It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Mutated H5N1 Breeds More Effectively in Mammals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Vietnamese scientists announced that H5N1 Bird Flu has mutated sufficiently to breed more easily within mammals. It is unclear, however, whether the same might hold true for infections within humans.

www.guardian.co.uk
Scientists in Vietnam believe the H5N1 bird flu strain has mutated, allowing it to breed more effectively in mammals, though not necessarily in humans, online newspaper VnExpress said yesterday.

Scientists at the Pasteur Institute found significant variations in 24 samples from humans and poultry. The findings corroborate the belief that H5N1 would not have to mix with a human flu strain to become a form causing a human pandemic.

The UN said that Indonesia must strengthen its response to bird flu after the death of a woman, 20, who had shown symptoms.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is like watching a slow train wreck. While I remain open to the possibility that much of the media's attention on H5N1 may be hyped, I can not dispute the fact that people are increasingly dying from this virus.

Will a pandemic necessarily occur? I don't know. But I can't help but feel it would be foolish to discount the possibility.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 13-11-2005 by loam]

[edit on 14-11-2005 by loam]

[edit on 14-11-2005 by loam]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I must point out that if it breeds faster in mammals, it would breed faster in humans too, after all, we are mammals...

Just my 2cents...

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The biology may be sufficiently different, but I agree. If it has changed how it behaves in mammals, it is one step closer to affecting humans in a similar manner. This clearly is not good news.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
A lot of the publicity that this H5N1 virus is recieving is mostly hype. But the virus is indeed a serious issue at the same time.

To compare the Avian flu outbreak to the 1918 flu is the first major hype in my opinion. In 1918, medical facilaties were scarce. And the medicine they practiced back then was touchy, if anything.

Today, we have a hospital (or several) in every city. Granted, they'll be overwhelmed, but the care people will recieve will be eons ahead of anything they could have done in 1918.

As for the virus spreading.. I have a good feeling the populance of the world will literally go out of their way to stop it from spreading once it reaches a certain point. If it's not stopped before it even gets to that point..

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Not good...not good at all. I hope they are wrong, cuz I'm not close to ready for it yet. *sigh*

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Yay my dads a doctor. I'll just ask him if he has any bird flu vaccines. If an outbreak occurs anywhere I am gonna get it. Even if its on the East Coast.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Conspiracist, there is no vaccine for h5n1 bird flu, and there won't be any vaccines for months after there's an outbreak. Its extremely doubtful that it'd go to families of medical personell first, though it'd probably be given to people attending to any outbreak. Assuming that they haven't come down with it already after months of treating people with an easily transmitable killer flu.

cjf

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Reuters is reporting the virus has mutated, according to researchers in Viet Nam, which allows the faster replication in Humans.

In the same article, H7N3 has also been found in Taiwan adding to the poultry epidemic.

Jump in Suspected Bird Flu Cases in People

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Here is the full quote from Reuters:

researchers in Vietnam say the H5N1 avian flu virus has mutated allowing it to replicate more easily inside humans and other mammals.

The evidence shows that the planet's ecosystem reached a point of Self-Organized Criticality in 1997 - which affects all life on the planet. The main factors are that infectious prions now: 1) infect/hitchhike on most known bacteria and viruses; and 2) have become airborne.

The bird flu "hype" is about denying the danger this situation represents to life on earth - and consists of minimizing public awareness to justify and promote the corporate solution: 1) assisted suicide for the chronically ill; and 2) repopulating the planet with GM products, including plants, animals, and humans.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Conspiracist, there is no vaccine for h5n1 bird flu, and there won't be any vaccines for months after there's an outbreak. Its extremely doubtful that it'd go to families of medical personell first, though it'd probably be given to people attending to any outbreak. Assuming that they haven't come down with it already after months of treating people with an easily transmitable killer flu.

Yes there is vaccines they were giving them out for free somewhere in (oakland? ir some city in california) california and after the first 1000 the rest you would have to pay. At least I am pretty sure there is a vaccine. There is not a lot but there is at least a little.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist06

Yes there is vaccines they were giving them out for free somewhere in (oakland? ir some city in california) california and after the first 1000 the rest you would have to pay. At least I am pretty sure there is a vaccine. There is not a lot but there is at least a little.

There is no vaccine for H2N1. You're most likely refering to this year's flu vaccine, which shouldn't be confused with the deadly H2N1.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist06
At least I am pretty sure there is a vaccine. There is not a lot but there is at least a little.

No, there is no vaccine for it. H5n1 is a new type of avian flu (a new strain, h5n1 sorts of flus have appeared before). In order to have a vaccine you need to have the actual infectious virus. The sustained human-human infectious virus doesn't actually exist yet, and thus no vaccine has been prepared. Even once it does outbreak in large numbers and become a pandemic, it will takes months before the virus can be isolated, cultured, sequenced, examined, and a vaccine can be thought out, prepared, tested, manufactured, and distributed.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Well I can only imagine that it seems that our planet is trying to get rid of us for quite some time but we have manage to survive so far.

The more we survive the more deadly the next outbrake of virus will be. We has been very good at monitoring nature and we think that we can fix anything that is going to be our downfall.

We have seen or food sources compromise But when viruses attack mammals is sure trying to attack us too.

I guess when it comes to life in this planet we have reached our usefulness purpose, time for some other species to take over.

[edit on 15-11-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I guess when it comes to life in this planet we have reached our usefulness purpose, time for some other species to take over.

Ouch marg. That's so harsh.

I'm hoping it's more like a good swift kick in the butt. We need to adapt, but that's already happening. A lot of new diseases confer immunities to other new diseases - I figure it will all come out in the wash. IF we clean up our act.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Ouch marg. That's so harsh.

Actually it does sound harsh but is have some true to it, we have the best cures in our forest but what pharmaceuticals has done or governments? the pharmaceuticals rather Create medicines than spend their precious money on research because is cheaper, and what governments do? the are killing the forest for profits.

I'm hoping it's more like a good swift kick in the butt. We need to adapt, but that's already happening. A lot of new diseases confer immunities to other new diseases - I figure it will all come out in the wash. IF we clean up our act.

I believe that you are on the spot on that one, if humans are allowed to survive the next catastrophic epidemic, we probably end up evolving because obviously our food supply is going to be comprises.

Remember most humans are carnivores but we forget that we are also made of meat.

Funny but true.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Actually it does sound harsh but is have some true to it,

I know hon. Lots of truth. I just hate to admit it.

we have the best cures in our forest but what pharmaceuticals has done or governments? the pharmaceuticals rather Create medicines than spend their precious money on research because is cheaper, and what governments do? the are killing the forest for profits.

And now they're patenting DNA. ...?!? Makes me want to break the T&C, and say what I really think about that. In Sailorese.

Remember most humans are carnivores but we forget that we are also made of meat.

Funny but true.

Ohmy. You are getting RIGHT to all the good points today aren't you. Very good stuff but it makes me cringe. Don't stop though. I think I was getting complacent again.

join