It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

O'Reilly Resorts To McCarthyism, Plans To Publish Online Enemies List

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Last week Bill O'Reilly announced that terrorists should go ahead and blow up San Francisco. This week Bill has announced that he will post a list of enemies and anti-military websites. His efforts, in the grand style of McCarthyism, are being garnered to intimidate and shame readers who do not agree with the O'Reilly Factor.

thinkprogress.org
Last Tuesday, Bill O’Reilly encouraged terrorists to target San Francisco because he was upset that the city voted to ban military recruiters from high-school and college campuses. O’Reilly said “if Al Qaeda comes in here and blows you up, we’re not going to do anything about it. We’re going to say, look, every other place in America is off limits to you, except San Francisco.”

O’Reilly promised to publish the names of everyone who supported these “internet smear sites” on his website:

I’m glad the smear sites made a big deal out of it. Now we can all know who was with the anti-military internet crowd. We’ll post the names of all who support the smear merchants on billoreilly.com. So check with us.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

McCarthyism surfaces as the anti-war heat turns on Capital Hill and its chickenhawk pundits.
O’Reilly's A-list stands to polarize even more of those who do not agree with the Neocon agenda.

Here's the O’Reilly video announcing his A-list plans

O'Reilly to San Francisco: "If Al Qaeda comes in here and blows you up,
we're not going to do anything about it. You want to blow up the Coit Tower?
Go ahead" mp3

O'Reilly to San Francisco: You're Out of the US - The Nation.
Bill O'Reilly takes aim at San Francisco - MSNBC

Watch for the A-List coming soon, will ATS be on it?
billoreilly.com

[edit on 15-11-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I have emailed him begging to be added to his special list.

Seriously though, I watch his show pretty regularly. I enjoy seeing what the "other side" has to say. It seems that lately he is getting pretty nutty though. He and Sean Hannity are walking so far out on the edge I wonder how long Fox will support them.

They pretend to be journalist but in reality it is just talk radio with a camera. I wish they would stop calling themselves journalist and call themselves what they are, right wing talking heads. I would still watch, but I would have more respect for them.

Well let's see if Bill gets his little list going, all he is going to do is drive more people to those sites. Who knows maybe a few will find some truth in what they read.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
How many people actually take him seriously?
Not many. I am only concerned that the few
who do could 'kook out' and go after people.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
To me he is sounding more and more like Pat Roberts - crazy poop spewing out of their mouths.

I find it hard to believe that anyone listens to these people.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I'm just a smear-merchant wanna be.

O'Reilly asks, "Can you imagine this happening during WWII"?

My answer is, no. Weren't people pretty gung-ho about joining the military and fighting for their country during that time? Wasn't that war supported a lot more strongly than this 'war'?

Did they even have military recruiters 'living at' the schools, then?

[edit on 15-11-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
bh actually during ww2 our people were more anti-war than now...well in regards to the european front anyways, from what i've read..

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
First, let me say that McCarthy was actually right on nearly every case.

Secondly, let me ask: You actually bother watching the Factor? Wow!

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Well, i will probably get in trouble for saying this but i think ATS needs to be added to this list. IMHO.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
What list?

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well, if thats the case, then YOU will be on the list too!

Who listens to him? I do, just for grins. I like to be entertained by merchants of venum.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
the lest of left-wing smear tactic websites i do believe this is what he was trying to get put out on the web, I for one am tired of hearing half-truths and lies presented as fact and evidence.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   

ThomasCrowne

McCarthy was right on nearly every case.

TC - Can you please explain McCarthy's position on Linus Pauling? In 1950, Pauling described how the actin protein folds and misfolds in its a and b conformations. Then he was accused of being a communist, which damaged his credibility and minimized the importance of his work. The 'commie' accusation helped shift attention away from infectious disease back to genetics and eugenics - and finally, camouflaged the growing epidemic of diseases related to misfolded actin (an infectious prion).

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Comparing a cable news blowhard to a Senator with real power is laughable. With O'Reilly, you can simply switch the channel, but it's a bit hard to ignore a Congressional subpoena.

I actually agree with O'Reilly here, I wouldn't spend my money in SF after this appalling decision.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
To answer your question Thomas Crowne, I try and watch the O'Reilly Factor every day.

The only news that I'll watch on TV besides C-SPAN is the O'Reilly Factor and The Daily Show.

I've found that it's the best way for sorting out truth in the news media; one show is blatant propaganda which obfuscates the truth while the other is satire which cuts to the truth.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I actually agree with O'Reilly here, I wouldn't spend my money in SF after this appalling decision.

What is so appalling about it? Creating scholarships and training programs? Alternatives to military? What's the appalling part?

The measure does not block recruiters from trolling campuses for potential soldiers. Such a ban would result in schools losing federal funding.

The proposition calls on city and school officials to create scholarship and training programs that give students viable alternatives to signing up for military service.

Emphasis added.

SF Voters Take a Stand

O'Reilly's just a Drama Queen.

[edit on 15-11-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
My take on this, FWIW, is this:

Did O'Reilly serve? And more relevantly, does he have children who are serving? If the answer is no, then he should shut up and let the people of SF decide how they want to run their city. Saying that the terrorists should take SF pretty much sums up O'Reilly and blowhards like him: if you don't see things my way, then you deserve to die. The world needs less people like him.

[edit on 15-11-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
O'Reilly is nothing more than a talking head that is paid to get ratings for the Fox News network.

And you don't even want to hear what I think about the "news" today.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
He's got his panties in a tangle because Williams made some money promoting the No Child Left Behind Act that got the recruiters in those schools in the first place with access to names, addresses, phone numbers of students eligible for the draft. And you thought that law was about getting public schools up to speed...

Armstrong Williams payola scandal ... [Media Matters]
Boortz: Williams "under such heat" because No Child Left Behind, ... pundit Armstrong Williams of $240000 to promote the No Child Left Behind law ...
mediamatters.org/topics/armstrongwilliams.html - 45k - Nov 15, 2005

CNN.com - Columnist axed after taking cash to promote Bush plan ...
... Williams accepted federal payments to push the No Child Left Behind Act. ... not use paid advertising, instead airing only public service announcements. ...
www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/01/08/bush.journalist/

No Child Left Behind Act, Military Recruiter Provisions & Opt Out
Guide: the No Child Left Behind Act’s Military Recruitment Provision & Opt-Out Practice ... How districts are dealing with the law ...
www.rcnv.org/counterrecruit/optout/

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Oh, and the first link in my last post, Media Matters, is at the TOP of his list. He HATES them with a passion--because they're onto him.

No Child Left Behind Act, Public Law 107-110. Signed into law on January 8, 2002.

This law seems real iffy when it comes to privacy rights. Kids records, names, addresses, PHONE NUMBERS, email, are put in data banks for the military to get their grubby hands on.

And it's Law, a Patriot Act for our children:

SEC. 9528. ARMED FORCES RECRUITER ACCESS TO STUDENTS AND STUDENT RECRUITING INFORMATION.

(a) POLICY-

(1) ACCESS TO STUDENT RECRUITING INFORMATION- Notwithstanding section 444(a)(5)(B) of the General Education Provisions Act and except as provided in paragraph (2), each local educational agency receiving assistance under this Act shall provide, on a request made by military recruiters or an institution of higher education, access to secondary school students names, addresses, and telephone listings.

(2) CONSENT- A secondary school student or the parent of the student may request that the student's name, address, and telephone listing described in paragraph (1) not be released without prior written parental consent, and the local educational agency or private school shall notify parents of the option to make a request and shall comply with any request.

(3) SAME ACCESS TO STUDENTS- Each local educational agency receiving assistance under this Act shall provide military recruiters the same access to secondary school students as is provided generally to post secondary educational institutions or to prospective employers of those students.

(b) NOTIFICATION- The Secretary, in consultation with the Secretary of Defense, shall, not later than 120 days after the date of enactment of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, notify principals, school administrators, and other educators about the requirements of this section.

(c) EXCEPTION- The requirements of this section do not apply to a private secondary school that maintains a religious objection to service in the Armed Forces if the objection is verifiable through the corporate or other organizational documents or materials of that school.

(d) SPECIAL RULE- A local educational agency prohibited by Connecticut State law (either explicitly by statute or through statutory interpretation by the State Supreme Court or State Attorney General) from providing military recruiters with information or access as required by this section shall have until May 31, 2002, to comply with that requirement.

www.ed.gov...

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
It would appear to me that Mr.O'Reilly touched a nerve in many in The People's Republic of San Francisco, just as he has with some who have commented to this topic. Incidentally, those who have commented outrage at what Mr. O'Reilly had said within this very topic have taken what position concerning this war on terrorism? Think about it, cause it is quite self-evident to me.

Be assured, Mr. O'Reilly is dancing one hell'va jig because one cannot buy the kind of PR that he is getting over this.

Also, be sure that while your whining, crying, and expressing your outrage over what Mr.O'Reilly said concerning a city that most inhabitants of San Francisco say is so far wacky left it is not even funny, that you understand the implications of what San Francisco is proposing. Obviously you won't, cause it would require some of you to think objectively rather than subjectively. No matter, the population of San Francisco will continue to drop, as those who lived there move from it. I will definately be waiting for the next Hollywood blockbuster: Escape from San Francisco.

But hey, in the case of the madman Bill O'Reilly, even a broken clock is correct twice a day?

seekerof

[edit on 15-11-2005 by Seekerof]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join