It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Spy Drone Coming to a City Near You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Honeywell has developed and successfully tested a spy drone equipped with cameras and other censors that is intended to be used by domestic law enforcement. The vehicle is capable of staying in flight for nearly an hour and can travel up to speeds of 55 kilometers an hour.

www.drudgereport.com
HONEYWELL is developing a micro flying spy drone -- that would be used for civilian law enforcement! The device, a hovering robot carrying video cameras and other sensors, is being created and tested at HONEYWELL's Albuquerque, NM plant.

The first round of testing on the drone [MICRO AIR VEHICLE] has been completed, reports Bob Martin of CBS affiliate KRQE. The battery powered craft can stay in the air for 50-60 minutes at a time, and moves around at up to 55 kilometers an hour. The Micro Air Vehicle has flown more than 200 successful flights, including flying in a representative urban environment.

"If there is an emergency, you could provide "eyes" on whatever the emergency is, for police or Homeland Security," explains Vaughn Fulton of HONEYWELL.

In the meantime, the U.S. Army has prepared a promotional video showing the craft zooming over war-zone streets. Drones have been given to the military to test during training exercises. "It has the same system most fighter jets would have," explains Fulton. The vehicle, nicknamed "Dragon Eye," will be used for reconnaissance, security and target acquisition operations in open, rolling, complex and urban terrain; it will be equipped with Global Positioning Satellite. HONEYWELL and government officials are meeting to discuss the status of the project.

Troops in Iraq could get the craft in a year or two. The spy drone would be deployed for domestic use shortly thereafter.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This technology was inevitable. With responsible law enforcement usage, this is a good thing. The only question I have is will we have responsible law enforcement usage?

Related News Links:
www.crankyconsumer.org
news.com.com
www.engadget.com

[edit on 13-11-2005 by loam]

[edit on 16-11-2005 by asala]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Like the saying goes, your team is as only as good as its worst player.

So, to answer your question, no.

I could show you a link to video of several military helicopters spying on two people having sex in a car. The thing of it was is that the helicopters were more than a mile away, and the incident occured at night, but they could see them as plain as day. That should help answer your question as well.

Additionally, this reminds me of a movie I once saw...or maybe a television show...where these things would fly around the city and scan people and vehicles and if they saw a crime being comitted or a wanted person, they would alert the police. Most of the time, people were trying to avoid them.

[edit on 13-11-2005 by elderban]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
When does SkyNet come online?

Well, time to pick up and move to the beaches Uruguay. I'll see you all again when our robot masters herd us like cattle, and breed us to be batteries.

join