It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HOw to detect nasties that antivirus isnt detecting...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I know I have flipping nasties on my pc, problem is, have run several scans and it detects nothing, I know its ie specific, because I just got Netscape Navigator and the places Im trying to get to WIth IE I can't but with Netscape I can, does this make sense, I know search assistant masked itself in part of my IE registry, ran a scan and I managed to get around it. How do I find these buggers, and get rid of em without risk to harming the whole bleeping system?

Another thing too, is I have spyware on my PC that I cant get rid of because the scanner is saying My PC is using these resources, but I cant kill the task unless I shut down explorer altogether, but problem is when I do that then I can't find the Spy killer, IM using AVG free, killer, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster(Which btw I can't figure out how to use THAT other than to protect, it doesnt really remove anything.)Hijack this, and Reg Supreme, any help would be great thanks.

My IE browser wont let me get to any antivirus sites, and I can't even click buttons in Yahoo, AVG says there are no viruses on my pc, and when I use housecall it freezes

[edit on 11/12/2005 by denial28]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
My best advice is to go to www.majorgeeks.com, sign up for their forum, and post your question there. They are highly knowledgable in this area, and someone may be able to do a walkthru with you on your problem.

Found on major geeks, I also use EasyCleaner and UltraWipe. Also look for a program that can shut down running background processes that are not detected by ctrl+Alt+Del. I use end it all, but forget where I found it. I have found that when I have something I want to delete but can't because it is using resources, I am able to shut down the running in the process with end it all.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Some viruses take over your antivirus prog. You might want to boot the infected hard drive in slave and do the virus scan from a different clean system in primary. This method prevent the virus from loading on bootup.

If it still detect nothing, try another antivirus prog like Norton or antispyware like Adaware.

If the problem persist, boot from your Windows CD to do a repair.

In last resort, backup your data and reinstall Windows from scratch. I know this solution sucks, but sometimes there's no magic way to get rid of viruses.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Ok,

Here is a list of 'FREE" 'LEGAL" downloads that should help you out.

AdAwear Se version 1.06
Spybot Search and distroy version 1.4
Ccleaner

And free till dec 31/05
Microsoft AntiSpy program

After you install these programs-yes all of them-run the updates on all of them.
1)run ccleaner
2) run spybot and clean what it finds. Rerun it untill it finds nothig more
3)run Microsoft antispywear and keep reruning and cleaning til it finds nothing.
4)run adawear and keep running it till you cleaned everything it finds.

Now that is done-go to microsoft updates and down all the revelent updates.

Reboot the computer and see the results.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
If your problem is only happening within IE, stop using it. Download the Firefox browser and don't import anything from IE during the setup. This gives you a clean browser to work with.

I use AVG Free as well and find it pretty good.
Spybot S&D is a good program and Ad-Aware is the other one I use.

In extreme cases you could always back-up your programs and files to someplace other than your C Drive and wipe the thing clean.
There's nothing like a fresh start.............

I keep my O/S and programs on a small partition of a 40 gig drive (C), and anything important like my files is kept on the other partition (D).
Both of those get backed up to a large seperate drive (E).

I don't know your set-up, but this works great for me. I've never lost any data, ever.
And I've caught a few nasty bugs over the years.....

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Giant Anti-spyware kicks all the others' butts, yes, even Spybot.

Also get Security Task Manager, which is an advanced form of the Windows Task Manager. It will analyze all the processes running on your computer and tell you what they are, what they do, what company they're associated with, whether or not they're spyware/adware. I can't recommend this prog enough. It's shareware, but there's a free trial period:
www.neuber.com...

Reboot in Safe Mode and make sure your Internet connection is disabled, then do all your scans. This will ensure that the minimum amount of resources are in use.

EDIT: And yeah, IE sucks hairy donkey's balls. Change to FF and you'll never look back.

[edit on 2005-11-13 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   

by wecomeinpeace:
Giant Anti-spyware kicks all the others' butts, yes, even Spybot.

Actually, I've found that Giant/MS Antispyware and Spybot compliment one another. What one misses or leaves behind, the other gets rid of it.

WCIP, when you refer to Giant I assume you mean MS Antispyware. It works well, however keep a watchful eye on the "recommendations" after a scan. I set them all to "remove" regardless of the so-called "recommendation".

It seemed ironic to me that following MS's purchase of one of the largest "perpetrators" [formerly Gator/GAIN/etc.] the recommended actions were changed from "remove" to "ignore" ... ?!

for what it's worth ... couple the above programs with Trend Micro's Internet Security 2006 and you have about the best protection for a home/small office pc.

$ for $
performance:resource uasge ratio
and wireless intrusion to boot!

Peace2All

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
For spyware download and run these regularly. No single one will do the trick, it takes an arsenal to get the job done:

www.safer-networking.org...

www.softpedia.com...

www.microsoft.com...

www.javacoolsoftware.com...

Look for the free version at the bottom of the page:

www.tenebril.com...

Click the download button:

www.lavasoftusa.com...

Another thing too, is I have spyware on my PC that I cant get rid of because the scanner is saying My PC is using these resources, but I cant kill the task unless I shut down explorer altogether...

If you are running XP, you will need to go into safe mode to delete some viruses, etc. The Symantec knowledge base gives some good tips on how to do this, but it's a pain.

symantec.atgnow.com...

Enter: "safe mode delete virus"

Choose: "Removing viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and macro viruses"

Of course, you won't be able to consult with Symantec, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

[edit on 2005/11/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Try booting your pc in "safe mode". I've had problems like yours and I was able to fix the problem while in safe mode.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

by GradyPhilpot:
No single one will do the trick, it takes an arsenal to get the job done:

Oooh so true

The trio I posted above has worked for me going on 5+ years starting with PCcillin98 [included in a MB software disc] until now with the recent release of 2006. I reviewed and included Spybot [1.3 - 1.4] and MS/Giant as they became available.

Safe surfing all ...

If/when something pops up don't click "yes", "no", or "cancel" ... click the "X" in the upper right corner to close or, if it's "off screen" and you can't do so, simply use the key combo Ctrl-W.

If you are using any Windows OS ... INSTALL THE UPDATES!!!

Regardless of what you are using ... anyone can goto Trend Micro's House Call to perform a full scan of their system. You have a choice of scanning for viruses alone or scanning for viruses + "adware/spyware/malware" [IMO crapware].

Peace2All

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
Actually, I've found that Giant/MS Antispyware and Spybot compliment one another. What one misses or leaves behind, the other gets rid of it.

This is true and good advice. I used to run them both plus Adaware and a couple of others every now and then when I used IE. What one net doesn't catch, the other will. Frustrating really that there's no one fix-all. I started using FF about the same time MS bought Giant and haven't used it much since then, so I'm not aware what stupid things MS have done to it in their signature style.

Let's hope FF doesn't become like IE.

If all the other recommendations fail, denial28, you can always take your hard drive out, soak it in warm soapy water for a few hours, then scrub it with a medium bristled brush and...NO don't do that! Jeez! Are you nuts?! I was JOKING!!

now i'm gonna get sued...I know it...

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
weeelll..... In case all of you are wondering why I haven't come in to say thank you for all the good responses, after I posted this thread, my pc apparently didnt like the fact that I was trying so dillegently to remove the nasties infecting it. It got so bad that it moved into Netscape. It even disabled all my options for help and support , and system restore, I couldnt even get to any sites to update any scans. So after a long and arduous fight, I wound up wiping my hard drive clean. I backed up all my essentials and just wiped it all bye bye. So cross your fingers, it seems like its ok.

Thanks again,
Denial

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
denial,

If you're running Windows anything, especially XP, please be sure to install ALL available updates (SP1, SP2, etc.) Without those you're pretty much a sitting duck regardless of antivirus, etc. software.

* as for the U2U just ignore ... accidently hit enter

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
In extreme cases you could always back-up your programs and files to someplace other than your C Drive and wipe the thing clean.
There's nothing like a fresh start....

Sometimes this is the easiest solution when you just can't cure the problem.

As 12m8keall2c stated, intall ALL available updates. This includes any programs like Spybot, Adaware and antivirus stuff.

"Wipe & Restore" is always a last solution, but after the work is done, everything runs so nice.
Consider keeping a "Program Files" setup on another drive, (or at least a back-up) so that your restore is a lot easier.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
anxietydisorder,

Can't emphasize enough the need to keep Windoze updates current.

Although Mr. Bill has improved somewhat, with regards to addressing security holes, flaws and exploits, however the products are a constant target.

I read an article about a year ago in which a security company connected several "honeypot" computers to broadband connections. The systems varied from a Linux box, a Windows2000, a Windows XP Home(w/ updates ... w/o updates) and an XP Pro(w/ updates ... w/o updates) .

They found that the machines averaged 400 hits/hr. in some attempt, port scan, etc. If I remember correctly the Linux box was never actually compromised. The Windows machines sustained the bulk of attacks with some having been fully compromised in as little as 4 minutes.

Their comment was that before you even had a chance to install SP2 your machine may have already been compromised.

... and that was last year?!
date
date
date

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I couldn't agree with you more. I update everytime there is a patch and I usually do it manually, since everyone knows when they will be released.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
anxietydisorder,

They found that the machines averaged 400 hits/hr. in some attempt, port scan, etc. If I remember correctly the Linux box was never actually compromised. The Windows machines sustained the bulk of attacks with some having been fully compromised in as little as 4 minutes.

Their comment was that before you even had a chance to install SP2 your machine may have already been compromised.

This whole topic just burns my ass..............

I repair the damage on all my friends computers.
What really bugs me, is how much "donkey droppings" are out there to sweep up.

I'm starting to get an insight into the minds of these jerks that pollute the web, and I just don't understand the motivation other than $$$$.
Why wreck innocent peoples computers just on a prank???
Or try to prove you can write some nasty code.

The global net is a jungle.......
You had better enter it with some knowledge and a few big guns.
:bnghd:

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Ok,

Here is a list of 'FREE" 'LEGAL" downloads

I just got back to this thread, and was wondering why you emphisized free and legal downloads as if the programs on majorgeek.com aren't? I'll admit that there are some shareware and demos, but there are plenty of freeware as well. I really haven't seen anything illegal on the site, and a very good help forum.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Ok,

Here is a list of 'FREE" 'LEGAL" downloads

I just got back to this thread, and was wondering why you emphisized free and legal downloads as if the programs on majorgeek.com aren't? I'll admit that there are some shareware and demos, but there are plenty of freeware as well. I really haven't seen anything illegal on the site, and a very good help forum.

The reason is p2p filesharing includes many pay programs(norton antivirus...) which have been hacked-using that is illegal.
I wanted to reasure all that all the programs were free, not hacked and updateable.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join