It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: USPS To Raise Stamp Prices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The United States Postal Service will be raising the price of a first-class stamp by two cents in January, as well as the price of many other post services. The price hike is meant to implement a 2003 Congressional mandate for the USPS to amass $3.1 billion in cash reserves. The Postal Service says it wouldn't have had to raise prices absent the Congressional mandate.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - The cost of mailing a letter will increase to 39 cents on Jan. 8.

The Postal Service's board of governors approved the two-cent increase in first-class postal rates late Monday. It is the first increase since June 2002.

The cost of mailing a postcard will increase a penny, to 24 cents, as part of the roughly 5.4 percent, across-the-board hike in most rates and fees.

The increase fulfills a requirement, passed by Congress in 2003, that the Postal Service establish a $3.1 billion escrow account. Congress is to determine later how to spend that money. The Postal Service said without the mandate it would not have had to raise rates next year.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This sounds suspiciously like an attempt by Congress to get its grubby hands on more money. The idea of the USPS to have a cash reserve is good, but I'm afraid as soon as it starts building up, Congress is going to raid it for pork projects.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Spot on Dj

I have a friend and client that work for the postal service. According to them the USPS had quite the escrow just a few years back. Over the past few years they've been more or less told to spend , spend, spend. Salary increases, overtime available out the ying-yang and such. The reason being is the postal service is not to be a profitable business, or at least not on paper.

I, too, see this as just another avenue of revenue for Congress, et al, to add to their coffers.

[scenario]
"Let's see ... hmmm ... whatta ya think folks? Social Security is receiving last rights, we already make more off a gallon of gasoline than the the oil companies ... hmmm?"

" Well ...[reaching into the desk drawer]... you know?, we haven't even opened this envelope yet ..."
[/scenario]

[edit on 11/15/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Of course it is, dj. Your suspicions are well founded:

The increase fulfills a requirement, passed by Congress in 2003, that the Postal Service establish a $3.1 billion escrow account. Congress is to determine later how to spend that money.

Weren't we told that this was supposed to bolster the USPS pension fund? Or was that the last increase?

At any rate, I heard that there will be another increase very soon!

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I never send things via USPS except for my credit card bill, cellphone bill, and electric bill.
All other bills are paid face to face.
Packages are all sent FedEx.
Cell phone, Email, and instant messages are how I keep in touch.

This is great IMO.
Hopefully this will force a stop to all my junk mail from credit card companies because of the cost to send out and recieve the paperwork.

As is, I shred all the papers and send them back to them in the provided "postage paid" envelopes.
My little way of sticking it to the man

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Internet killed the video star wait I mean Snail mail

The USPS lost alot of revenue due to the proliferation of email. I personally dont mind paying a few extra cents for the rare times I send snail mail.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
mrjones,

As is, I shred all the papers and send them back to them in the provided "postage paid" envelopes.
My little way of sticking it to the man

NOT a bad idea ... hmmm

However, if you take the time to look at the current postal rates as well as the proposed rate increases, you will find that the "mass" corporate mailers have and will continue to receive discounted preferential rates. A shared labor approach. This is one of the gripes put forth by traditional print advertising. The rate increases put forth will have minimal financial effect on those receiving your "shredded" response", so don't expect any significant decrease in the amount of credit card offers, low rate insurance plans, etc.

If you truly want to see who will provide the monies required to create this $3.whateverB so-called escrow take a look in the mirror, or ask your friend, neighbor, relative, local small business owner, etc. to do so.

Peace2All
p.s. mrjones ... I do applaud your approach

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
If the USPS depended on me for revenues, it would have gone bust long ago. I spend maybe two dollars a year on postage.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm surprised they didn't raise it now ... when everyone is
buying Christmas stamps and mailing Christmas packages.

I remember when they raised the price to 8 cents and everyone
was upset. ha ha ... I'm getting sooooooo old!

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I hope they stay in business... I collect stamps.

Ya know... I kind of like the idea of sending stuff back in the prepaid envelopes, but ... Instead of taking the time to grind it up, I send company A stuff back to company B and vice versa... It's fun, unprofitable, and I'm sure it costs the company when someone has to take time to read it, simply to find that it isn't filled out and it's from a competitor...

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I hope they stay in business... I collect stamps.

Ya know... I kind of like the idea of sending stuff back in the prepaid envelopes, but ... Instead of taking the time to grind it up, I send company A stuff back to company B and vice versa... It's fun, unprofitable, and I'm sure it costs the company when someone has to take time to read it, simply to find that it isn't filled out and it's from a competitor...

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I can't remember the last time I mailed something. All of my bills are paid electronically.

And, I'm also suprised that everyone is discussing whether or not they even mail anything anymore, yet only a few people have commented on the $3.1 billion "surplus" that Congress gets to do whatever it wants with.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86

I'd shred it, if I were you. Otherwise, it might end up in the hands of someone who looks at how their competition is doing business. Then they'll just figure out more ways to annoy us.

I like my Citgo gas card envelope. It has the plastic window where their address is supossed to show up, and in the spot where you put the "From" adddress is Their Address printed once again.

You know what happens if you forget to put a stamp on your bill?

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
hate to burst the bubble on peoples dreams of bankrupting 'teh man' by sending garbage back in those business reply (BRM) envelopes, but they in general cost the company between $0.06 down to $0.008 per piece mailed back. USPS DMM entry on BRM mail some cost upwards of $0.60 to return but those are for very small mailings or large return packages afaik. stuffing it with rocks, lead, etc won't even make it past teh post office either, sorry.

So basically, for all those they get in (not many) it costs more to print out the report of the sum total they owe for that particular batch of legit mails than the one phony one you sent in that some minimum wage data processor opened and discarded without thinking.

Yes, I have worked on both sides of those fields.

new topics

top topics

join