It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preparing 1st time ATSNN Article Submission

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Hi,

After carefully following the Standard Submission Form, the ATSNN Submission Requirements, and the Trickmaster Tutorial, I think I'm ready to go for it. I carefully spell checked, checked grammars, spacing, and punctuation.

I want to ask about the 2-hour edit window, if I may. In order for me to be available during the 2-hour edit window, uh, when does the clock start? Maybe I should be asking, when will the staff look it over, and then when will the 2 hr edit window begin?

I realize that if I get it right, the 2 hr. window may not be necessary; however, first time submission means time to get nervous.

Any advice will be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Adonsa

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The edit window begins as soon as the post is made.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
But, if you see somthing after, just post a gripe/complaint asking for something to be changed.

Good luck, I can remember my first article

u2u me if you have any questions or need help

[edit on 11/12/05 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
if something happens to the submission or you want advice, u2u an expert or mod that is online at the time and they will be only to glad to help you out.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Don't be nervous.

Tips:

Intro:

At least three sentences summarizing the article. No direct quotes. No personal opinions. No bias.

Source:

About four paragraphs from the article, but since journalists rarely follow formal writing styles, just enough to get the point across.

Analysis:

A paragraph or two telling the board what you think about the subject. A series of questions is not an analysis. If you don't have any independent thoughts on the subject, it would probably be better to call the article to the attention of someone who might.

PS:

Unless you are really familiar with BB codes, ediiting a submission can be tricky. I think it's better to ask for help, otherwise.

[edit on 2005/11/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Actually everybody in this thread has ATSNN expert status

And Grady's advice is spot on

[edit on 11/12/05 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Haha, liar!

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

Originally posted by FredT

Haha, liar!

You had best get cracking you are only what 98 stories shy?

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Thanks much for responses and advice. I have two more to submit that are not time sensitive. When the 2 hours ends, after it's posted, what happens to the submission, if there aren't the required number of Yes or No votes?

Thanks much,
Adonsa

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adonsa
Thanks much for responses and advice. I have two more to submit that are not time sensitive. When the 2 hours ends, after it's posted, what happens to the submission, if there aren't the required number of Yes or No votes?

Thanks much,
Adonsa

It stays a submission. If it gets the threshold of yes, votes, it becomes a full fledged ATSNN article, if the "No's" have it, then it gets moved to the Other Current events forum where one of us Mods moves it if its a better fit in another forum.

It can sometimes take a while to determine the stories fate.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I believe they remain "submissions" until voted Yes [up] or No [down]. Depending upon the "vote" your submission becomes either an article or fodder for the masses.

Fodder for the masses is not always a bad thing though, as your submission will be moved to the appropriate forum where it becomes a normal thread, or unfortunately to the round file, where it becomes ... well you know?!

If at first you don't succeed ... try try again!

From the sound of things you're definitely on the right track though!

Good Luck and Best Wishes!

Peace2All

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Whew, what a workout.
I just got notified of the need to edit down my first paragraph, and, amazingly, I was able to do it more than 90 minutes beyond the expiration of the 2 hour window. I also got warned that some words turned up bold, things I put in [brackets].

So far, 2 NOs and 1 Yes that I know of; maybe the editing down will help.

Is there any way to view a tally of the votes, or is UTU the way it works.

Maybe future submissions will go smoother; at least I'm learning the pitfalls.

Thanks again for your guidance and advice.
Adonsa

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
For a first its pretty good
No you do not get a running tab of the cureent points your thread has. You also do not get the yes votes u2u's to you. When you hit expret status, your stories get to go straight through.

I gave you a "Yes"

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Once again, I want to offer my thanks for guiding me through this first time post situation. Gotta sign off soon, so what happens will prevail.

Is ATSNN receptive to articles.....
-- where the subject matter hasn't been raised for years (appears stagnant).
-- But where the problem or condition persists
-- And, where posting an article about it amounts to a resurrection of an old issue (to bring it to light)?

Thanks again,
Adonsa

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I think of ATSNN as more for recent news (of course that includes recent developments to old stories).

But, as you know, it's a democratic system. If your story gets voted up, it'll get published, if not, it won't. Every member's criteria for voting probably differs from others.

There's no shame in getting a story voted down, it's happened to the best of us. So if you think you have something suitable, try to post it. The worst that can happen is that it'll be moved to a different section of the site.

[edit on 11/12/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Those ideas are best covered by an Op/ed submssion which you will find at the top of the standard submission form.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Just posted my first article...

It failed. Because of Grammar? Even though I spell checked it through Microsoft word and read it to myslef like 2 or 3 times. One guy accidentally voted no. Nobody voted yes. Good luck I will never be able to post a news thing!

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I think I have to just keep trying. Get past the evil members and go.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Which story?

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
There's no shame in getting a story voted down, it's happened to the best of us. So if you think you have something suitable, try to post it. The worst that can happen is that it'll be moved to a different section of the site.

[edit on 11/12/2005 by djohnsto77]

I've had two of four stories posted so far that have been voted down. I'm wondering about my latest one, so right now I'm at 33% for approved stories!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join