It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mass manipulation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
With the next generation consoles arriving this year and further advances in the ability to produce realistic looking photographs and movies. How long before we get a "wag the dog" scenario where our government starts to produce images and movies we cannot discern from reality. Or, who is to say it isn't already happening?

thoughts?

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Such a deception was successfully carried by Orson Welles' War of the Worlds broadcast 67 years ago...with just radio.
The potential is definitely there with modern technology. However, the masses are a lot more discerning when it comes to visual effects, having been raised on a diet of popcorn flicks chock full of CGI.

[edit on 2005-11-14 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
An interesting question, articulateka0s.

Originally posted by articulateka0s
...How long before we get a "wag the dog" scenario where our government starts to produce images and movies we cannot discern from reality. Or, who is to say it isn't already happening?

I think right now it's a lot cheaper to buy a media stance in your favor than to spend countless programming hours duplicating human motion. I mean, people use body language constantly. Little tiny changes in facial expression, a lift of the head, a tilt of an eyebrow... that's a lot of time spent at a computer.
BUT... With the use of CGI in games and movies, are we learning to accept as real things that are not? I think we are. And it scares me.
Thanks for bringing this up!

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

. How long before we get a "wag the dog" scenario where our government starts to produce images and movies we cannot discern from reality.

thoughts?

my fuzzy memory recalls a pop-culture movie Capricorn One
that movie concept proposed the Gov't would indeed use available technology to create, what ammounts to 'propaganda, so as to direct the collective mind of the citizenry...in this case a movie set and staged acts.

there were small scenes in the movie Running Man which, because the real results unfolding were not what the Fascist-EntertainmentMonopoly wanted the 'conditioned' populace to witness...
solution; produce digital images created by computerArt to present the scenes desired..
..again its 'propaganda', in the final analysis.

imho, whatever technology is available ...it can in some degree be used to create false reality.
At present the scope of deceit seems limited to 'spins', and either emphasizing some 'facts' and burying other 'facts'...
like the Gov't attempts during the Vietnam era, with the bungee-cord Peace-Talks and embellishing the body-counts of enemy dead while sanitizing the US maimed&dead...
- - -kinda like the situation in the Iraq of today- - -

check out the DARPA site, & see if there are any requests for what you propose, couched of course in innocuous language and diversionary project descriptions of the 'Bid' announcement.

the images of our Commander-In-Chief might be the first
'project'...
who knows, in a decade or so, maybe the real flesh & blood president will be replaced by a cyber-double or even a holographic image during trips abroad or the State Of The Union Address

[edit on 14-11-2005 by St Udio]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
It is a scary possibility, however, i can more often than not, tell when it is real or when it is CGI.

Here's an example, the last (first in order of course) 3 star wars films have used CGI when showing the creatures and soldiers which you can tell, such as Yoda being a CGI image. However i believe that the old puppet used in the original star wars looked much more realistic!

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
www.rense.com...

A bomb that detinates around the waiste and causes the ceiling to cave in at a wedding in Amman? (of course this is just deception, not photoshoped.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
It scares me to think that through a mass dissemination of computer generated footage the government could suspend our civil liberties in a hurry.

hopefully a board like this will pick up on it though

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
there would be different modes of propagnda to discern once you reach the high levels of government comparmentalization, and the NSA hard stream of concurent information. these informations would then systematically roll down the industrial ladder. creating economic gateways into a distorted real life nexus, between government funding and economic dealings. harvesting all money back to the intitial ipropriators of that information. you would be able to manipulate large swaths of industrial sectors, if the cards were played correctly.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Very good question.

And a needed heads-up. Thanks.

I suspect the potential is VERY high.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
While the potential is there, I would think that with the internet and sites like this it would be much harder for the govt to pull off now than say 50 years ago with a radio broadcast or print which was the sole source of info back then. Today if they released a questionable video people on sites like this would raise flags and start asking questions, bloggers would be commenting on it within 5 minutes and a major media outlet might even pick up the alernate explanation.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Deception has been around for a while, albiet maybe not by our government, but by those who are selling us products.

For example, check out this site:
homepage.mac.com...

(may take a few seconds to load on slower connections)

Look how pretty the model is...now, put your mouse over the picture and see how pretty the model REALLY is.

This is only one form of deception...and, again, it's been around for a while.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

thoughts?

Language itself has proven to be the most powerful tool utilized for the means of mass manipulation.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
3D images being mixed in real time with the real world is already being done:
gprime.net...

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Maybe not entirely on topic of thread , but take a real close look at the way you live your life , the way we live our lives , give it some good deep thought....clear your mind of the clutter , and then tell yourself if your world is not fabrication , how much of your existence is determined by the will of others .
Most every bit of this material world is produced by others , so what really is reality?.
I think too much...........

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
But the good news is... We can make movies with Humphrey Bogart again! Or recreate the lost episodes of Doctor Who!

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
More manipulation:
fugly.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
its scary but like in the running man it already is being used for manipulation most likely. The moon landing for example....footage from the iraqi war, maybe even aspects of 9/11 dare i not say....maybe there was no planes....maybe im tired?

new topics

top topics

join