It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Should I sue the Hyatt ?

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
For discrimination.

I am a certified security guard and crowd controller.
My cousin works at the Hyatt here in Melbourne, Australia and called to see if I could work last night. I was all for some extra change in my pocket so said yes.

I get a call an hour later from my cousin who tells me the manager of the club the Hyatt hosts at their hotel had a whinge that they didn't want a girl on :shk:

I am very good at my job, the managers I have worked for previously LOVE how I work the crowd, and the clubs/hotels/bars get less trouble when I am on my shift (what can I say ? they love that there isn't a muscle-bound 7" tall dude to sort em out
) Really, the most trouble I often get is men trying to hit on me


Now I can appreciate why they wouldn't want a female on, but please believe I CAN and always have held my own and dealt with what needed to be dealt with in an effective manner ... without violence.

But isn't this discrimination ?

lol just thought I'd put it out there, I'm only half-serious, I have another job lined up that is paying more anyway



[edit typo's]


[edit on 12-11-2005 by ImJaded]




posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I would say yes, especially if you can prove that was the reason you were denied. But it also depends on the laws in Australia



posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
darn! just lost my post *sigh*

I was just saying that I know it is illegal to discrimnate based on gender.

However it would probably be my word Vs theirs right ? as I don't have proof except my cousin's testimony which I don't think he'd be too happy to give as he works there.

Ok nevermind lol just wondered ....



posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Jaded,

it MAY be that rather than discriminating against u-u don't fit the bill.
What i mean is they may WANT "a muscle-bound 7" tall dude " to keep people inline.
That is, most people will behave themselves better if they see a large bouncer there.
They need not do anything be be present 4 it to work.
You may be very able to handle yourself and control crowds, but you may not have the "intimidation factor" they are looking 4.



posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Jaded,

it MAY be that rather than discriminating against u-u don't fit the bill.
What i mean is they may WANT "a muscle-bound 7" tall dude " to keep people inline.
That is, most people will behave themselves better if they see a large bouncer there.
They need not do anything be be present 4 it to work.
You may be very able to handle yourself and control crowds, but you may not have the "intimidation factor" they are looking 4.


excellent point, but my rebuttal is that I tower over most of the men they do have working there
they're all short there, but I agree do gt the job done. ALso I get told I am very intimidating (males and females have told me so almost all my life, not sure how or why tho, I'm SO nice!
)

But I feel that all the hostility between the muscle-shirts and the crowd never simmers down, it is week after week after week.

maybe I am just better off not associating myself with that place, I stopped going there as a patron for excellent reasons (the people who frequent it) so all is ok


thanks for responding



[edit on 12-11-2005 by ImJaded]



posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Oh, a female security guard!

Giggety Giggety Goo!


You shouldn't bother sueing, instead get a job some place else and then go kick Hyatt bouncer's arse, well not during your cousin's shift of course. That will teach them.



posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufia
Oh, a female security guard!

Giggety Giggety Goo!


You shouldn't bother sueing, instead get a job some place else and then go kick Hyatt bouncer's arse, well not during your cousin's shift of course. That will teach them.


excellent advice! if I was a fighter and not alover I would, please believe that haha


I mean would U mess with this bouncer ?



I look mean as hell!
and I have muscles too!


(don't mind the name on there, old chat nic lol I'm not REALLY Bossy lol)



[edit on 12-11-2005 by ImJaded]



posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I wouldn't want to get in a fight with you. I might get my rearend whooped.



posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Hey Girl......

go for it. Australian law does not allow for it. Contact department of industrial relations in Victoria and also contact your designated job search office for advice. Also the human rights commission heard my case for sex harrassment so I'd say they know what to do also. Get advice from all, there may be different ways to approach it, through the HR commission was great, Quentin Bryce (current QLD governor) heard my case with two other judges along with Virginia Bell a barrister who is now a judge.

Mine was a test case and got heaps of publicity but they do help you all the way. You do have a case. You will need affadavits from your friend and any other witnesses to start the ball rolling because no way will they admit it publicly.. it will cost them to much money.

I went into my case on a "stand" I was offered out of court settlements which I didn't take. Funny, I think the judges knew it and it helped them decide because my settlement was for only 500 dollars more than the last offer they sent to me to settle.. I didn't want the money, I wanted the admittance that it happened and it shouldn't have happened. and I got it.

If it raises your hackles and makes you mad, then go for it, not for the money but for the fact it shouldn't happen. If you have the affadavits they will not want to go to court.

Its hard, they will try discredit you and attack you and make you feel like a teeny tiny squishable ant...but stand your ground, I think that with you being a "bouncer" you already have the courage you will require.



[edit on 13-11-2005 by Mayet]



posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I honestly did post this half-seriously because I thought I didn't have a case.
Does it matter that there wasn't an actual interview process ?
Bouncers just hire other bouncers, U know ?

I might speak to my cousin about it though, they don't know we are related


thank you for your advice Mayet



posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I bet you face discrimination in your work all the time. It is sad really. A person should be judged on what they do, not what sex they are.



posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
I bet you face discrimination in your work all the time. It is sad really. A person should be judged on what they do, not what sex they are.


Well this is the first time really, in THIS line of work I do, I mean openly discriminated against, so yes it is a little unnerving.

I can understand if I am not "suitable" for a certain event if there is to be alot of trouble expected or something, but this is a club for Heaven's sake, and I used to frequent this club alot actually so little do Management know I could have been so good for them in regard to securing it but eh ... In a way I am thankful I don't have to work there now, I don't want to run into people I used to know (they are in my past for a reason)

So perhaps some good has come of this

I still plan to talk to my cousin about this, he has been in the industry alot longer and could probably advise best on what I should do.
I don't really wanna be known as the girl who sued, I may never get a job again.

thanks for your comments all



posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded

I honestly did post this half-seriously because I thought I didn't have a case.
Does it matter that there wasn't an actual interview process ?
Bouncers just hire other bouncers, U know ?


Doesn't matter, due process or whatever its called. Thats the hiring process, it doesn't have to be formal. I know of women suing Virgin Blue because there age was over 30 on app forms and they didnt make it to interview places but they are suing and its looking good, unless they have settled now.

Krissy never had an interview for her bar job, she walked in was hired on spot, no showing refs or certs or having none experience. Other girls I might note who are more experienced didn't get the job but then my krissy has ( • Y • ) so in a way your case is the opposite of hers, she was hired for her ( • Y • ) and you were not hired because of yours. But same principle. In hospitality industry thats the way its done.

So everytime someone likes you takes a stand and fights back, it gets better for all those following in the footsteps. Someone has to break the ground. If you do take the step it will help other women and also help cement your own self. The hospitality industry is a very visual fickle industry but men in this damned country have just got to learn that women aren't little mice to be shooed out the door or trapped or squished or poisoned, they are there to do their bit. And really one just has to look at the David Hookes affair to see why women make just as good "bouncers" as men.

In the end tohugh its how strongly you feel yourself, don't let anyone decide for you. Ignore it if you can sue if you want.





I might speak to my cousin about it though, they don't know we are related

thank you for your advice Mayet




Anytime this is personal to me, its my country, my sex and I hate seeing the macho australian man mentality think that men can do it better than women. Crowd control require more diplomacy and tact than brawn and muscles.. I mean whats the good of beign a seven foot tall karate expert when your not allowed to touch em anyhows....

Everyone knows, well I hope, that you don't go up to drunks in a threatening manner, you cajole them and appease their egos before quietly moving them on using diplomacy.

And when its time to get tough, there's nothing better than a sharp mouthed woman using smart language to cut em down to size


and *sigh.. if that doesn't work... Bitch slap em :bash:

[edit on 14-11-2005 by Mayet]



posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
Krissy never had an interview for her bar job, she walked in was hired on spot, no showing refs or certs or having none experience. Other girls I might note who are more experienced didn't get the job but then my krissy has ( • Y • ) so in a way your case is the opposite of hers, she was hired for her ( • Y • ) and you were not hired because of yours. But same principle. In hospitality industry thats the way its done.


Well they didn't even meet me, maybe if they had seen my ( • y • ) I woulda been hired
lol (they're great) but yes I see your point. Funnily enough, I experienced discrimination when applying for an airline, all the girls they chose were blonde and blue eyed (shock me, shock me, shock me
lol) ALthough at my current day job the 3 bosses I interviewed with didn't even see my resume (so they told me) and I am working there now .. guess it was my ( • y • ) 's
hehe


Everyone knows, well I hope, that you don't go up to drunks in a threatening manner, you cajole them and appease their egos before quietly moving them on using diplomacy.


Most definitely, even when they're drunk all they do is embarrass themselves by telling me things they wouldn't normally or didn't have nerve to til they were drunk ... and it's still all in fun

I have managed to calm down so many angry men ready to brawl it's amazing, I am quite proud of myself
They hear a woman's voice telling them to stop and they do. lovely



And when its time to get tough, there's nothing better than a sharp mouthed woman using smart language to cut em down to size
I can make a grown man feel like a little boy lol not that I like to but when U humble them they shut up with a quickness



and *sigh.. if that doesn't work... Bitch slap em :bash:


haha haven't had to yet but please believe I shall not hesitate if required


See, in my experiences the males are usually so quick to use violence, as if it is the only way (The David Hicks incident is a prime example of this). And it's this type of behaviour from the bouncers that make me as a patron not want to frequent certain places (alot of them).
I have proved them wrong mnay a time, hence I always have a job if I want one at alot of bars/clubs here in Melbourne, the managers (and the crowds) love me
... except for the women who feel the need to hate for no apparent reason at all, though I have dealt with that all my life and can deal with them too




[edit on 14-11-2005 by ImJaded]



posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
If they told you that you could not work that day or night or whatver. You should sue. Because they are denying you your specific day to work. The can't hire you and then tell you that can't work because your a girl, that doensn't even make sense. You should sue, but keep in mind that you will no longer be working there any more.

Also usually the tall guys are a lot weaker because their muscles are strecthed out and skinny. A seven foot guy is probably weaker than a 5'5 girl.

(edit)= Oh also if you quit you should say "what are you gonna do hire that guy", and point to like the most skinny and geeky guy there. That would be funny.

[edit on 11/14/2005 by Conspiracy Theorist06]



posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist06
If they told you that you could not work that day or night or whatver. You should sue. Because they are denying you your specific day to work. The can't hire you and then tell you that can't work because your a girl, that doensn't even make sense. You should sue, but keep in mind that you will no longer be working there any more.

Also usually the tall guys are a lot weaker because their muscles are strecthed out and skinny. A seven foot guy is probably weaker than a 5'5 girl.

(edit)= Oh also if you quit you should say "what are you gonna do hire that guy", and point to like the most skinny and geeky guy there. That would be funny.

[edit on 11/14/2005 by Conspiracy Theorist06]


Just to clarify for U CT (hope U don;t mind me callin U that
), I was hired through the security company who works FOR the club hosted by The Hyatt. Therefore they didn't actually meet me or "formally" hire me, but I was denied work on the basis that I am a girl even though I am just as qualified as the next guy.

I agree, big muscley guys usually can't even fight, I have beat down many a man in my day (not work related of course, we'll say it was an extra-curricular activity during my tomboy days (yes even as an adult I was a tomboy)
), and they have been no match for me cause I'm quicker lol


[edit on 14-11-2005 by ImJaded]



posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
I get a call an hour later from my cousin who tells me the manager of the club the Hyatt hosts at their hotel had a whinge that they didn't want a girl on :shk:




Was this for a special event like a private party or special event?

If it was, perhaps the group that reserved the club did not want any girls. present and you would have no leg to stand on since it was their party and they have the right to say who can and who cannot be present.



posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Was this for a special event like a private party or special event?

If it was, perhaps the group that reserved the club did not want any girls. present and you would have no leg to stand on since it was their party and they have the right to say who can and who cannot be present.



No it was their regular scheduled Saturday night club night.
If that was the case, I could understand but it wasn't.



posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
No it was their regular scheduled Saturday night club night.
If that was the case, I could understand but it wasn't.


WEll if that is the case and if it happens on a regular basis, I would say go for it. But I would make darn sure it happens over and over or you will not have a case.



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join