It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to Irans Vulcan?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Here's a mystery for someone to track down, if they feel so inclined.

In 1973 the Avro Vulcan B.2 registered XJ781 belonging to the Near East Air Force Bomber Wing at Cyprus crash landed at Shiraz, Iran when the port undercarriage wouldn't lower. The crew survived unscathed and returned to Cyprus but the RAF basically told Iran to keep the Vulcan as it was decided it was uneconomical to repair.

What did Iran do with this gift of a Vulcan bomber? Certainly no Vulcan clones have appeared in Iran but back in 1973 wouldn't they have seen this as some sort of opportunity? Any thoughts?

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
prob in some secret hanger being cloned

or they were prob shot down and destroyed during the Iraq/Iran war

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
well so far on a quick search i've found this much info

Completed 20.2.61. Olympus 201 engines. 83 Squadron 23.2.61, 12 Squadron 29.10.62, 230 OCU 4.2.64, Waddington Wing 10.2.66, Cottesmore Wing 22.4.68, Akrotiri Wing 18.4.69. Damaged during landing, Shiraz, Iran 23.5.73. Struck off charge 27.5.73

I think the most interesting thing with this info is that just after 3/4 days the airforce desided just to leave the thing there.

I'll keeping looking and let yeah know if i find anything.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
They were still fairly friendly with the West in '73 so I doubt it had any nefarious intent, might be in a Iranian museum somewhere?

There wouldn't be any point in cloning it, it would just be a big fat easy target for the americans (or whover they were fighting), it would make more sense to take a 747 or 707 disguised as an airliner if they wanted to bomb someone, stealth by deception (the trojan horse method)

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I remember reading somewhere that the vulcan was quite difficult to see on radar so imagine what you could do with a redesign of the intake's to prevent radar waves from bouncing back off the blades and ram applied to certain key area's such as the leading edges of the wing......!

As for the fin...who needs it as you could just replace the flight control system and add a few more control surfaces and you have got......a B2!

Ok maybe not quite but seriously with a bit of modern stealth technology applied to it the mighty Vulcan would give some of the new stuff a run for its money!

Sv Out........!

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Hmmm, I have found a reference that says it was cut up and turned into beer cans, but that is only 'allegedly' so the search continues.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

Yeah, the Yanks like shooting at British aeroplanes.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CarlosG

with allies like that who needs enamies

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

eh, what can I say we can't turn down an easy target......

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by revkev6

eh, what can I say we can't turn down an easy target......

thats a bit of a cheap dig....

but in the era of the vulcan, like in the 60, 70's believe me, i'd rather be in a vulcan than a B52... an easy target? the b52's so big and unmanovurable..you could probably hit it blindfolded..so ermm ya might wanna check the facts there my friend.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Waynos, perhaps a u2u to NR would be in order. He seems to have an interest in the Iranian military. Maybe he can be Jhonnie on the spot.

If the planes were repaired, it would have had to have been in the 6 years between 1973-1979 before the Shah was deposed. I have never heard of any reports of a Vulcan flying during the Iran Iraq war or in any capacity since.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silentvulcan
I remember reading somewhere that the vulcan was quite difficult to see on radar

Actually it has the radar cross section of a barn door , you could hide 4 bucceneers in the radar return it was that big.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I think I'll do that Fred, thanks

NR

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I myself never have known there was ever a Vulcan in our territory but if it was during the shahs time and it was hard to repair than it was either kept in our aircraft industry meusems or being examined by our scientists. Either way the Shah that time didn't have much of a plan to make our own jetfighters or transport planes, instead he bought american jetfighters such as F-4.F-14 and of course the F-16 but later it was turned down, that time we didn't have a good reability to repair aircrafts instead we just kept buying more and the spare parts with it so we turned for U.S. for the training. If we have the Vulcan today than i'm sure its still being examined but the only bombers i know in IRIAF inventory are H-6,Tu-22 blinder and obviously Tu-16 which none of them are in service.

[edit on 15-11-2005 by NR]

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Hi, I don't know if you will get this as it has been a while scince you original post, but what the heck eh.
As far as I know to be true, a team was sent to Shiraz from Akritori to assess the state of the Vulcan.
When the decision was made to abandon the plane, an order was given to cut 6 feet off both wings so it could not be flown again and very difficult and expensive to repair. As to what the Iranians did with the Vulcan remains a mystery.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by goldfox1

Thank you for that extra info. I'm chuffed that even 7 years later a question might still provoke an answer

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hi all.

Wonder if it is still where it landed and if so, could any parts be available to keep XH558 flying?

Fantastic aircraft to watch fly, climb out from take-off is something else and it is so manoeuvrable, like a slow fighter.

I remember when three flew at low level over London one afternoon. Awesome sound and sight.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Hope they can keep if flying a bit longer.

www.youtube.com... a noisy fly past.
www.youtube.com... Can a Vulcan fly inverted?
www.youtube.com... Well almost!

Sorry about all the links, but it is just one of only a few great aircraft.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The Vulcan in question skidded into a ditch along the runway during the attempted emergency landing. In the process, the aircraft suffered severe structural damage and was not suitable for repair. Had she stayed on the runway, she could have been salvaged.

As a result, the aircraft was partially disassembled. Sensitive components were removed prior to being gifted to Iran. As such, the aircraft was in no condition to be easily repaired.

The aircraft's final fate is a mystery. She crash landed at Shiraz airfield and she definately isn't there anymore. So most likely, she was scrapped.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NR
I myself never have known there was ever a Vulcan in our territory but if it was during the shahs time and it was hard to repair than it was either kept in our aircraft industry meusems or being examined by our scientists. Either way the Shah that time didn't have much of a plan to make our own jetfighters or transport planes, instead he bought american jetfighters such as F-4.F-14 and of course the F-16 but later it was turned down, that time we didn't have a good reability to repair aircrafts instead we just kept buying more and the spare parts with it so we turned for U.S. for the training. If we have the Vulcan today than i'm sure its still being examined but the only bombers i know in IRIAF inventory are H-6,Tu-22 blinder and obviously Tu-16 which none of them are in service.

[edit on 15-11-2005 by NR]

I dont even see any of the listed Chinese/Russian bombers on the wiki page... en.wikipedia.org...
Is it true?

top topics

join