It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey to Keep Headscarf Ban in Universities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
The European Court of Human Rights has turned down an Islamic woman who wanted the ban on headscarfs lifted from Universities in Turkey, saying it was discriminating against here religion and preventing her from education.

Leyla Sahin had brought the case in 1998 after being excluded from class at Istanbul University.

But the judges ruled that the ban was justified to maintain order and avoid giving preference to any religion.

Although overwhelmingly Muslim, Turkey is a secular republic and the Islamic headscarf is banned in all universities and official buildings.

The BBC's Sarah Rainsford in Istanbul says the verdict will have a major impact as more than 1,000 other women from Turkey have filed similar applications.

I think she should be able to wear whatever she likes. If she's not preaching, and not enforcing views, and not trying to make everyone else wear one, where is the problem? I hardly see how wearing a headscarf is going to affect anyone but her.

"Avoid giving preference to any religion", sounds like pussyfooting to me. Allowing someone to follow their own path isn't giving preference, it's called "not intefering". Well, thats my opinion.

Full Story - BBC News

[edit on 11-11-2005 by chebob]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
This is interesting, I never knew Turkey had such a law like France does.

This would be unconstitutional in the U.S. as it would be a law that restricts free exercise of religion.

join