It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Britain Ran Secret World War 2 Torture Camps

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The Guardian newspaper has unearthed evidence and official papers revealing that Britian ran a secret torture camp to extract confessions from enemy prisoners during World War 2. Records show that 3573 men passed through the centre during it's operations between 1940 and 1948. The information on the torture camps called "The Cage" was garnered from red cross documents and official archives. 'The Cage" was situated in a row of mansions in Kensington Palace Gardens and prisoners were subjected to sleep deprivation, extreme temperatures and threatened with red hot pokers.

www.news.com.au
The London office of the Combined Services Detailed Interrogation Centre had space for 60 prisoners at a time and five interrogation rooms. Over 1,000 were persuaded to give statements about war crimes.

The camp was run by Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Scotland. Decorated for his interrogation of German soldiers in World War I, he was called out of retirement in 1939 at the age of 57.

A report by MI5, Britain's interior security service, concluded that Scotland had been guilty of "clear breaches" of the Geneva Convention and that some interrogation methods "completely contradicted" international law.

Scotland submitted his memoirs for censorship in 1950. An MI5 assessment found it detailed breaches of the Geneva Convention, noting that prisoners had been forced to kneel while they were beaten, stand to attention for 26 hours and threatened with "an unnecessary operation" and execution.

A heavily edited version was published in 1957.

The Ministry of Defence is still witholding some of the papers on the London Cage.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Interesting turn of events. The country that has always cried foul at torture and methods used by their enemies over time is now looking like it is responsible for the same treatment. Its not so much the matter of running these type of prisons, its more about the public indignation on behalf of the British at these very acts performed by other nations. it seems hypocritical to me

[edit on 12-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Well the trash got what was coming to them if it happened. So what? The world was different then. England was fighting for her right to exist.

[edit on 12-11-2005 by TexasConspiracyNut]

Also Edit: To remove the word 'bastards'. I wouldn't want to upset some PC person born out of wedlock!

BTW, if you have a problem with my post please try U2U instead and then I will remove anything some might consider disrespectful. I wasn't trying to troll. I dont consider saying someone hasn't got a clue to be a personal attack. Sounds like a personal hang up to me. I guess it depends where you are from though.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TexasConspiracyNut
Well the trash got what was coming to them if it happened. Nazi bastards! So what? The world was different then. England was fighting for her right to exist. You have no clue.

She actually has a clue and please refrain from personal insults. They add nothing to the discussion at hand nor are the permitted here at ATS. Thanks

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
[edit]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
It has nothing to do with being PC, its the Terms and Conditions of the site

Also this happend over 60 years ago, hardly something you can call into question for the comments surrounding torture today. This was classified documents and the British (in general) didnt even know about this. However, I wouldnt absolve the current British government though because Im sure they have them now under the phony War on Terrorism. Failing that, they are complicitous in the United States torture camps simply from their silence on the matter.

[edit on 12/11/05 by subz]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Do these camps compare in any way to the camps Germans ran at the same time?

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Britain Ran Secret World War 2 Torture Camps

And?
So?

Russia had torture and concentration camps in WWII.
Germany had torture, concentration, and death camps in WWII.
Japanese had torture and concentration camps in WWII.
Italy had torture and concentration camps in WWII.
America had torture and concentration camps in WWII.
Chinese had torture and concentration camps in WWII.

Virtually every nation involved in WWII had conentration and torture camps.

The problem here is that apparently some here seem to think that war is some humane thing and that rules somehow apply? Rude awakening people: Not.

seekerof

[edit on 12-11-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Do these camps compare in any way to the camps Germans ran at the same time?

Or Japan for that matter. Something about biological experimentation If my memory serves me

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
So what if other nations had torture camps, that doesnt make it right. Most nations were monarchies when the United States became independant, using your logic the United States should of become a monarchy as well right? The Germans were slaughtering jews, gypsies and gays too. So it would of been ok if Britain did that too coz the Germans were?

Its no excuse and its not an excuse Britain should even try and use to justify torture. Today or during WW2.

[edit on 12/11/05 by subz]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Once again the issue seekerof and others is not the fact they had the camps. We all "know" they did but the fact that these governments are crying about the treatment of other countries using those same tactics and pretending at the same time they are innocent and lily white.

The truth is the truth, admit it.... do not stand on a high horse and whitewash your own role in these things.

its like oh the japs had them and the nazi's but not the Brits..... rewriting history and rewriting truth.....

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
And as par, your taking something out of its proper historical context, Mayet.

Try a little research on what proper historical context means.
Then perhaps we can get away from people mis-applying historical known factoids from the past to matters of today.

And that, dear Mayet, is the truth, eh?!

seekerof

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Then perhaps we can get away from people mis-applying historical known factoids from the past to matters of today.

And as par, you are insulting people's intelligence Seekerof. Do you really have to do that? You want to show me your plethora of research data that justifies torture based on the fact that other nations do it too?

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Deal with it, subz, or better yet, file a complaint.
Intelligence is subjective, as with your implied and indicated reference to me making or giving an insult.

Have you researched objectively yet?
Have you researched what proper historical context means or implies?

seekerof

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

I was never speaking of today. i was actually speaking of the past in all "contexts".

I did do history at school, a British system where I was taught that the Nazi's were the bad ones. I was taught the British were gentleman and waged a gentlemans war. I was taught that the Brits did not lower themselves to that standard and always treated prisoners as per the Geneva convention. So It seems I was taught a pack of lies. A one sided synopsis of a two sided war. I have many many many books on world war 2 many videos and documentaries. Its a favourite subject of study of mine, especially the eastern front and the middle east.. well I did like the pacific conflict info too. But not once in any of those books did they mention anything like these camps. They mentioned the brutality that POW's of the Japanese suffered and they menioned the brutality of being caught by the SS and questioned but not once, ever ever did they ever ever mention that maybe Britain returned the favour and mistreated any prisoners. It was made out almost like a tea party for these prisoners.

[edit on 13-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
deleted, nevermind, I guess there were some before WWII

[edit on 11/12/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
no history lesson needed I studied that as well.

I repeat I was taught that throughout history Britain treated their prisoners as per the geneva convention (humanely) even before it was signed and implemented.

[edit on 13-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Enough everybody. Kindly debate the topic at hand and keep the personalities / attacks / condescending remarks OUT of it...............

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Every country had a torture camp. It was the in thing to have. Git mo money.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   

'The Cage" was situated in a row of mansions in Kensington Palace Gardens and prisoners were subjected to sleep deprivation, extreme temperatures and threatened with red hot pokers.

The first time I read that I thought it said "red hot pockets"

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
Once again the issue seekerof and others is not the fact they had the camps. We all "know" they did but the fact that these governments are crying about the treatment of other countries using those same tactics and pretending at the same time they are innocent and lily white.

Mayet that was in the past, decades ago. It was not right for anyone to do this, but they all did. What exactly does that have to do with today's world?

Originally posted by MayetThe truth is the truth, admit it.... do not stand on a high horse and whitewash your own role in these things.

The truth is that this happened decades ago, when there was a world war.

Originally posted by Mayet
its like oh the japs had them and the nazi's but not the Brits..... rewriting history and rewriting truth.....

I don't see anyone anywhere saying that the Brits didn't have these camps.

I do see you picking on only a few countries and trying to bring out as much trash as possible about them, and i have only seen you doing this to two countries. You do know that there are other countries that are doing a lot worse than what the Brittish and the American government are doing?.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join