It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 50 birds die in British quarantine from bird flu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   

More than 50 birds die in British quarantine from bird flu

Fifty-three finches from Taiwan have died at a British quarantine centre because of an outbreak of the most deadly strain of avian flu, the government said.

The birds, southeast Asian mesias, also described as finches, died last month of the highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N1 strain, the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) said Tuesday.

"Only the mesias were infected with H5N1 and 53 out of 101 birds died," it said.

The department also said it was not possible to know if a parrot from Surinam had in fact died from the same virus, as the tissues of the two species were mixed during testing.

"Infection with H5N1 was transmitted between the mesias, but there is no evidence of transmission to other species in the facility," it said.

"The original identification of HPAI H5N1 on October 21 was made from a pool of tissues derived from a Pionus parrot (Surinam) and a mesia (Taiwan)," the department said.

"It has not been possible to say whether the virus isolated came from the parrot tissue or the mesia tissue or both. However, in the light of the other evidence the balance of probabilities is that the source was the mesia sample."

What do they mean they mixed the tissue samples?

Are they kidding?!

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
yes i think they did. I think it may have been doen to speed up the process, insted of doing 50 testes they did 1. im not sure though im not an expert by anyones standards

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
TOO weird isn't it?

Pooling the tissue samples? Like, waiting to see what mates?

Look what I made ma! A new H5N1 hybrid! Aren't I clever?

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Or almost as if they were trying to obscure the source of the infection for some reason.... Why else would you pool tissue samples? It doesn't make sense.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
It doesn't make sense.

It's almost as if we're supposed to be getting the impression that all the people and agencies involved with the security and handling of this disease are completely incompetent.

It's almost as if we're supposed to be kept in a constant state of fear and uncertainty.

Peace

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
IMO - they don't want people to think a fatal strain of H5N1 is in South America. They'd rather blame China, and let their trade take the hit. It's all about money. As usual.

top topics

join