It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BTS.talk: Dis, Dat, Deez and Doze......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   

PODcast: Dis, Dat, Deez and Doze......
While I might say dis I spell it this.......

length: 03:38
file: btstpod_891.mp3
size: 2129k
feed: btst

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I just want to add that I am not one to be complaining really as my spelling can be bloomin' awful at times as well

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I'ma dis, dat, deeze kinda person. I guess it can be annoying. But, if its clear what is meant it seems maybe you could let it slip. If the point is valid in the end what does it matter.

One phrase that i use alot on other boards that i don't use here is NAWIMEAN. It's short for do you know what I mean. Sometimes, I catch myself typing it and erase it before I post. There is a different quality in the writing here. So, maybe I'll stop the slang all together.

Prolly will become "probably"
kinda will become "kind of"
I'ma will be come "I'm a"

I'm not making any promises, though.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Nice PODcast, doggy. I don't know what it was about because just listening to you speak is such a pleasure...

Seriously, though...

I never noticed it in your posts, Saphronia. I guess it's a thing that I only notice if it's ubiquitous. Every once in a while, I don't notice that.

As regards others, if they're not in English, I don't read them.

I will struggle to read and understand someone's post who I know isn't a native English speaker, but is giving their best effort to get their point across. I will spend my time there.

But if someone obviously knows the language and doesn't make an effort to use it properly, or makes an effort to use it improperly, I skip right over it. If it's not important enough to them to use the correct letters and use a wrong one on purpose (replace th with d) I'm not going to take the time to figure out the code.

The human brain reads words, not letters, so these coded posts are actually more difficult to read, take more time and effort. and I already spend far too much time on here!

It's like changing the channel on a program I don't like. If they want to get their point across to me, they will write properly.

So, yeah, there are things that bother me in posts, but I figure we're from all over the world, there are going to be quirks and differences. I just pick and choose the ones I read and let it go.

More PODcasts, doggy! Long rambling ones, please!

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Nice PODcast, doggy. I don't know what it was about because just listening to you speak is such a pleasure...

Thanks for the compliment, made my evening!!

I will try and oblige with some more PODcasts at some stage!

The human brain reads words, not letters, so these coded posts are actually more difficult to read, take more time and effort. and I already spend far too much time on here!

Yes! That is what the problem is! It is a pity, as in the case I mentioned, the points were good, yet it was difficult to read, so a little bit of the impact was lost.

Any more takers?

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   

PODcast: Dis, Dat, Deez and Doze...... (reply 1)
I feel your pain, Brother

length: 05:54
file: btstpod_896.mp3
size: 2768k
feed:

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
howmuchisthedoggy, if I had any WATS votes left, you would be getting one.

I know I'm not perfect but this dis and deez stuff has been driving me up the wall. It doesn't bother anymore though, I'm actually putting that ignore button to use. Now I never see Dis, dat, Deez, or doze

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I use Microsoft Word as a spell checker and the on-line dictionary for meanings.

www.m-w.com...

I don't type either...

And what's wrong with 'feelings', TC? Facts are important, yes, but so are feelings.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I dink dat tryn ta make ppl larn spanish in da schol is da pits. y cant dey just lern English????????

florida suks!!!!!

one more way above HowMuch

[edit on 14-11-2005 by whaaa]

[edit on 14-11-2005 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
howmuchisthedoggy, if I had any WATS votes left, you would be getting one.

ATS has a standard that is unequal on the web.
I don't have the greatest command of the English language, and my spelling can be rough at best, but at least I try.

This bastardized version of the language that has been creeping into the posts has been a real bug of mine, and you expressed it very well. I find it difficult to understand some of the short-hand that people use, especially when people add a string of CAPS. I just don't know what the letters mean, (I just found out what ROTFLMAO means the other day) and find myself disregarding the thoughts of people that use a lot of this "Net Talk", "Chat Slang", or whatever you want to call it.
The person may have a very valid point on the topic but they destroy their credibility with obvious language errors that you know they included intentionally.

I realize that we are a very diverse community with members in many countries, all age groups, different education levels and many don't have English as their first language. I give a lot of allowances for this sort of thing, because that's part of what makes ATS great, our diversity. But I also want every member to make an honest effort to make a post that is as ledgable as possible.

That was a great Podcast, I hope your starting work on your next one......

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   

PODcast: Dis, Dat, Deez and Doze...... (reply 2)
A reply to the thread where I stop throwing rocks!!!!

length: 08:17
file: btstpod_905.mp3
size: 4855k
feed:

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Great points howmuchisthedoggy.

I've seen increasing use of dis, dat, etc. and it is quite annoying.

The worst part is that when it's brought to, some of, the poster's attentions they laugh it off and continue doing it, thinking it's "cool", not realizing how ignorant it comes across and makes them look and sound.

In chat I can understand some of it due to the "live" nature of the discussion, but in a post, which holds for posterity, there is little to no place for it.

I think the only "shorthand" I've actually appreciated in posts would be "imo" (in my opinion) and the other variation "imho" (in my humble opinion) as they greatly clarify the nature of the posts and can save many needless arguments.

T.C.:

Guilty as charged.

Spelling/punctuation was always my downfall, never intentionally of course, and I am a frequent "typo editor" as well.

I too am a "hunt and peck"er, still have to look at the keyboard instead of the screen while typing, but I have to admit that posting here has done much to improve my speed and skill with a keyboard!

Before I came here, computers were just a tool for reading/research and the occasional video game.

When it comes to writing, I've always preferred pens and pencils as well.

howmuchisthedoggy:
Again, fine rant good sir

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   

PODcast: Dis, Dat, Deez and Doze...... (reply 3)
Dis Dat and yada yada

length: 06:44
file: btstpod_907.mp3
size: 6320k
feed:

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Thanks for your reply Relentless!!!

Yes, when I speak I have a problem with the "th" in words. I tend to talk about treads and tings like dis but I have an excuse at least!!!!! I am working on my pronunciation, so bare with me!!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Doggy, you have a wonderful accent, and listening to your voice is a pleasure indeed.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Doggy, you have a wonderful accent, and listening to your voice is a pleasure indeed.

You would not believe how big my head has gotten the last week or so!!!!

I am so flattered by the compliments!! I thought nothing of how I speak, so it really makes my day when someone takes pleasure in listening to my voice.

Maybe I missed the boat on becoming an engineer?

I will have ATS to keep my feet on the ground at least and stop my head swelling so much!!!

new topics

top topics

join