It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More sex slaves today than were seized from Africa in 400 years of the trans-Atlantic slave trade.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Human Trafficking Growth Prompts Calls for Enforcement

The United Nations reports that over the past decade, trafficking in human beings has reached epidemic proportions. U.S. political and civic leaders are now calling for a more aggressive response to this modern day form of slavery...

Audio Report

Human rights organizations say human trafficking has become a huge global problem. The number of victims is staggering, says Gary Haugen, president of International Justice Mission, a non-government organization that promotes human rights.

"National Geographic estimates that all forms of human trafficking combined victimizes about 27 million people in slavery,” he says. “That is more people in slavery in our world today than were extracted from Africa during 400 years of transatlantic slave trade."

Mr. Haugen says sex trafficking is the most brutal form of trafficking. UNICEF reports that, each year, about 1 million children are sold or otherwise recruited into this criminal business.

Sex trafficking is believed to be growing the fastest in Central and Eastern Europe, and the former Soviet Union. In Asia, girls from villages in Nepal and Bangladesh -- the majority of whom are under 18 -- are sold to brothels in India for $1,000. The European Policy Agency estimates that the industry is now worth several billion dollars a year.

This just makes me ill. How can this problem be this large and no one is really talking about it???

EDIT:

National Geographic Excerpt.

[edit on 12-11-2005 by loam]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
That is one of the faces of the problem of having to much money in some places and to little in others.

If we could stop poverty things like these would disappear, almost.

Also, one of the reasons this get little publicity is because if this is a trade, if somebody is selling, then somebody is buying, and the ones who buy have enough money to keep things hushed.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Normally, I would bristle at the notion of the government regulating citizen behavior outside of US soil. But if we can have the "Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," which does precisely that, I see no problem making it criminal in this case for any US citizen to participate as a "customer" of this despicable trade.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This is truly a shocking statistic.

Surely, something must be done about this worldwide.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Normally, I would bristle at the notion of the government regulating citizen behavior outside of US soil. But if we can have the "Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," which does precisely that, I see no problem making it criminal in this case for any US citizen to participate as a "customer" of this despicable trade.

They have something similar to that already called the 'Protect Act' but it may only apply to sex with minors in foreign countries.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

While I wouldn't condone it, but if I was the US Gov I wouldn't do anything about it either...its not in the US...and I dont want the government to have so much power that there reach involving there citizens lives can stop you from doing something in another country.

I like power to the people, not all to the government.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
...its not in the US...

Apparently not.

US Sex Slave Trade Estimates

...In the US, it's estimated that between 80,000 and 120,000 foreign women are being sexually exploited by gangs of sex-slave traffickers. Some of the crime gangs operating in states such as New York and New Jersey are Koreans and Mexicans...

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Slavers should be exicuted. People who turm people into products are scum.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Loam is correct. The trafficking in "sex slaves" has begun in the United States.

It has been worse in Great Britain, and it's been a steady practice in many parts of the world. It's described as the second largest international crime.

Some of the trafficking comes from "sweat shop" importing of labor. Some of it comes from the realization that illegal workers can be easily transported into the USA.

I've read news articles about US law enforcement capturing gangs and releasing the slaves, on both the East and West coasts. A small operation was even found here in my town.

Here are some of the very recent news articles:
www.mndaily.com...
www.mndaily.com...
www.chron.com...
www.mercurynews.com...
www.mtulode.com...
www.denverpost.com...

And the first law enforcment training video, on human/sex trafficking:
www.nctimes.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
And then I bump into this one...

Mom Arrested For Offering Toddler For Sex On Web

MARTINEZ -- A 22-year-old Martinez mother has been arrested after police say she allegedly offered her four-year-old child for $500 to sexual predators surfing the Internet in a Craigslist web personal ad...

More...

I have the strongest urge to violate ATS' T&C...

I better stop here.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I remember a story in the paper when I was living in New Orleans...

Some woman aparently was selling her own five, seven, and eleven year old kids in her whore house.

As for the slave industry... As I understand it, it is very common in the middle east and Asia.

I was unaware it was so common in eastern europe.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Unfortunately, its everywhere. Of course it will have its area's where there is more off it, but it is definately a worldwide problem.

For me, it's as simple as this, anyone knowingly engaging in any activity with a slave, sexual or otherwise should be met with every law that can be thrown at them.

And don't even get me started on the people MAKING them do it, the fact that there is a market for me just sickens me even more.

But i think the UN needs to make a serious law about this being illegal on both sides, worldwide.

I also think anyone caught should have every cent they earned from this trade paid to the poor people who suffered so the sick folk could make all the money, in the hopes that maybe, they could actually move on and make lives for themselves.

[edit on 12-11-2005 by ekul08]

[edit on 12-11-2005 by ekul08]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I'm still stunned that more of the US public is not aware of this problem on our own soil.

This has bugged me all day...

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
it is quite dispicable, i recently dowloaded and watched a bbc film called "the real slave trade" or something like that was trying to look it up on google wiht no luck. Was about how women from eastern europe were conned into going to turkey (just one of many destinations) looking for work then being sold by those they trusted would have thier passports siezed and be gangraped to break them down then forced into an existence that shouldnt have to be suffered by even the vile'est of criminals(well maybe only the most vile). But it was a rather depressing documentary and made me realize how lucky we in the US are and how Fkd up humans in this world really are.

But on the other hand if this isnt something that the UN should be doing to combat i dont know what is, should not be taken up by america alone since 99% of the whole buying selling abusing is done elsewere. Here is an oppurtunity for the UN to show that it is worth its while.

This problem has been going on for a very long time however and i remember a couple years ago msnbc.com made several reports and investigations into it but nohting ever came of it.
Some head kingpin in eastern europe was arrested and was being transported to jail when he made an easy escape so easy in fact that it was obvious the police had been paid off then nothing has been siad of him since.

In my opinion of nothing is done about this immediatley it will just show the calous indifference those in power truly do have for those who dont contribute to their political coffers.

Here are articles just to show the worldwide problem that it really is.
articale about problem in iran, tlaking about after the Bam earthquake orphaned girls being taken in the sex slave trade

thailand and that corner of the world

huge british problem as well

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
But it was a rather depressing documentary and made me realize how lucky we in the US are and how Fkd up humans in this world really are.

Part of the problem is thinking that this only happens in other countries.

This happens everywhere, it is just a matter of price. If it is cheaper to buy people in Eastern Europe because they now are in a bad economical condition (I know some people who were doctors and professors in their countries and now the only job they can get is as house cleaners or in the construction), then the responsibles will buy them there.
But if it is cheaper to buy them in some forgotten town in the US, then they will buy them there, is just like another market.

Remember, this is a trade that will only disappear when they stop having clients.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ekul08
But i think the UN needs to make a serious law about this being illegal on both sides, worldwide.

I read somewhere that the UN has been involved in trafficking these sex slaves. I'll try to find the article.

EDIT: Found it, www.infowars.com...

[edit on 13/11/2005 by SwearBear]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Thanks for this thread Loam. Saddly people have tried to bring this issue to light for decades but even here on ATS, survivers and their supporters are quickly attacked by a bunch of "good men" and accused of being deluded, mentally unstable, seeking attention or insulting what they claim to be "only good" institutions.

A trade as vile as this can only exist and thrive with alot of "good and respected" people (men and women) providing cover and silenceing those who speak out.

As in any "trade" you have the giant Walmart type institutions and your little mom and pop stores and the organized child sex trade is no different. While international sexslavery is an obvious huge problem so is that of respected western parents making their children "available" in return for favours and power.

I just hope this media story will finally cause people to make those "good, respected and successfull" people to pay instead the survivers whos lives have been destroyed and because of that arn't concidered to have the credibility to successfully challange in the courts, the powerfull people who continue to gain more power and "respect".

I know I hope in vain, in this current system of things, but at least it's damn refreshing to see this issue being discussed without the victims being accussed of being liers, for a rare change.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by suzy ryan
A trade as vile as this can only exist and thrive with alot of "good and respected" people (men and women) providing cover and silenceing those who speak out.

You are so right. Infact my I told my dad this figure, and he was absolutely stunned. He then reminded me of just a few months back, a pub/stripclub a in Melbourne recently had a woman from Thailand who was being held captive upstairs, climb out the window and down a tree and run to saftey.

The guy didn't even go to prison! He got off! He is a rotton thug who preyed on these women, and i can assure you this was not an isolated incident.

This is god damn Australia, I thought we had laws against this sort of thing!

And thanks for the article SwearBear, i wouldn't run anything pass the UN these days and its a very interesting read.

I think really, much more needs to be done about this. Slavery, there is freaking slavery and the year is 2005!

2005!

I seriously cannot get over it. I knew it existed, but more than 25million slaves worldwide. I cannot accept that figure. I beleive it, but I cannot accept it, and I don't beleive anyone should. We have to fight until this number is 0! That may mean it's a battle that will never be truly 'won', but while there are people that need fighting for, it is the responsibility of us, as humans to do it.

I'm going to do some research on anti-slavery groups and such.

But for those of you who said, or think that this isn't a problem in the US. that figure was up to 120,000 women in sex slavery in the US.

Now lets pretend that figure is just 100,000 (as i beleive it was 'somewhere between' 80k and 120k so we'll go with the median). Now how many people do you think get 'serviced' by those people every week?

If they are all sex slaves, they are probably seeing 2 people a day AT LEAST if not closer 8 (i mean, i've got no idea i'm just guessing) but if they see 2 people a day, thats 10 a week each.

So 100,000 x 10 = 1 million people ARE SUPPORTING THIS INDUSTRY IN THE US ALONE.

At least, whats the US population these days? we up to 300m yet? 350? 1 in 350? Thats a pretty sick figure too.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The US:
Lifetime Channel:
Sex Trafficking Goes Primetime

Bush, 2004:
BUSH ADMINISTRATION HOSTS FIRST NATIONAL TRAINING CONFERENCE TO COMBAT HUMAN TRAFFICKING
Human Trafficking

More could have been provided.

The average 'joe' in the US is aware of this, maybe not in the numbers some here would expect or desire, but they are aware. Cable and satellite services periodically air programs covering this and like issues. How many people watch them is open to debate or research. The problem may well be like it is with other like matters and issues, the scope of such is so large and overwhelming that many average 'joes' do not feel [ie: feelings of detachment or helplessness, etc] that they can help or do anything to prevent such from happening.

At any rate, this has been happening for ages, literally, and is a world matter, not relegated to any one single country.

seekerof

[edit on 13-11-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I for one was an average "Joe" who was not aware of the SCALE of this issue, and I consider myself fairly well educated and "on top" of most current issues.

What's your point Seekerof? Sounds like you're suggesting it's pointless to discuss it or do anything about it.

[edit on 13-11-2005 by loam]

<<   2 >>

join