It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New combat helicopter: Iranian-Ukrainian-South African project.

page: 1

join
share:
NR

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Since this has been published now, Air Internation this month had a whole page article on the new ANSAT/Sharaf 2. I have scanned a photo as you requested. I will give some more details, since it is no longer a "secret". The joint Iranian/Ukranian/south African project has been underway since 2002. Both IRIAA and IRGC have evaluated the "Sharaf 2" (Iranian designation) in both hot and cold climates as well as endurance and battlefield survivability. Test have proved good and low cost/maintenance for Iranian conditions. It is concurrent with the IR-140 project, so spares will never be a problem. Like I explained before, it is the result of Iranian experiences with Cobra AH-1J and MI-24 Hinds. As you can see this is a hybrid or Cobra on steroids. It is upgunned and with a FLIR with a lot of Rooivalk technology.

The Rooivalk is better suited for Iranian/South African conditions as both countrie shave had extensive battlefield experience. South Africans also fought against the Angolan MI-24's and came to the same conclusion. A low profile and better armed and more manoeuvervable chopper , and considering their African neighbors aren't armed with first world class MBT's anyway, the Kentron/Denel Mokopa anti-tank missille and 20mm cannon is sufficient to destroy T-72's. Howevver, Iran opted for Russian Shturm ATGM system as well as the reliable battle-tested Toophan, which can easily take out any MBT like the M1A1 Abrams and limey Challenger.

In terms of technology it is like a cross between the Cobra and the Ka-28. Iran has opted for a locally built 20mm vucan type canon from previous experience for ground suppression. As can be clearly seen the elevated seating and dual controls are also based on the Iranian Cobra experience. Better view and interchangeable controls.

Prototype

I have also enclosed the weapons systems that are designed for the 75 plus IRIAA/IRGC MI-17MD, including the A loading/unloading ramp and two sliding doors of the cargo cabin make it possible to perform embarkation/debarkation of 35 troopers in just 15 to 20 s.

The Igla (on the left) and the Shturm (on the right) guided missiles on racks
The enlarged port-side sliding door and the unguided rocket pod suspended from the rack

The Mi-17MD with the extended loading ramp and a long-size cargo in the cabin
The protective system against ground-to-air missiles
The crew cabin lighting equipment allows the pilots to use night vision goggles that considerably extend the flight capabilities during dark conditions, improve search conditions of ground objects and victims, and enable the crew to fly special missions at night and perform low-altitude flights.

Upgraded armor for the crew cabin and vital systems protects the helicopter against small arms, while onboard chaff dispensers defend it against ground-to-air heat-homing missiles.

The modernized fuel system enables the helicopter to fly a ferry range of up to 1,600 km and perform patrolling of the assigned area or searches for people in distress lasting 10 to 12 hours.

The Mi-17MD can be used in several versions.

Troop-carrying version. The helicopter is capable of airlifting up to 35 fully armed troopers in the cargo cabin. An enlarged port-side sliding door, as well as a starboard sliding door and a remotely extended loading ramp outfitted with a hydraulic drive enable the heli-borne troopers to embark/debark in a matter of seconds after landing. A training airlanding heliborne system provides for leaving the helicopter in air through two doors and opening of the removed loading ramp. The helicopter's design enables the trooper parties (up to four troopers at a time) to leave the helicopter by means of SU-R cable-type landing facilities while the helicopter hovering at a height of up to 30 m above the ground.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Zafar 300 is a totally different project. Light Scout/Recce based on Bell model 205.

There may be more details elsewhere too I am sure. This is all I know. BTW, the squared canopy is pure HESA along with the AH-1J side fixed weapons hardpoint pylons.

[edit on 15-11-2005 by NR]

[edit on 15-11-2005 by NR]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Nice pics! But I really don't understand why they don't put the radardome/FLIR over the rotor like on the longbow to enable sneaky-spotting-behind-cover-to-stay-alive-longer moves

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Looks exactly like a South African Rooivalk attack chopper built in the mid 1990's.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Pardon me, but to me it kinda looks like the russian attack chopper. forgot its name.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CIA_N
Pardon me, but to me it kinda looks like the russian attack chopper. forgot its name.

you mean the Havoc? sorry but it aint close. its more like the South African helo Rooivalk.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Yeah that is probly what it is, thanks for the help

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Funny, I was just thinking how much it looked like the Eurocopter Tiger.

I still think that attack helicopters are flying coffins in any airspace that has even a basic air defence component. Serbia taught us that.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Looks pretty neat. Looks almost like a cobra or an apache.

EDIT: OK, it's an extension of a Cobra. Now, how in the world did they get their hands on a Cobra?

[edit on 26-11-2005 by RK_Pr0t0c0l]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RK_Pr0t0c0l
EDIT: OK, it's an extension of a Cobra. Now, how in the world did they get their hands on a Cobra?

they got them fron uncle SAM when they were best buddies with the shah in Iran and if the Iranians didn't have a revolution Iran would have a couple of f-16's in their collection of US goodies

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

they got them fron uncle SAM when they were best buddies with the shah in Iran and if the Iranians didn't have a revolution Iran would have a couple of f-16's in their collection of US goodies

Oh, I didn't know the Cobra was that old

Anyways, I don't mean any disrispect, but if Iran really want to kick ass, then it should start by coming up with it's own stuff, because it seems to me like they simply reverse engineer Western technology and claim it as theirs. And more likely the Western powers already know how to counter their own technology. so, it isn't much of an advantage for Iran.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Oh, I didn't know the Cobra was that old

Anyways, I don't mean any disrispect, but if Iran really want to kick ass, then it should start by coming up with it's own stuff, because it seems to me like they simply reverse engineer Western technology and claim it as theirs. And more likely the Western powers already know how to counter their own technology. so, it isn't much of an advantage for Iran.

if the US didnt reverse engineer and use Nazi designs
the US wouldnt have put a man on the moon
or have a stealth bomber since thats copied from nazi concepts and designs
and most other aircraft the US use
same goes to other countries

best way to stay ahead is to build on someone else that way you can improve and it saves you the trouble of designing something from scratch (not that i am saying copying is good)

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
^^ That's true. But the difference is the US brought the brains behind the German projects to work for them; these scientists not only reversed engineer the German project, but they also worked to advance the technology and create new technology.

It's not the same with the Iranians. They would need to bring the scientist who initially worked on the Cobra to really understand the insights and thus be able to come up with something harder to counter.

Your point is taken.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
What we need to realise is its not how big the chopper is or how heavily armed.....if those missiles are fired and they hit the target....we've met our mandate!

new topics

top topics

join