proof of the tragedy which occurred in the death camps," said Mr Balawajder.

At Majdanek death camp, set up by the Nazis near the eastern Polish city of Lublin, 360,000 people died between 1941 and 1944, either in the gas chamber or at the hands of firing squads.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is sad but now a part of history we must remember in order to never let it happen again. I am happy for the survivors, it took much courage to go and face the demons of the death camps.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I agree. I wonder what the people who refute the hollocaust will say about this one..."oh, they went before hand and burried their treasure so they could find it while being filmed" ?

I'm glad they got to go back and recover their lost goods.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
someone tell me why would they wait so long before getting the stuff back. why didnt they recover that stuff like 50 years ago?

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I guess it wouldn't have been a simple task. Things change in 50 years, the property that it was buried in may have been built over. They may have thoguht it would no longer be there. It may have pained them too much to go back. There could have been a number of reasons.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   

someone tell me why would they wait so long before getting the stuff back. why didnt they recover that stuff like 50 years ago?

Your kidding right? They were in a death camp.. a DEATH camp. Would you say "hey yeah I just got out of this death camp where over 300,000 people were murdered... i better go back and dig up my watch..."....

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by moonchild

I assume a fair amount of the 'spoils' probably have been in circulation for some time.. if you buy an antique ring for instance there'd be no way of knowing whether it was retrieved from an amputated finger. I assume there would be other buried posessions at other death camps.. Nazis may have had it buried either because they realised they were losing the war and intended to come back for it.. or possibly to hide evidence with the intention of levelling the buildings themselves as well.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Yes but if I'm not mistaken.. it says that "they".. the survivors and their families burried the items themselves.. not the nazis. I assume while they were waiting to be processed.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The Nazis would have ordered them to do it.. if they were well enough to work prisoners would be the ones to sort through clothes, jewellery etc and they would also do thing like grave digging.. they were used as a resource.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I think either im confused or you are. My understanding from the article is that THESE survivors burried THEIR stuff while waiting on line to be processed... so as to avoid the Nazi's even getting their hands on it.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Yeah I missread it.. stands to reason that would have happened.. I'd probably do the same thing rather than have them profit from it.

[edit on 16-11-2005 by riley]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Many pople of jewish origin buried their preasures at the time to save them from the nazis but all in vain. Many died taking the secrets with them to the grave. Treasure can and would be buried all over these parts in isolated pockets, to be found at some time in the future and hopefully treasured by not only the owners, but the world.

Many more farmed their treasures into Swiss banks. This in many cases was in vain to. Survivors with no identification and families left behind with no codes and numbers have tried for many years to recover from the banks these treasures.

[edit on 16-11-2005 by Mayet]

new topics

top topics

join