It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iran's Transexual Revolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Iran has become the sex change capital of the world following a fatwa by the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini. While the operation has become easily available, as has legal recognition, social acceptance is another story. Transexuals are still persecuted and are forced to keep their history a secret.

news.independent.co.uk
More than 15 years after Khomeini's death, the cleric's unlikely religious judgement means that Iran now has one of the world's largest populations of transexuals, and the fatwa itself has become the stuff of legend. "A theology student told me that he delivered his verdict after he was contacted by a couple who no longer experienced any physical pleasure. He advised them to change sex and, once the woman had become a man and the man a woman, then to remarry," says Mahnaz Javaheri, 42, the mother of Athena, a 20-year-old who, as she puts it, "needed to be freed of her man's body". A devout Muslim, Mahnaz says that if the three imams she consulted hadn't given their permission, she would never have let her son Hadi become Athena, "even if it meant him committing suicide. These three great ayatollahs all said that he should have the operation as soon as possible."

The real story behind Khomeini's fatwa is scarcely less dramatic than the apocryphal version. He issued it in 1983, after a man named Fereydoon, who had made several unsuccessful attempts to gain an audience with the Iranian leader, eventually forced his way into Khomeini's private rooms. Fereydoon persuaded the cleric that he was a woman trapped in as man's body by revealing the breasts he had grown thanks to a course of hormone treatment.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm not really a believer in the idea of transexualism. I think there is such a thing as a Gender Identity Disorder, but the best treatment is not surgical mutilation. This story is made all the more interesting by the fact that in Islam gender roles are so rigid and dichotomous and the fact that homosexuality is a capital crime. Years ago, I think it was Sweden that was the sex change capital of the world. Never would I have ever thought that distinction would someday go to Iran.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.homanla.org
seattletimes.nwsource.com
www.dailystar.com.lb

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 11/13/05 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
All I can say is... Iran!!! Sick!!! Gross!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Oh this is sweet, hilarious even. The Mullahs are for once more to the left of the right wing christians.
I didn't think anyone could be more hate filled then them and then they come along and say, "Well, get a sex change my son. That should fix things."

For the record, I'm pro choice on EVERYTHING. If you have the backside to pay for it then by all means give the world a show.

To find that the Mullahs agree with me, if only on this one issue, gives me hope for Islam after all.

Good post, good post. I shall laugh myself to sleep tonight.

Wupy

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Iran also has one of the biggest plastic surgery markets in the world.
They do more nose jobs than in L.A. and also have a huge herion and drug problem like the western nations.

Iran: Nose Job Capital Of World
www.cbsnews.com...

One of the biggest problems facing the PR machine when the Iran war breaks out will be making the westerns believe that Iran is a backward, old fashioned country living in the stone ages. They'll need to do a lot of work to make sure the western world doesn't see us blowing up one the Middle Easterns most westernised countries.

People can feel good about Iraq because they can imagine them having nothing to begin with so anything is an upgrade - Iran isn't like that at all.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Michael Jackson should move over there.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Well Grady that would make your beliefs more oppressive than the Iranian mullahs, theres food for thought for you. Iran isnt the country that the Western media prefers to portray. They are modern and Westernized country with good infrastructure and education systems.

This story is designed to instill hatred for Iran into the Christian zealots in the West who think transexuals are abominations. Afterall, why is this a bloody news item? Who really cares that Iran has lots of sex change operations? Any one?

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Just Wondering, how did this get voted yes?

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Experts get instant upgrades on ATSNN submissions.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Wow, Iran definitely is a nation of contrasts, eh?

I still say bomb them.

[edit on 2005-11-14 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Oh so this is why they need Nuclear power!! to keep all the nip n tuck machines in operation!!

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I'm sorry, I wanted to write something politically correct and sensitive but I can't stop thinking about Abbott and Costello for some reason..

At least it explains why the women cover their faces and the men wear robes..

[edit on 11/14/2005 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Wow what a pathetic posting but I'm not surpised. What this has to do with any conspiracy angle is beyond me. I'd expect this from CNN but not ATS. It smacks of an attempt to denigrate an adversary, almost tabloid style. Whether it's true or not is not the question, I just fail to see its relevance on a site that advocates conspiracy.

brill

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
How can Islam allow let alone endorse such a thing and not allow gays and lesbians?

If a man is born a man and has his "business" snipped and gets implants, he is still a man, only less of a man, but not by any stroke of the imagination is he a woman.
Same for a woman getting things grafted on to her. She is still a woman.

Perhapps instead of changing themselves they should work to change the laws.
What good are islamic laws if they can be bypassed by altering oneself?
No gays but a man and a man who used to be a man is OK!
WTH???

Just put the old laws behind and come out of your closet.
Don't submit to false advertising!

I am throughly against all recreational cosmetic surgery.
Reconstructive surgery after an accident, no problem
Changing your physical appearance just so you think you'll look better, no way, you will never be satisfied and will waste alot of money to have your nose collapse like michael jackson.

No one is perfect, and no one should try to force themselves to be.
Mutilating your body is completely wrong.

You want to be perfect?
Go attain enlightenment!

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by brill
Wow what a pathetic posting but I'm not surpised. What this has to do with any conspiracy angle is beyond me. I'd expect this from CNN but not ATS. It smacks of an attempt to denigrate an adversary, almost tabloid style. Whether it's true or not is not the question, I just fail to see its relevance on a site that advocates conspiracy.

brill

You must have missed the part of this being the news network part of ATS
War in iraq, soon to be war in iran, iran transexuals, all that's in the news and as such will be found here

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I am not a fan of Iran...I am one of the proudest Americans around....but this whole story sounds like propoganda. This is totally tabloid journalism....what does this have to do with a war in Iraq, Iran, or a conspiracy? We need to prepare our troops in case war breaks in Iran and we have to send troops in, we don;t need them running their hands up the legs of the local brothel girls and finding a tree trunk!! Well, if it is for that purpose then I support it...but otherwise total STAR magazine quality reporting.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
These ops are cheap and low tech and also profitable. Not a surprise then that Iran is cashing in on poor confused guys who get pushed into a highly-profitable and growing cash-for-butchery industry that a lot of the rest of the world has already profited from.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Actually, I don't understand why this subject wouldn't meet the criteria of ATSNN, a conspiracy and alternative news portal. Certainly, the culture of Islam is of supreme importance to our understanding of one of the most serious threats to Western culture in many decades, if not centuries. And this understanding is especially germane when we consider that Iran has explicitly called for the destruction of Israel and is doing their level best to acquire the materials for nuclear weapons. And most certainly, gender reassignment surgery is an alternative subject, especially in the context of the rigid social structure of an Islamic theocracy.

It has never been established that ATSNN should be so narrowly focused that every post must be about some specific conspiracy and certainly, any good conspiracy must have some tangential influence. Nothing occurs in a vacuum.

For those who believe that this subject matter is better suited to a supermarket tabloid, how about taking a look at the media in which this subject matter was actually covered-- the BBC, The Independent, New York Times, to name but a few.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Yes, this opens up all kinds of deep philosophical and religious questions...

but all i got to say is IRAN... you go girl! two snaps and a shuffle...

but what are they going to do for drag shows? you can only have so many Chers and Streisands...

new topics

top topics

join