It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: U.N. calls for end to Cuban embargo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The U.N. called voted for the 14th year in favor of the USA lifting their Cuban trade embargo. The attempt could possibly break the old hostilities between the two countries and encourage friendship, trading, and other things.

msnbc.msn.com
"UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. General Assembly overwhelmingly urged the United States Tuesday to end its 44-year-old trade embargo against Cuba, a call U.S. Ambassador John Bolton dismissed as "a complete exercise in irrelevancy."

"It was the 14th straight year that the 191-member world body approved a resolution calling for the U.S. economic and commercial embargo against Cuba to be repealed "as soon as possible."

"The Group of 77 calls on the United States "to heed the voice of the international community to bring an end to the embargo and to move towards a process of normalization of relations through peaceful negotiations with Cuba ...," he said. "

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Honestly I think we should lift it. It just seems stupid to me to hold a 40 year grudge with a country because you don't agree with what they do. That's just being childish to me. I think it oculd do a lot for both countries economies to join together and encourage trade.

Though of course that won't happen with our government. We have to have our way or nothing. It doesn't help either that Castro's still alive. It's a shame that they do this still, Cuba isn't even close to what they once were.

[edit on 11/11/05 by SFRemmy]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The United Nations wish for an end to the Cuban embargo will happen "as soon as possible" after Castro's death. Furthermore, Cuba can trade with anyone they wish, so if one thinks that the US embargo is crippling or starving the Cubans, they are mistaken. Start with Castro. He can end the embargo just as fast as Washington policy makers can.

seekerof

[edit on 11-11-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
This embargo is the most childish and pointless act in the history of global politics. The only group it managed to harm was the people of Cuba. Who here thinks Castro really cares? I for one do not. The rest of the world has no real use for U.S. products why would Cuba be any different? Cuba can't buy American products. Big deal. I can't buy American products either and I live here. If you want to have an impact on Cuba then you need to block products made in China and Taiwan

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Give it up people. It Ain't gonna happen. When Castro dies then everything will change, but until then the embargo stays. We just went through this entire thing about a month ago.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
The embargo is meaningless. It means Cubans can't buy American. Who cares. If Walmart decided today that it would no longer sell American made products you'd probably have a hard time telling the difference when you went into the store. And the American made things they did sell could be easily replaced. 20 or 30 years ago it might have meant something. But not anymore.

The decades this lame embargo has been on Cuba hasn't had a bit of impact on them. Castro hasn't been killed. He is still the leader and he will be until he dies. He hasn't suffered. The leaders never do. If there has been any harm as a result of this it would have been to the citizens of Cuba. But I doubt they have been harmed. The only thing to be harmed is the egos of the U.S. leaders because their stunt didn't work. I am sure the people of Cuba are upset because every street corner doesn't have a McDonalds on it or a Walgreens. I'm sure they are upset that they aren't limited to overpriced cars that break down after the warranty expires.

I would venture to guess Cuba looks today like it did 40 years ago. Who here would be upset if America looked like it did 40 years ago? I wouldn't be thats for sure.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
Give it up people. It Ain't gonna happen. When Castro dies then everything will change, but until then the embargo stays. We just went through this entire thing about a month ago.

Nothing will change, Cuba will still be a Communist nation.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
If there is any portion of the American economy that would benefit from lifting the embargo with Cuba, it would probably be companies which manufacture or restore vintage car parts. Cuba is filled with American cars from the 50's, but unfortunately they don't have access to the necessary American parts for repairs.

I also bet it would be a car collector's dream to go down there and buy some classic cars from the Cuban people. They take excellent care of their vehicles, considering their income and their lack of access to factory-made or endorsed parts. I for one would love to take a trip to Cuba someday. And I know there are a lot of Americans who would pump a ton of money into the Cuban economy by ordering cases of Cuban cigars, including myself! I unfortunately haven't had a Cuban cigar since my visit to Costa Rica a few years ago.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I think it would be nice to have a place to go to get out of Florida for a short trip. It would make getting the good Cigars over here without the BS or high price.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
Honestly I think we should lift it. It just seems stupid to me to hold a 40 year grudge with a country because you don't agree with what they do. That's just being childish to me. I think it oculd do a lot for both countries economies to join together and encourage trade.

I honestly believe it has nothing to do with "holding a grudge." castro's government would have become another crazy Kim but worse if there was no embargo.

BTW, is this a repeat from the thread we had a couple of days ago or so?

Originally posted by SFRemmy
Though of course that won't happen with our government. We have to have our way or nothing. It doesn't help either that Castro's still alive. It's a shame that they do this still, Cuba isn't even close to what they once were.

It is more like if the US would have lifted the embargo castro would have his own way and still Cubans would be suffering the same way they are suffering now.

But you are right, Cuba is not even close to what it was 40 years ago before the dictator was in power, and it is the fault of castro and not of the US that Cubans are suffering.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
The embargo is meaningless. It means Cubans can't buy American. Who cares. If Walmart decided today that it would no longer sell American made products you'd probably have a hard time telling the difference when you went into the store. And the American made things they did sell could be easily replaced. 20 or 30 years ago it might have meant something. But not anymore.

The embargo means that castro cannot become another crazy kim pointing nuclear weapons at the US and threatening to use them.

BTW Indy, there are big stores in Cuba, but those are reserved only for tourists, Cuban citizens cannot go and buy in those stores unless a family member from another country takes them there and they are paying with dollars. Not even if Cuban citizens had dollars could they go inside those stores.

Cubans have their own "bodegas" (stores) which more often than not are empty, because castro sells pretty much everything to other "revolutionary countries."

DG and I have talked about this in these forums several times, we were both born in Cuba, she was able to leave with her parents when she was 3 years old, I was able to leave with my parents when I was 8 years old.

The decades this lame embargo has been on Cuba hasn't had a bit of impact on them. Castro hasn't been killed

Oh trust me, it has had an impact. The embargo has put castro in a restraint for all these years. He hasn't been killed, but he has been stopped from causing even more damage than he is causing now.

.............If there has been any harm as a result of this it would have been to the citizens of Cuba. But I doubt they have been harmed.

Cuba has enough infraestructure and harvests to feed it's entire population. I have seen the harvests when I was younger as my parents and I visited my sisters in the labor camps in Cuba. Labor camps which everyone who attends school from 10 years old until they graduate have to go to on the summers, and work the land without getting paid and without being able to eat or take any of the food they harvest. Families can only visit their children on Sundays for a few hours, and at the end of the "labor camp" each summer kids and those who worked the harvest would come back with a head full of fleas, malnourished and whole miriad of other physical problems.

The only thing to be harmed is the egos of the U.S. leaders because their stunt didn't work. I am sure the people of Cuba are upset because every street corner doesn't have a McDonalds on it or a Walgreens. I'm sure they are upset that they aren't limited to overpriced cars that break down after the warranty expires.

No indy. If ever the embargo is lifted in Cuba and it is still a Communist country, despite what some people keep trying to claim that it is not a communist country....; we would not only get another crazy kim 90 miles from the US, but one that is more than willing to use any wmd against the US.

I would venture to guess Cuba looks today like it did 40 years ago. Who here would be upset if America looked like it did 40 years ago? I wouldn't be thats for sure.

Cuba looks 1000 times worse than it did 40 years ago....and it is because of castro. If you take a car and get out of the "tourist designated areas" you will think that you just entered a war zone, with holes 5 feet wide and 1-3 feet high in the streets, garbage in piles in every other corner, and you will probably not see any stray cats or dogs.

Cuba was the jewel of the Caribbean before castro was in power, every house had a tv, most people had a new car, and noone was going hungry, at least not like they are now, even the poor people.

[edit on 12-11-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

This embargo is the most childish and pointless act in the history of global politics. The only group it managed to harm was the people of Cuba.

You are wrong Indy, please do a little research and get some input from a couple of the millions of Cubans that have left the country to find out what is really happening there.

Who here thinks Castro really cares? I for one do not.

He does care Indy...why do you think castro is always claiming that the US is going to try to attack him and kill him? Why do you think he always blames the US for everything that happens in Cuba in his speeches? (You probably haven't heard one yet, but you would understand if you did)

He cares Indy, he is pissed that he can't bring more chaos to other nations because of the embargo.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
The embargo means that castro cannot become another crazy kim pointing nuclear weapons at the US and threatening to use them.

Castro could get them from another country if he elected to.

BTW Indy, there are big stores in Cuba, but those are reserved only for tourists, Cuban citizens cannot go and buy in those stores unless a family member from another country takes them there and they are paying with dollars. Not even if Cuban citizens had dollars could they go inside those stores.

I assume you have a source to back up this claim. Perhaps a non U.S. source.

Cubans have their own "bodegas" (stores) which more often than not are empty, because castro sells pretty much everything to other "revolutionary countries."

Again... any sources?

DG and I have talked about this in these forums several times, we were both born in Cuba, she was able to leave with her parents when she was 3 years old, I was able to leave with my parents when I was 8 years old.

No offense but there isn't much value in the memories of a 3 and 8 year old. I'd be more interested in that if you were 40 and just moved from Cuba a year ago.

Oh trust me, it has had an impact. The embargo has put castro in a restraint for all these years. He hasn't been killed, but he has been stopped from causing even more damage than he is causing now.

That is pure speculation. Castro is nothing more than a welfare child that has been cut off from his source of income. Rather than try and figure things out for himself he just sits back and coasts. Again why would he care? As is with most leaders he lives comfortable.

Embargos, blockades and sanctions have a history of not working. They have a history of only harming the average man.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by oily one
Nothing will change, Cuba will still be a Communist nation.

Speculation aside, there are many foreign policy analyst that have postulated that when Castro dies, there is an increasing probability that Cuba may fall into civil war. If such occurs, I find it difficult to conceive of a continued Communist regime in Cuba.

seekerof

top topics

join