It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Magnitude 6.9 Earthquake Shakes Northern Japan: Tsunami Warning Issued

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
A magnitude 6.9 earthquake has struck Norther Japan. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the quake struck at 6:39 AM local time. A Tsunami warning has been issued for the cities of Iwate, Miyagi, Fukushima and Hokkaido on the Pacific side of the country. There are no reports of injuries at this time

news.yahoo.com
TOKYO - A strong earthquake shook northern Japan Tuesday morning and the country's Meteorological Agency issued tsunami warnings.

The magnitude 6.9 quake struck at 6:39 a.m. the agency said. The U.S. Geological Survey put the magnitude at 7.2. There was no immediate explanation for the discrepancy. The quake hit at a depth of about 15 miles and was centered off the coast of Sanriku in northern Japan, 330 miles east of Tokyo, the USGS said.

The agency said a tsunami could reach Japan's Pacific coastlines between 7:10 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. (5:10 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. EST Monday) in Iwate, Miyagi, Fukushima and Hokkaido, the agency said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Thats a pretty good size quake but Japan is much better prepared for these than most countries. We seem to have to have had quite a large number of large quakes this year. Kind of makes me nervous being a few miles from the San Andreas fault.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Deleted, erroneous information.

[edit on 11/14/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
U.S. Geological site says the water will only rise 20 inches but they are worried that once it hits shore it will swell as I understand it.

Also no damage is expected which is good news.

EVALUATION

NO DESTRUCTIVE PACIFIC-WIDE TSUNAMI THREAT EXISTS BASED ON
HISTORICAL EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI DATA.

HOWEVER - EARTHQUAKES OF THIS SIZE SOMETIMES GENERATE LOCAL
TSUNAMIS THAT CAN BE DESTRUCTIVE ALONG COASTS LOCATED WITHIN
A HUNDRED KILOMETERS OF THE EARTHQUAKE EPICENTER. AUTHORITIES
IN THE REGION OF THE EPICENTER SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS
POSSIBILITY AND TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION.

THIS WILL BE THE ONLY BULLETIN ISSUED FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE.

www.prh.noaa.gov...

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Apparently Japan already got hit with the tsunamis and they were extremely small (4 inches) and no threat.

A tsunami alert was issued by Japan's meteorological agency, but later lifted after two small waves a few centimetres high hit the coastline.

BBC News

That storys from august........just to point out

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I was woken by that quake this morning. Pretty intense. I live in the area mentioned, so I am happy to report no tsunami worth talking about.

It was an unusual quake though. Most start off strong and fade in intensity, but this one suddenly picked up in intensity and got stronger about half way through.

No aftershocks yet. No injuries or damage to report either.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
That storys from august........just to point out

Oops, someone posted that in another thread and I didn't look at the date!

Sorry!

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The Tsunami's have hit but with no damage at all. The waves were measured from 4-12 inches

A 12-inch tsunami wave hit the city of Ofunato, and two 4- to 8-inch waves generated by the quake struck two other towns in the area, the agency said. Tsunami waves — those generated by earthquakes — are often barely noticeable in the ocean but can rise to great heights once they arrive at shore. There were no immediate reports of damage.
Little Waves!

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The Tsunami's have hit but with no damage at all. The waves were measured from 4-12 inches

Good news always better safe then sorry. I assume they made the prediction of 20 inches based on the Higher level that was reported and unexplained at 7.2

BTW there was also a warning issued for Alaska at the same time that had similar warnings stating no damage was expected.

[edit on 11/14/2005 by shots]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuchisthedoggy
I was woken by that quake this morning. Pretty intense. I live in the area mentioned, so I am happy to report no tsunami worth talking about.

It was an unusual quake though. Most start off strong and fade in intensity, but this one suddenly picked up in intensity and got stronger about half way through.

No aftershocks yet. No injuries or damage to report either.

Thank God! My partner lives around there, I am not sure of the area, but I am glad that all is ok

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I lived in Japan for three years (1983-1986).
We had TONS of earthquakes. They were frequent
and they were strong. We had a few tidal waves
as well.

From what I understand - the Kanto plane is supposed
to 'slide into the ocean' just like Los Angeles is.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
Thank God! My partner lives around there, I am not sure of the area, but I am glad that all is ok

Yeah, no biggie really. It didn't even get mentioned in the office this morning. It is now 9:15am and nothing to report. As mentioned above the ahhhhh....."tsunami"..hit at about 7:30ish and was only a small swell. So no sweat.

It does mention in other reports that quake back in August. Now that was an earhtquake!! Mag. 6 where I live. Once you experience one of those, this mornings quake is really not worth talking about!!! Also, after seeing the videos of the Indonesian Tsunami, seeing a little wave go splish on the Japanese coastline really doesn't warrent any concern!

top topics

join