It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good News for Canadian Military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   

OTTAWA -- The Canadian Forces will call on a cabinet committee Monday to approve a $12.2-billion purchase of new airplanes and choppers, according to the documents obtained by Sun Media.

A senior military officer confirmed the details of the cabinet submission, which includes long-awaited replacements for their aging Hercules transport planes and the
search-and-rescue aircraft.

TO WOO MINISTERS

It also allows for the purchase of new troop transport helicopters and provides a retainer for guaranteed use of giant transport planes.

Link

About time too. A lot of old stuff to be replaced.
It will be interesting what replaces the Buffalo????
Australia needs to do something with the Caribou.

[edit on 12-11-2005 by Jezza]

[edit on 12-11-2005 by Jezza]

Mod Edit: Reduced Copy & Paste, Added Quote Box.

[edit on 13/11/2005 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 25-11-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
PUUH... I already tought that the Canadians were supposed to buy new fighters to replace tehir F/A-18 A...
But new transport planes and choppers sound like a good idea tough...

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
We are getting JSFs right?

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This is good news. Also, I think that there was some talk about a $6 billion plan to buy a combination of planes but it got killed a while ago, good to hear that they are going forward with this though. I think the plan is to replace the hornets with the JSF sometime around 2017. Here is hoping the Conservatives win the next election.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
well as of right now we are in the JSF program. that means that companies from Canada are allowed and have been participating in the manufacturing of compents for the JSF. Now as for Canada actually buying them its still up in the air. There has been some talk from the hill.... aka parlament that Can is interested in the plane. also there has been some talk as well that Canada may buy UCAV's as long as they are A2A capable. Personally i think a combination of the 2 would be nice but with more towards the JSF.

As for the Herc replacement i know the C-130J is looking nice for the Can budget but what are the C-17's going for right now?

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
How can you tell an election is coming up.

Hmm I wonder....

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Well got news from the DND now that they are serious about this herc replacement.

"OTTAWA – The Government of Canada today announced it will move forward with the competitive procurement of a new tactical airlift fleet for the Canadian Forces. The tactical airlift project will see the purchase of at least 16 new aircraft valued at between $4-5 billion, including a 20-year in-service support contract." link www.forces.gc.ca...

From the sounds of the articcal and a bit of research the CF have 32 Herc's flying right now and the link says that 13 will be replaced (probably the oldest frames) with 16 new ones. No mention of who will compete yet.

[edit on 23-11-2005 by Canada_EH]

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I would really love to see the C-17 as a possiblity. according to the cost per unit that i found on global security the CF could buy 16 C-17's for 5 billion, but someone correct me if im wrong.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I guess im going to keep you guys and gals posted on the updates. Here is the latest.
www.forces.gc.ca...

"Project Milestone Date
Letter of Interest and Qualification January 2006
Contract Award No later than Spring 2007
First Aircraft Delivery No later than Spring 2010
Final Aircraft Delivery No later than Spring 2012"

That is cazy fast. In 5 years they are slated to get there first plane and its about time. the article mentions that according to the stats Canada have logged more FLT time on our Hercs then any other airforce with one of our plane recently surpassing 50 000hrs of FLT time.

The article goes on to say this about the way in which Canada will go about looking for the new plane.

"A solicitation of interest and qualification is a new approach to procurement that invites potential suppliers to indicate their interest and demonstrate their ability to meet mandatory, high-level performance criteria. If more than one potential supplier meets the mandatory criteria, a formal request for proposal will be issued. This performance-based approach to contracting is fair, open and transparent"

I like the idea behind this approach and i hope there is a fair bit of competion for the new contract.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Does anyone think that the A400 would be ready by 2010 for Canada? I was looking into it and it looks like a good replacement aircraft. so far this is my list of potential
replacements for our CC-130E's.

-C-130J
-C-17
-A-400

Anyothers that you would apply to the price range and progected time line or should be considered for a lil more money. Also Im trying to do some calculations, what is the exchange rate for the euro to Canadian. any help or ideas are appreciated.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Wasn't the Canadian goverment going to replace the old Sea Kings heicopters with new Sikorsky S-92 helicopters?? or is the Canadian goverment blowing smoke....again?

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
The governement is stupid. We don't need an army, because we don't do wars. There is only the USA that makes wars...
with the Skulls And Bones president at their head.

Paul Martin is just the sheep of Bush, and I hope that we will have a candidate as fierce as Chavez or Castro that is against the american hegemonia!

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Read this article and editors notes

link

Government of Canada Announces New Tactical Airlift Project

(Source: Canadian Department of National Defence; issued Nov. 22, 2005)

OTTAWA --- The Government of Canada today announced it will move forward with the competitive procurement of a new tactical airlift fleet for the Canadian Forces. The tactical airlift project will see the purchase of at least 16 new aircraft valued at between $4-5 billion, including a 20-year in-service support contract.

“The Defence Policy Statement identifies airlift as a priority for the Canadian Forces and a new tactical airlift fleet, to replace the aging Hercules, is the first step in delivering on the promises of this policy,” said Bill Graham, Minister of National Defence. “I am confident in the procurement strategy. We intend to buy military equipment faster and more efficiently than in the past by basing the competition on performance requirements such as range, speed and the ability to operate in remote and hostile environments.”

"My department is committed to supporting National Defence in its program to replace its Hercules fleet. We will ensure the acquisition of replacement aircraft is carried out in a timely fashion while ensuring that the procurement process remains fair, open and transparent,” said the Honourable Scott Brison, Minister of Public Works and Government Services.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by thecry
Wasn't the Canadian goverment going to replace the old Sea Kings heicopters with new Sikorsky S-92 helicopters?? or is the Canadian goverment blowing smoke....again?

In deed we are planing on it and a helo has been picked but im not sure if are helos are under construction yet. www.airforce.forces.gc.ca...
There is a like ot a good amount of info too. We also just retired are last couple of labrador helo this summer i think too and we replaced them with the Cormorant.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jezza
Read this article and editors notes

link

I couldn't find the article linked.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
With the EH101 already in service it seems odd that the S-92 was selected.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
With the EH101 already in service it seems odd that the S-92 was selected.

The EH101 or as we call it the CH-149 is replacing our labrador fleet while the S-92 is going to be used to replace the SEakings whe have flying with our destoryers etc. Now im not a helo wise but is there much of a difference between the two in capablity? casue if not wouldn't of made sence to just buy more CH-149's.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I think in terms of size and capability they are near identical, the Merlin (proper name for the Cormorant )
has replaced the Sea King with the UK and Italian navies and in the recent US presidential transport competition the US101 (Yankee Merlin) beat the S-92. Thats why I would have thought too that commonality reasons would have seen more Cormorants bought, obviously there was more to hte deal, but I don't know what.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The EH101 is a more capable helicopter than the H92 but the liberal government cancelled the original contract for the EH101 ( I think it was for 50, 15 SAR and 35 ASW) so they couldn't go and order the one they cancelled without looking like a bunch of asses. Of course everybody sees through this and they look like a bunch of asses anyway... It would make way too much sense to have a common helicopter fleet but Canada is like many governments in that most decisions are political. Canada said no to Iraq so we have to make it up to the US somehow. 87% of Canada's trade is with the US, NAFTA has put all our eggs in one basket. So the next few purchases will be US origin goods. I prefer the A400 but I'm almost positive it'll be the C130J which is a tactical airlifter. Canada is the second largest country in the world and has participated in every UN mission. We are part of NATO and have several major overseas commitments running but we use the tactical herc as our airlifter and rent An124's. We're not good strategic thinkers.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I try again!!!!!!!!!!!

rest of article

“This new fleet will provide the men and women our forces with the right tools to do their job,” said General Rick Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff. “The new aircraft will provide an essential airlift lifeline service to Canadians in distress and deployed forces, both at home and abroad.”

The new tactical airlift aircraft will replace 13 older CC-130 Hercules, the workhorses of the Canadian Forces' transport fleet. Different variants of this rugged and versatile aircraft have served the Canadian Forces well since the early 1960s. The current CC-130 fleet continues to be the primary aircraft for tactical airlift, tactical air-to-air refuelling , and search and rescue.

The competitive procurement of these aircraft will begin immediately without compromising operational requirements, quality or cost. The procurement approach, a solicitation of interest and qualification, will be pursued to select the right aircraft for the Canadian Forces.

A solicitation of interest and qualification is a new approach to procurement that invites potential suppliers to indicate their interest and demonstrate their ability to meet mandatory criteria.

This performance-based approach to contracting is fair, transparent, and competitive. (ends)

(EDITOR’S NOTE: Canadian officials are being accused of slanting the program in favor of Lockheed’s C-130J by insisting that the winning aircraft be certified before the contract is signed, rather than before deliveries begin as is usual. This eliminates the Airbus A400M from the competition).

Click here for a transcript of a Nov. 22 media conference during which senior DND officials defended their decision, and detailed the planned acquisition process.)

-ends-

defense-aerospace.com Nov 23 article

Read the editors note

[edit on 26-11-2005 by Jezza]

top topics

join