posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 09:58 PM
OK, I give up... No clue who this guy is.
1. Russian special forces type beret. But it's not. Soviet Spetsnatz are red berets. And this one is blue. Really looks like a Soviet Naval Infantry
beret, only it should be darker blue. The badge and patch match Soviet Naval Infantry. This guy should have a helmet. Must not be much combat around
2. Odd vest, looks like a vest, for over body armor, but it's body armor? Similar cut and pattern to OMON - special militisa forces in Russian
Federation. Actually looks like it's on backwards. Never seen one in OD green, and it looks too small for his size.
3. Odd black rifle. Appears to be a folding-stock Romanian AK-74 variant never seen before. Flash surpressor is radically different, and the gas tube
is different, but it's the gas tube that IDs it as Romanian.
4. Scope appears to be a EOTech HOLOgraphic Weapon Sight.
5. Black holster double drop-rig set-up. Looks like it was bought from a catalog. Poser wanna-be SWAT type gear. Soviet stuff is still leather, this
is ballistic? He's right handed, but the pistol is on the left side. Goes well with the finger cut-out gloves he's wearing.
6. Knife doesn't look like military gear. Odd knife, sort of small, and has a strange looking grip.
7. Old CHIPPY US Army uniform. Not many of those around anymore. They gave them to the new Iraqi Army troops to wear. No idea why he's wearing
8. The Ranger/Airborne patch appears to be photoshopped onto the sleeve. Either that, or it's wanko and terribly crooked.
9. Wearing current issue US desert knee pad protectors. Wonder where he got those.
10. No ammo pouches, but has a tan pouch under the left arm. Probably for magazines, but not a good set-up, not normal.
The other guy is certainly a British trooper.
Best guess. Soviet/East Bloc trooper or citizen, hanging out with the Ukranian or Polish troops in Iraqi. Getting his picture taken with a British
trooper. Bought all his own gear. Don't know what else to think. It's not unusual to have odd troopers attached to a deployed unit. (They were never
there.) And I suppose it's not odd to have a collage of gear to wear. Certainly odd choices though. He's not a mercenary, he doesn't have the right
stuff. Nice rifle though.