It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Unrest Winding Down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
According to a police chief, the rioting in France appears to be winding down a bit. Declaring a State of Emergency appears to be what might be making the unrest dwindle according to authorities.

news.yahoo.com
The nationwide storm of arson attacks, rioting and other violence, often by young people from impoverished minorities, has lost steam since the government declared a state of emergency Wednesday.

France's worst unrest since the 1968 student-worker protests is forcing the country to confront anger that has built for decades over racial discrimination, crowded housing and unemployment. The national jobless rate is nearly 10 percent, but it is around 40 percent for youths in housing projects.

An overnight firebomb attack on Lyon's Grand Mosque left traces of gasoline on the wall, but the device did not explode, officials said. It was unclear whether the attack was part of a backlash related to the riots. Two firebombs were tossed into a mosque in Carpentras last week, slightly damaging the building's porch.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think that it may seem more like civil unrest than anything that has to do with religious Crusades or Jihads. People just seem to be actually unhappy with how the present government is working.

Personally I don't think this will last. We will just have to wait and see how things turn out. If I remember right, the L.A. Riots in California had similar slowing down of the rioting on occaision.

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Rioters in France Planning Attack on Central Paris

[edit on 13-11-2005 by Shaker]

[edit on 13-11-2005 by Shaker]

[edit on 16-11-2005 by asala]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
So instead of 700 cars a night being torched, it was 500 last night.
Yeah ... like that's really 'winding down'.
NOT!
Nope. It's still going and going ... kinda like an evil energizer bunny.
And when the batteries wear out, the French government will just
install new ones and it will all happen again.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I dont think so either.

In fact i think it will get worse and spread.

Hope i am wrong.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I haven't seen this news article anywhere really, I just felt it was an important event in the riots over there. In all the searches nothing came up so I posted it.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shaker
I haven't seen this news article anywhere really, I just felt it was an important event in the riots over there. In all the searches nothing came up so I posted it.

There has been a running thread on the Paris Riots since the 3rd.

You can find it here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That is why you got repeats.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Ah I didn't know it was a running thread... From what I read on it it was just talking about when they just started.... oh well..

join