It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Australian treasurer Peter Costello tells Muslims "Accept our ways or leave"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012

I would be very interested if you can post a link to the newstory that seems have been the seed that started this all. The one where the men attacked the cameraman. It will put a proper perspective on all of this as well as provide a clearer understanding of the circumstances.

You know what's funny ? I can't find a single one. hmmmm ... I thought today I would find something however have come up empty handed. I too was interested to read what actually happened, maybe the media didn't feel it was worth covering ? Was this convinently disregarded ?

Originally posted by snafu7700

i wish one of our lawmakers would have the intestinal fortitude to say something like this:

"everyone is welcome, but start preaching hate and youre going to be deported. furthermore, we will no longer change any rules for your benifit. take us as we are, or leave."

[edit on 11-11-2005 by snafu7700]

This would make more sense, if it had been put like that then I think it would have gone down a little easier with the public and his intended audience especially.

Originally posted by Odium
How very democratic of him...

I always thought it was;

If you do not like our way of life, vote another Government in. Oh wait...he means just Muslim's. We've not yet got to the point of "Our way or leave our Nation".

What about the Muslim's who were born their and don't like the laws?

Should I stay or should I go?

A very good point Odium, but I think you will find most Australian Muslims who HAVE indeed come here for the opportunities and way of life here and remain faithful to Islam (Good Muslims if you will) and those born here want these "hard liners" dealt with or gone also.

Originally posted by Odium
Isn't that what part of a democracy is, people saying "This is how I think it should be done" and when the majority disagree than we have a democratic process. When we begin to say "Hold our view point or leave" it in fact stops being a democracy.

Also a very good point

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The British jammed everything with their education of the "hard line," Wahhab.

It seems the Empire had to trash the Ottomans, what better way than the good old "divide and conquer," strategy. Educate this guy Wahhab, send him out, have their agents assassinate moderates, and all the sheep go "BAA." Now they are reaping the harvest of this, along with implementing the current provocative P2OG.

The whole thing is a load of crocodile tears, designed to make tons of money on the subsequent "blood in the streets." Most Moslems were quite liberal and tolerant until the British started this infection of Wahhabism. The fact is you tell them this straight to their face, point to the historical record, and they still persist in this belief under pain of hell. Oh is religion nuts, and too easily manipulated politically? Read your religion in private as much as possible, and gain the wisdom. Pray to Allah, or God, or whatever. Leave these charlatan politicians and mullahs in ash heap of history where they belong.

[edit on 11-11-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Yes Australia has a very strict immigration policy and we only let people in that have skills we want or are genuine refugees. That said, our immigration rate per 1000 is actually higher than the USA or Europe, so it's not like we are anti-immigrant or anything. Of course this doesn't account for illegals.

Australia: 3.91 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2005 est.)

www.cia.gov...

USA: 3.31 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2005 est.)

www.cia.gov...

[edit on 11-11-2005 by Trent]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   

How many Muslim's actually called for it [christmas] to be cancelled?

In either 1997 / 8 (can't remember) I lived in Birmingham, UK, and the Muslim Majority Council decided that it was a good idea to...

CALL CHRISTMAS 'WINTERVAL'

I remember the tree in the city centre being decorated with a big sign around the barrier saying "Happy Winterval". The idea was that "everyone could enjoy the holiday, and it wouldn't offend anyone." Well it offended all the Christians that I know!

Now no offence intended here, but that is just wrong. If someone comes to this country they should adapt to fit in. If you don't like it go home. Simple.

link

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Winterval would just not do. If I immigrated to the UK I would find that offensive because our christmas is in summer and I'm not about to start celebrating christmas in winter. The northern hemisphere should change for me

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trent
Yes Australia has a very strict immigration policy and we only let people in that have skills we want or are genuine refugees. That said, our immigration rate per 1000 is actually higher than the USA or Europe, so it's not like we are anti-immigrant or anything. Of course this doesn't account for illegals.

Australia: 3.91 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2005 est.)

www.cia.gov...

USA: 3.31 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2005 est.)

www.cia.gov...

those facts are all well and good, but could you show me an example of a third of an immigrant (.31)?

sorry, it was funny in my head

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Hes got it spot on, do you think the Saudi government would be listening to non muslims there calling for alcohol, strip bars and visableg strings to be allowed?

No, they would be laughed at, just as any muslim should when they try to force their "values" on us.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
Hes got it spot on, do you think the Saudi government would be listening to non muslims there calling for alcohol, strip bars and visableg strings to be allowed?

No, they would be laughed at, just as any muslim should when they try to force their "values" on us.

I understand your point Flyer, one of my questions though was "Who exactly is asking Australia to change her laws to suit them ?"

With regard to what happened in the raids, and more recently the factory workers at Woolworths refusing to work alongside the friends/family of the arrested, that supposedly sparked this statement from him, I do not see a connection with him alleging these hard liner Muslims are out-right asking for the laws to be changed here.
I mean, yes it is evident they are extreme in their practice of their religion, their actions clearly show this and their intent to bring harm to Australia and could possibly want everyone to live as they do (which I find utterly ridiculous also, just as you or the next person does
) but I don't recall seeing it reported that anybody did ask him to live by Sharia law.

So I just feel his comments were unecessary, more so as he is not the leader of the country.

[edit on 11-11-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Thank you for standng up and saying what needed to be said Peter Costello.

There are already a lot of muslim countries out there that muslims can move into. We shouldn't allow the Christian countries to be changed to suit them.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
Thank you for standng up and saying what needed to be said Peter Costello.

There are already a lot of muslim countries out there that muslims can move into. We shouldn't allow the Christian countries to be changed to suit them.

Didn't I use to argue with you a lot? Think I might have even put you on ignore once. But now we seem to be on the same side. I applaud whatever caused the change.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
If they dont want to assimilate ..... round em up ..... put em in chains and ship them to France!!!

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
It's about time someone put their foot down and said no, we're not going to change to suit you, you came HERE so be like us!

Laws are made to protect the majority of people.
If they offend the minority then too bad.
(this is not the case in reguard to big business such as the RIAA/MPAA and other 4 letter acronyms)

If a country were to accept every minority custom law and rite, there would be complete anarchy among its peoples.

Why should I lose my heritage just for you to keep yours?
Why should my kids not have a christmas play just because your kid isn't a christian?
Don't send them to school that day if you are afraid of them learning something about another culture.
Sounds pretty closed minded to me.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrjones
It's about time someone put their foot down and said no, we're not going to change to suit you, you came HERE so be like us!

I assume at least a few of those arrested were probably born in Aus.

Laws are made to protect the majority of people.
If they offend the minority then too bad.

I thought the population of Moslems in Australia was quite high.

If a country were to accept every minority custom law and rite, there would be complete anarchy among its peoples.

That depends on the laws.. if you are referring to Moslem laws in general.. [not extreamism] they don't conflict with the laws of the state so would not cause anarchy.

Why should I lose my heritage just for you to keep yours?
Why should my kids not have a christmas play just because your kid isn't a christian?
Don't send them to school that day if you are afraid of them learning something about another culture.
Sounds pretty closed minded to me.

I'm not sure what incident you are refferring to but IMO they should give the option to include all cultures and give the kids the option of participating [or not]. Schools can't afford to play favourites in a multicultural society as it would only cause resentment and division.

[edit on 12-11-2005 by riley]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Its a nice idea really, not that it will change anything.

If you move to australia or are born in australia, you should accept the australian way of life. you dont go to australia to take up a muslim lifestyle, and then complain that noone else follows the same ideals as your cult. Ultimately Peter Costello is just jumping on a controversial issue to try and get votes. even if such a thing happened, it wouldnt stop the spread of the muslim menace.

Australia has already been infected by the disease that is islam, its only a matter of time till it spreads further. I am not racist, I'm not a white supremist, it would be nice if we could all just get along and dance around under rainbows and throw fairy dust. But unfortunately you cant have them enter a country, get offended when their "religion" isnt the dominant belief system of that country. then behave like they do, and expect the locals to just give up and accept the cult of mohammad.

congrats to peter costello, peter debnam and john howard for speaking the truth, even if it is just to score points. If anyone wants to argue that the majority of muslims are peaceful kind people who want to cuddle puppies and help orphans, then maybe you should live in lakemba, sydney for a few years like i did. The muslim capital of australia. Then we can talk.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I respect all relgions... As my dad used to say "we're all just trying to get there (heavan)". No one should force their religious beliefs on anyone else, if anything, forcing someone would just cause them to reject your belief, unless of course, you threaten to kill or tortue to them to death, and then whats the point???have you really converted the person at that time??? or just forced them to follow your ways??? hmmm I wonder what Allah, God, or what ever the name of the God of ANY religion, think? Believe it or not, an all powerful, loving and forgiving God, does not NEED anyones help to do ANYTHING... So live YOUR life, love God, HELP others and then die and "go home" (heaven) PEACE

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I agree with the Ozzie.

At least someone on this bloody planet has the balls to stand up to the invasive shadow that is Islamo-fascism.

Sod the fanatics.

If they don't like our meat, beer, pets, night-life, fashion styles, equal rights then surely they should sod off back to the dark ages or Saudi Arabia (which ever is closer).

Maybe they'll feel happier in a world that hangs teenagers for drinking lager or wine.
They should go back to the extreme Islamic codes of murdering young girls with rocks, just because that young girl dared to get raped by three men or daring to insult our women just because they choose to dress how they want to, yet their men will swagger around with twenty wives (all hooded up to look like clones) and claim OUR society is the one in the wrong.

They shoot dogs because they are claimed to be dirty, yet they turn a blind eye at suicidal fanatics amongst their midst.

I have nothing against Muslims (at least nothing against peace loving muslims who are quite happy to integrate into our society), but those barbaric fiends who claim to follow Islam yet kill and maim and torture for Allah (which is wrong), they should have no place in Western society, they should be sent back to whichever country originally spawned them in the first place.

As for those muslims who are happy living amongst us.... fine.

But Christmas is still Christmas.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Githzerai
Its a nice idea really, not that it will change anything.

If anyone wants to argue that the majority of muslims are peaceful kind people who want to cuddle puppies and help orphans, then maybe you should live in lakemba, sydney for a few years like i did. The muslim capital of australia. Then we can talk.

No... Read my post above. Muslims think puppies are filthy.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
About time somebody stood up. Australian way or no way...

Now this thread has me wondering if Australia or Peter Costello has been added to the Al-Qaeda hit list.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The story is over three years old.. that government has since been voted out and Peter Costello is now a backbencher.

Anons may not always get approved but they know they can at least bump up obsolete stories to stir things up.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I agree with the sentiment of the Tresurers statement but not the way he went about it. In the UK a top barrister has been getting press coverage for saying that Sharia law should be applied in Muslim areas. I say to taht the same as the tresurer, if you want to live under Sharia law then go and live in a Islamic state, ohhh whats that you dont want to because they are brutal and in most cases third world level environments. Loook at the state of most Islamic countries and the Sharia law argument answers itself rant over

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join