It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Politics: Liberals hand out tax gifts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Sadly this will work on many Canadians.

A Liberal government on day-to-day life support rolled out six years worth of largesse Monday, hoping $29 billion in promised tax cuts will help Canadian voters forget the sponsorship scandal.

Staring into the abyss of a threatened holiday season election,
Prime Minister Paul Martin turned his government's fall economic statement into a full-blown mini-budget and Liberal campaign parachute. It is a blindingly obvious document.

Starting with what Finance Minister Ralph Goodale counts as an underlying $13.4-billion surplus in 2005-06, the Liberals say they'll shower voters with retroactive tax breaks totalling $5.3 billion this fiscal year alone.

A two-income family of four earning $60,000 would pay $499 less in taxes in 2006 if the Liberal plan is implemented.

news.yahoo.com...

It goes on and on. Funny how they start spending like lottery winners once election pressure hits.

I hate them all ! I say that as nice as I can.

[edit on 14-11-2005 by Dulcimer]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
They mean giving back people's own money... It's almost like they're admitting that they have more money then they know what to do with, but b/c of the scandal they are willing to pay some of it back... tax and spend liberals, they are the same everywhere. except when they've been caught w/ their hand in the methaphoric cookie jar.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer

It goes on and on. Funny how they start spending like lottery winners once election pressure hits.

Yep. This is the same strategy Ralph Klien used in the last Alberta Provincial election.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Giving back our own money is quite accurate. $9 billion surplus, jeez. Let's look at the other side of the coin though. The last Tory gov't sold away the West AND the East to Ont. and Queb. Want a repeat of that type of gov?

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Yay more disposable income to fill up that increasingly expensive to fill up SUV ... They probably think that Canadians are so shallow that we will lap it up like milk. They're probably right. I can think of 10 better things to spend that surplus on other then buying votes.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Yay more disposable income to fill up that increasingly expensive to fill up SUV ... They probably think that Canadians are so shallow that we will lap it up like milk. They're probably right. I can think of 10 better things to spend that surplus on other then buying votes.

Like the debt? They would never do that, that makes sense. Sad isn't it. Shoring up healthcare? Damn, there's that sense thing again. Don't get me wrong sardion, I'm agreeing with you. When's the last time our gov. did anything that DID make sense? Aside from not going into Iraq.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well Cretien was all about Paying the debt which I believe is partly responsible
for a larger then expected surplus (no brainer less interest = bigger surplus)
Even though he was a Liberal he didn't offend me all that much, I would vote
for him over Martin that's for sure.

That's about the last sensible thing(besides Iraq) that our Gov't has done.
Unfortunately in order to get some sensibility returned to Ottawa we need
to make our voices heard. Write out letters, emails and faxes to every politican
you can think of. Public Opinion dictates what they say and do(to a certain extent)

[edit on 14-11-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The last time I visited the liberals website I was greeted with a survey. You see they always like to know what people think of them. I filled out the survey, it took a few minutes.

After submitting it I was greeted with an server error. Good stuff.

Personally, I believe we are stuck in a rut with our politicians. Nobody seems to have a clear DIRECTION.

The sponsorship scandal did not look good for the liberals.

Everyone else acting like little kids during the sponsorship scandal didn't help either. Nothing was done in politics! Get over it and move on.

What is Jack Laytons direction? Nuff said.

These boobs need to grow balls !

new topics

top topics

join