It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one noticing the increasing numbers of cameras on top of stoplights?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sinta_ilfirin
....I personally think that hardly any of them are real. They are just placed there as a deterant to people so they won't go through a red light.

Well, then that would be a problem in itself. I certainly wouldn't want my tax dollars being wasted like that. How 'bout hiring more cops instead of throwing away money on cameras that aren't even real? Seems a bit farfetched.

Peace

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   

by Dr. Love:
How 'bout hiring more cops instead of throwing away money on cameras that aren't even real?

Not that I disagree Doc but here in PA you'll find police cruisers parked along the roadway with the lights flashing and a dummy dressed in uniform[no pun nor offense intended] other times it's not even occupied. They use this approach in high traffic accident-prone areas as nothing more than a deterrent. After the third or fourth day it seems they tend to lose their purpose ... however on the fifth [random] day it's a real cruiser with a real trooper. Gotcha! Not much different than fake cameras.

From what I've found through Google, etc. there seem to be many different setups per se for these stoplight cameras. While many are 100% operational 24/7 others can be either on timers for higher traffic periods or a combination of real and dummy cameras.

[edit on 11/17/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'd suggest a little Thomas Paine:

"Force and Fraud . . . are the two cardinal virtues"

Granted, hew was referring to international relations. But it applies to a war on lawlessness as well.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Fair enough both of you, but if the camera's only pointing in one direction at a four-way stop, what's to stop someone from breaking the law from the other 3 ways? Plus, in some states you don't need to have a license plate on the front of your car. There's too many other things, once you factor them in to the equation that tell me those cameras have another purpose.

Not only do I think those cameras are running all the time, I think they're remote controlled as well. You can look at that kind off surveillance from an optomist's perspective or from a pessimist's perspective. I have a pessemist's point of view on this, plus it makes for a better thread.

Peace

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Doc,

I was only responding to your comment about using those funds to hire more police/troopers if the cameras were only being used as a deterrent.

The stated and publicly accepted need/purpose is, "To Save Lives" [Where have you heard that reason/excuse before?] Monitoring these intersections and roadways has proven to be an effective and viable method by which to passively cite/fine/prosecute more traffic violators, while at the same time providing a visible deterrent and a means by which to save lives. Not verbatim by any means nor from anywhere, yet fairly typical of this type of public service announcements.

In my opinion, Yes these types of video monitoring do serve a positive means and purpose for their stated intent. My concern however is, as is your's, not their purpose but their capabilities. "[Nah honey ... the camera's not on ..." [j/k]

Make a conscious effort tomorrow from the time you leave the house, go to work, etc. to take note of situations where you are being monitored. Intersections, highways, tollbooths, banks, ATMs, etc. It's crazy! Even for an average everyday Joe Public it's like and episode of "And here is your life ..."

Now they've thrown the terrorist threat into the safety soup and video monitoring has escalated dramatically. Today we have City cams, Subway cams, Sidewalk cams, Streetlight Cams, Bridge cams, Highway cams, Tollway cams and on and on and on ...

Peace2All

[edit on 11/17/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
They just changed the law here in Albuquerque that used to require a police officer to observe a traffic violaton. Now they only have a couple of cameras and I have gone to great pains to avoid the areas where they are, not because I am a chronic red light runner, but because I know what it is like to get caught in an intersection because of a few idiots in from of me. The camera cannot interpret events.

The cameras have led to such an influx of income that the city now plans to use that extra money to put up more cameras around town. Of course, they claim that there are fewer accidents, but I doubt that. It's just a new tax gussied up as law enforcement.

Studies have shown that in areas where traffic cameras are in use, the duration of yellow lights is reduced. This study was commissioned by Congress.

www.highwayrobbery.net...

www.cbsnews.com...

www.notbored.org...

talkleft.com...

www.govtech.net...:2002

www.americanchronicle.com...

www.americanchronicle.com...

www.prleap.com...

www.bloghouston.net...

www.weeklystandard.com...

www.usatoday.com...

www.clickpress.com...

www.detnews.com...

Google Search

[edit on 2005/11/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Living here in the UK, we have to cope with this everyday. we have the most survailance cameras per head in the world. They say that if i walked a 20mins from home to work, i would be caught on camera over 40 times. which i think is a compleat disregard for personal privercy.

[edit on 19-12-2005 by picklewalsh]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
They take the pic of U in your car going through the red light and/or speeding if so. I have seen many of these pics, they actually capture your face too usually ... I don't doubt they're being used to watch for other reasons than the red-light offenders though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join