It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents of Autistic Children Share Similar Brain Features

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Recent studies show that parents and close relatives of autistic patients share similar brain abnormalities. It is unknown, however, why for some these abnormalities do not manifest into the disorder. While a genetic component to the condition has long been suspected, these findings are the first to demonstrate a similarity in brain anatomy shared between autistic individuals and their relatives.

www.nature.com
People can have physical brain abnormalities similar to those found in autistic individuals without having the disorder themselves. These results come from two studies, which were presented at a conference over the weekend. Brain scans show striking similarities between the brains of autistic patients and those of their non-autistic parents and siblings.

The results are prompting researchers to ask how some people can be unaffected by brain deficits that cause such pronounced behavioural abnormalities in others.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The numbers of autistic children in the past 20 years is very alarming. Most believe that autism is likely caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. The question I would have is whether there are those who have lineages with this brain structure without autistic offspring and how far back those go.

[edit on 18-11-2005 by asala]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This is interesting stuff. Autism is a terrible condition that takes a terrible toll on the entire family. I have worked with several autistic children and have found them to be quite engaging in their own way, but it would be a great step forward to find some means to help them to be more engaged with the world around them.

I have heard good things about this revolutionary approach:

www.autismtreatmentcenter.org...

[edit on 2005/11/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Well it makes sense but it would be interesting to find out exactly what triggers it in the child. For example would both parents need this abnormality or is it just like pot luck in the gene pool of eggs and sperm, like for example which parent the child looks like and so on.

Is there something environmental that causes it or is it strictly genetic ? There are so many questions about Autism and nowhere near enough answers. its great to hear of breakthorughs like this in research.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I read somewhere, so I don't have the link to back it up, that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Autism have some related features. The doctor was saying that Autism and CFS could be cured by the same mechanism, which I didn't understand. The part I did get was that it was probably a combination of genetic factors and viral, bacterial or environmental triggers that initiated the illnesses. If the trigger happened before a certain age you got Autism, if it happened after this age then your brain had developed enough to perform fairly normally but you got the symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I really didn't understand it all, so I am afraid I am not making much sense. Maybe a google of Autism and CFS would help.
Just thought it was an interesting angle.

top topics

join