It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghost in My Computer???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 03:14 AM
link   
For the past several days, while connected to AOL, I have witnessed some very puzzling events...and I need your help!

Has this been happening to anyone else?

I have watched my mouse icon move accross the page while I am not even sitting at my desk. Then a window opens up, Usually its the RUN program. And then the "ghost" types in the name of the program its wants to open, which is usually either Paint, Word, or recently Command Prompt. The "ghost" does something really quick...usually only taking a few seconds.

I want to make it clear that this is my personal home computer, and is not connected by network to any other computer.

Just now... I caught the "ghost" doing it again. "it" opened up Command Prompt and did something, but because I was across the room I could not see exactly what it did. When I got to the computer it was done, so i typed ... "What are you trying to do?" and "What are you looking for?".

Suprisingly... the "ghost" suddenly opened up my Word program and Typed in the words... "operation completed successfully" and then closed the word program without saving it.

I have tried everything! I recently ran a Computer Check-up, Spyware Removal, and Anti-Virus... its says that my computer is in perfect operating condition.

What is going on here???

BTW, I know that its most likely not a real ghost trying to contact me...but what is it? A Hijacker? A Spy? I just don't know...

Please, I need your help!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   
your "ghost is probably some kid with a sub7 or some similar program exploiting a backdoor virus in your computer.
I would first try disabling "remote control" in your windows system and see if the problem goes away. It is turned on by default and lets other people work with your computer remotely.

cheers

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Like the poster above me I would say you have some sort of trojan virus in your comp. Which allows someone to enter in thru one of microsofts many program flaws. Do you keep any sort of banking/credit card records on your comp like microsoft money or quicken? Also disable print sharing as well.

[edit on 14-11-2005 by Whompa1]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I have been outta the computer field for a number of years, but it sounds to me like someone is hacking into your machine and hi-jacking it. You cannot say you are not connected to a network if you have AOL open; you are connected to the net, which is a far more dangerous place. I would recommend downloading ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm free firewall and watch what programs are asking for access in and out of your PC. This should block them, but if they have already installed a Trojan on your machine, I am not 100% certain that even the firewall can stop them without a re-install. Maybe some of the more up to date computer guys here have a better answer.

Until you get it fixed I would make sure to unplug my camera and microphone from the system as they can remotely open those and see/hear you.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Def sounds like Sub7. Check this site out for info:
securityresponse.symantec.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Thank you! You have all been very helpful
... and let me know that I am not crazy!

1. I looked, but could not find the "Remote Control" feature of AOL that you are talking about.

Do you know where I can go to find it...so i can turn it off???

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Where2Hide2006
Thank you! You have all been very helpful
... and let me know that I am not crazy!

1. I looked, but could not find the "Remote Control" feature of AOL that you are talking about.

Do you know where I can go to find it...so i can turn it off???

It has nothing to do with aol. Its in your windows system. Go to control panel > Add remove programs> Add remove windows components. Pretty much disable all the crap in there. Print sharing/ network stuff. Disable all off it. Then go into your internet connection and disable the TCP/IP packet sharing feature as well.
Check here for all the disabling you need to do.

www.stanford.edu...

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
fast way:

go to START/right click MY COMPUTER/REMOTE/disable it

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Yeah, it seems like a trojan to me also. If you got that Microsoft Anti-Spyware application, it would remove trojans (I think it does anyhow).

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   
If I had a 'Ghost' that made sure my PC is in perfect order, I'd buy him a drink
Nothing to worry about, whatever is happening to your PC is not bad at all, it's actually pretty good, who wants to check out their PC when a 'Ghost' can do it

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Definitely sounds like sub7, I had that happen to me once, they usually just have fun with it to spook U, as they have.

I know that these programs are usually hidden in executable files U may have opened recently ?
Do what the more knowledgable have said and get yourself a good anti-virus, the money spent on buying Nortons or something of the like is well worth it rather than taking shortcuts (and I don't mean to assume U don't have one already but I was running a downloaded anti-virus at the time I was attacked and know that some of these can get around ZoneAlarm and the like)

[edit on 28-11-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
If you havent gotten rid of it, its obviosuly something starting up with your windows if he's able to do it at will.

Id run MSCONFIG and REGEDIT remove anythign suspicous, then run hijackthis to remove anything running in your web browser.

if he continues to get in, maybe you have a fixed IP address from your ISP, and he has this somewhere..

maybe they can give you a static one?

OR maybe he's using a chat program to exploit you, IE MSN, ICQ, yahoo msngr and he's managed to get through there.. maybe try checking your contacts , your security settings, or reinstalling the programs.

top topics

join