It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You "sell" your country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I am an American, living in Canada. I've lived here since 1979 and it's a great country. However, when I moved to London, Ontario, I recall listening to the CBC when they asked a question on a phone show asking whether Canadians would "sell" their country if each and every Canadian were offered one million dollars (US, of course).

This idea has always sort of stayed with me. First, I was dumbfounded when a majority of callers actually said that they would accept the money and "sell" their country to the US. I just know that Americans would never sell their country for a measly million bucks each.....or would they?

Here's the question; would you sell your country if each and every citizen received one million dollars (or the equivalent)? What country would you hope bought your country and what country would you absolutely NOT sell out to?

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Well sheesh our Government is selling Australia...If they can do it..anyone can

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
~pulls out chequebook~

I'd like to know how much U want for Australia ?

I wanna buy it, who's selling ? lol oh yeah Howard, selling us out

I think America already bought us actually, may wanna look that up

to answer the Q tho, yeah why not, what has it done for me lately ? (oooh ooooh oooh yeah lol)

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
even though i no longer have a great love for England and have lived away from it for nearly 9 years, i still couldnt sell it out...not for any price......

It simply isnt cricket old chap.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
even though i no longer have a great love for England and have lived away from it for nearly 9 years, i still couldn't sell it out...not for any price......

It simply isn't cricket old chap.

Spoken like a true "Brit".... and I don't mean that in a negative way. There is certainly nothing wrong with a patriotic attitude like yours....or at least a love of your "father/mother land" (man this political correctness is starting to wear on me).

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Let's see... (gets out calculator)... About 300 Million people times a million dollars equals Thirty Trillion Bucks. Nope. I wouldn't sell my country for 30 trillion. Um, you can have the Red States though.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't sell. Not for any price.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The company King Win Laurel in China made a $450 billion bid to acquire Exxon Mobil Corp.

sec.gov...

Yep, I know, it turned out to be a prank from a young guy in his apartment.

I think if a legit company seriously dared planning to buy America, Bush would send troops to crush them.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
only for a cheese burger

just joking i would never dream of selling out my country
my birth country and my adopted country

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
With 270 million-odd residents, this would add an instant 270 trillion dollars to the global money supply, overnight.

The value of the dollar would plummet, and I'd have just been paid in worthless scrip, that is now about like the Italian Lira or something.

Besides the which, I figure gray areas would be tied up in court for years:

-what about illegal aliens, do they get a check?

-all the banks we'd have are accounts in are no longer owned by their previous owners, but the new owners.

- the check-clearing companies and dollar printin-presses are now owned by the party of the second part. Nothing to pay with.

- would this apply to private property, or only stuff owned by the Federal Govt? What about states? what about properties for which no title exists, i.e. roads, rivers, songs, etc.?

- are the people for sale too, and now we're all slaves?

See, it'd be chaos, and a million instantly-devalued greenbacks are hardly adequate compensation.

Besides . . .

buy us out? . . . BUY US OUT!?!?!? . . . we'll buy YOU out, bub ! not the other way around!!!!!

top topics

join