It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we see a real running man type show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I was watching the "running man" the other day. You know the movie with arnold shwartzenegger. It got me thinking. I have long suspected that gladiator type of entertainment will make a comeback. Instead of christians being thrown to lions we'll have rebels and patriots dodge gunmen and guys of motorcycles with chainsaws. I can really see this happening because we have so many shows like fear factor and survivor. SHows have to find new ways of getting viewers attention. It may be that the ultimate ratings will be is to have someone die on national TV in some kind of gameshow.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The way I see it, it could only happen if:

a) We were somehow living in total anarchism, with no rules, and some rascals set up the "show".

b) A terrible one world government forcing us into it.

But I don't think either is likely, seeing as the world in general has some sense of morality left. Great movie though
(the books better
)

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Or if the politicians thought they could make enough money.
I guess that Los Vegas could make quite a bit as well.
Wonder how mutch they would charge for a pay-per-view?
Can you imagine the sponser money that would be pouring in?
OOOO Can't forget about ACTION FIGURES!
If you look at it from a greed aspect... Anything's possable.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I guess they are getting everyone ready for this kind of reality TV with games like Unreal Tournament and Quake Arena

I also only see this happening when corporation or goverments get into a position where they are above the law.

I'm pritty sure that there are "deathmatch" type fights going on in illegal circuits already. But as mainstream entertainment it won't happen for quite some time.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
I guess they are getting everyone ready for this kind of reality TV with games like Unreal Tournament and Quake Arena

I also only see this happening when corporation or goverments get into a position where they are above the law.

I'm pritty sure that there are "deathmatch" type fights going on in illegal circuits already. But as mainstream entertainment it won't happen for quite some time.

watching a guy get killed on tv is the biggest thrill ever for primetime

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
From time to time some unfortunate ultimate fighters are dying, but it was accidental because the goal of the tournaments was to KO the opponent not to kill him.

I doubt we'll see deadly games on TV any time soon, it's not even practiced in lawless countries like Somalia, at least not that I know of. Deathmatches may be fun to watch, but who would want to play?

In 2000 a clever guy in Houston played russian roulette with a semi-auto pistol, now that's entertainment!

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I think it's quite possible and I'm suprised it's not being done now

People have been killing each other for entertainment for centuries

why not show it on TV and make money on it?

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
You'll see televised excutions before real 'reality' TV. Maybe it will all start will the televised excution of Saddam?

PKD

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Between Survivor and UFC, we're pretty close to a Running Man. Give it 10 years. Something along those lines will crop up. And it will attract the most veiwers in history. I'd watch just to see how closely science fiction predicted the future.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
My question is this, "Do you truly want to see it!"

What's it take to satiate the need? ...

"No way? ..."
"Did you see that? ..."
"Was that for real? ..."
"I did not just watch that? ..."
"OMG!"
"WTF?!"
... and on and on and on ...

If it's what our society craves, then Yes it will most likely come to fruition. Is that what you truly want? Is that part of your contribution to society as a whole?

How are we as a race, the human race, ever to appreciate our true potential while we seem to focus our energies on the negative aspects of our nature?

Peace2All

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
My question is this, "Do you truly want to see it!"

Yes absolutely. It would almost be a sexual orgasm to see a man die on live TV. we as a society we are ascending new heights of immorality and lawlessness.
There isn't a shortage of macho men who would be willing to kill and there are alot of people who would take a chance of either dying or winning 10 million dollars. such an event would rake in so much money. bookies would be millionaires overnight.
I woldn't be surprised if arnie himself bankrolled or hosted one of these shows himself one day

top topics

join