It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

something lost--Agusta 101

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Yeterday, I saw a book showed a helicopter called Agusta 101.
There are three type of 101, in which a type "Z" was very close to todays EH-101 Merlin. Unfortunatly, the picture showed too blurry to identify it whether Merlin just developed from it, and the words with that picture have no explained what I cofused.
Maybe someone here who are Itlian would very proud tell me about EH-101 just a copy of Agusta-101Z.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I can help you there emile;

First off, the Agusta 101 and EH101 are completely unrelated, to be honest I am surprised you can even see a likeness between them. The similarity in the the designation is just a co-incidence as Westland and Agusta formed EHI (European Helicopter Industries) to build it and it was supposed to be called the EHI-01 but a typo in the initial press release led to it being called the EH 101 instead, a bit like the RS-71/SR-71 mix up.

As for the design, while the Agusta 101 was produced independantly by them way back in the 1960's, the EH101 is just the jointly built production version of the Westland WG.34 'Sea King Replacement' which originated in 1979 entirely separately from the earlier type. This scan below dates from just after Agusta had joined the project in 1979. As you can see it is virtually identical to the EH101 wwe know today.

[edit on 13-11-2005 by waynos]

NR

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Good points you got there Waynos, i would also like to add it was to be one of the biggest helicopter craft out there which was obviously made by Agusta and was almost ordered by the Italian navy but it never went into full production so it was cancelled. The helicopter had 3 engines fitted into it which were three Rolls-Royce Bristol-Gnome H-1400 turbine engines developing 1400shp. The large airframe, with a gross weight of 12800kg and a length of sixty-six feet, had a rear ramp and twin sliding troop doors. The helicopter underwent an extensive trials period testing the triple engine system and transmission. There were several modifications to the fuselage and nose wheel during its development and in military configuration if was capable of carrying thirty-five, fully equipped troops or a 5000kg load.

[edit on 13-11-2005 by NR]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Too sorry, I actually mean Agusta 101H, I have some pictures of A.101Z, which was not closer to Merlin of course. But the "H".......

new topics

top topics

join