It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Televangelist warns of evolution doomsday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Pat Robertson says a vote against intelligent design is a vote against God
(Reuters Updated: 6:16 p.m. ET Nov. 10, 2005)

WASHINGTON - Conservative Christian televangelist Pat Robertson told citizens of a Pennsylvania town that they had rejected God by voting their school board out of office for supporting “intelligent design” and warned them Thursday not to be surprised if disaster struck.

Robertson, a former Republican presidential candidate and founder of the influential conservative Christian Broadcasting Network and Christian Coalition, has a long record of similar apocalyptic warnings and provocative statements.

Last summer, he hit the headlines by calling for the assassination of leftist Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, one of President Bush’s most vocal international critics.

“I’d like to say to the good citizens of Dover: if there is a disaster in your area, don’t turn to God, you just rejected him from your city,” Robertson said on his daily television show broadcast from Virginia, “The 700 Club.”

More Story:/9o29t

Theologian says intelligent design is religion
Catholic professor testifies on behalf of school policy’s foes
(AP Updated: 11:13 p.m. ET Sept. 30, 2005)

HARRISBURG, Pa. - "Intelligent design" is vastly similar to creationism and should be taught as religion, not science, a Catholic theologian testified Friday, on the fifth day of a trial over whether the concept belongs in a public school science curriculum as an alternative to evolution.

Georgetown University theology professor John F. Haught said that while intelligent-design proponents do not explicitly identify God as the creator of life, the concept is "essentially a religious proposition."

"I understand it to be a reformulation of an old theological argument for the existence of God," he said.

More on the Dover evolution trial/cuq6v

MM: Intelligent-design supporters argue that life on Earth was the product of an unidentified intelligent force, and that natural selection cannot fully explain the development of complex life from simpler forms. Aliens? A loose cannon, that's what this guy Robertson is, who does he think he is going to impress with this latest retoric? Me thinks he thinks he is God's personal representative....is this the way a Christian acts? No wonder so many are seeking out other religions.
Cheers, Magickman

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
yeah i go to church, its a UCC church, and theyre really relaxed about beliefs and stuff. for example, they actually encourage you to find your own beliefs. they dont force you to "believe in what we believe or God will strike you down".

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Pat Robertson himself may very well be the embodiment of one of the best arguments against Intelligent Design.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I swear, people are using religion as an excuse for everything these days for their own selfish purposes. Pat Robertson is creating a situation similar to the Crusades. If you think about it, during the Crusades the church persuaded the people to join the crusades and reclaim back Jerusalem. If they didn't join they weren't a devoted christian and won't ever get their sins repented or it will be harder for them to get into heaven. Well basically its the same speech but for a different purpose, and I swear it's gonna end in nothing more conflict and unrest resentment.

I'm not saying the Religion is bad, or the christian are evil, I myself am a catholic/christian. But, I think I follow my own belief just learn the moral teaching of all religions. So I do my own thing, and hope that faith and good nature will serve me well in life. Well to be honest, I do believe in intelligent design, but not what they are desputing about. I'm just saying there has to be some higher being to create something. I mean I know the universe was created because of the big bang, and the big bang was created because of the collision of two membrane. But who created the membrane and I'm sure the higher forces fave a helping hand in jumpstarting life as well. I believe in evolution as well, so yea. Thats just what I believe, anyways science is only temporary because its always constantly changing as we are always descovering somehting new so just think everything as a theory, both the claim from the church and from science as a theory.

Oh yea didn't the vatican or the pope say we shouldn't take the bible too literally? Religion is suppose to teach people to become a better person spiritually and morally. Stories help people understand everything more easily thats why I believe the church had stories about the creation of men written metaphorically. I do believe some story in the bible are real but stuff in the Genesis are metaphorical to me.

[edit on 11-11-2005 by skyblueff0]

[edit on 11-11-2005 by skyblueff0]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Well i guess a dooms day woudl be col to se since so much has gone to hell but i really don't know much about that.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Pat Robertson himself may very well be the embodiment of one of the best arguments against Intelligent Design.
You get me every time!

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
You get me every time!

You had me at "
"

Originally posted by skyblueff0
I swear, people are using religion as an excuse for everything these days for their own selfish purposes.

You (and anyone else) should read Rulers of Evil by Tupper Saussy. It's very interesting.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Didn't Robertson once stand for the Republical presidential nomination? I have a vague memory of a school mate of mine coming in with a paper and laughing over it all. I think it was'88 and that Ol' Pat thought that George HW Bush was too left-leaning. Mind you, if he had been nominated, Dukkakis would have got in. I don't see Ol' Pat making a very friendly candidate. "Vote for me or God will SMITE YOU DOWN!"

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
There is already a thread on this, below.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

thread closed. But all members should feel free to continue the interesting converstation in the new thread.

new topics

top topics

join