It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have we been to the core of mother Earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
brodband here, just wanted to tag a small research project outside of the research forum. I just wanted to discuss and ask opinions of you great skeptics out there if anybody thinks that we have been to the core of our very own Mother Earth.

After looking at this picture, I have stated to myself that "hey, it could be possible".

So thinking of this, I thought to myself, "If we can go to the moon, develope anti-gravatic vehicles and such devices, what stops us from exploring to the core of our own Earth we live on"? We have developed such powerful weapons of mass destruction and have seen the Marianas Trench. Could this possibly be an opening to the core of the Earth?

There has already been a hole drilled to the bottom of the crust, and it only took 8 weeks to drill. Thats not that long of a time if it is thought about. Another question I might ask, "If the mantle is just a flowing of molten metals, then why hasnt the crust shifted so much in the last 5-10 years"? It is 6400KM from the crust, to the core. The crust is said to be estimated to be at least 3-5 miles thick, so taking 8 weeks to drill through it is actually pretty fast. Could there in fact maybe even be an emergency hide away at or near the center of the earth? These are questions that must be answered, and I cannot do it alone. What are your thoughts.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Right up my alley. Have you heard of "The Inner Earth" theoy? If so let me know and we can start a good discussion here. And yes, I belive we can and have been to the "Core".

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
8 weeks to drill to the bottom of the crust?????
I think I need a link for that statement to be believed. This would have to be a very thin part of the crust.

The deepest drilling ever done by mankind is the drilling that has taken place on the Kola Peninsula in Russia. This drilling started in 1970 and had reached a depth of 12,262 meters, in 1994. The drilling itself was done differently in the Kola Peninsula. The entire drill itself was not rotated; only the drill bit was turned by the flow of drilling mud.

hypertextbook.com...
That hole was only 12 kilometers deep and it took them 24 years.

The deepest mine in the world is only 3.5 kilometers deep, and is hotter than hell.

Vertical shaft mines hold the record for being the deepest mines in the world. Most are located in South Africa due to its abundance of diamond and gold deposits. As of 2003 the deepest mine is the East Rand mine at 3585 meters, but as technology improves and the search for natural resources continues many mines are constantly being deepened. In the next few years, the Western Deep mine will reach 5 km.

The deepest cave to be explored only goes down about 2 kilometers.

Arabika Massif, Western Caucasus:
October 2004 expedition news

The Ukrainian Speleological Association is happy to inform speleologists around the world about a historic accomplishment: the first 2000m+ cave on Earth became a reality. The 2000m milestone in deep cave explorations has been vanquished in Krubera Cave, Arabika Massif, Abkhazia, during the third expedition of "The Call of the Abyss" project in the year of 2004, conducted between October 1-28.

www.speleogenesis.info...

As far as I know, we don't have the technology at this stage to reach below 5 kilometers and stay alive. The tempurature at these depths gets way too high to be able to work, even with massive efforts to cool the mines.
Down at 5 kilometers the tempurature is about 70 degrees Celcius, and for every 60 meters you continue down the tempurature goes up another 1 degree. That gets pretty Hellish............
The Kola Peninsula drill site hopes to reach a depth of 15 kilometers, but the temperature at that depth will be 300 degrees Celcius. This will be about the limit of the drilling because the equipment will no longer function at this high level of heat.

EDIT>>> That figure I wrote above of "1 degree every 60 meters" was a mistake. Looking around on the web I found;

There is no way to measure the temperature at the Earth's core
directly. We know from mines and drill holes that, near
the surface of the Earth, the temperature increases by about
1 degree Fahrenheit for every 60 feet in depth. If this
temperature increase continued to the center of the Earth, the
Earth's core would be 100,000 degrees Celsius!

But nobody believes the Earth is that hot; the temperature increase
must slow down with depth and the core is probably
about 3000 to 5000 degrees Celsius.

www.newton.dep.anl.gov...

First comes the mantle, this is a layer that is bellow the crust of the earth. This is said to go down 2,900 kilometers; it's temperature is about 870 degrees Celsius. The outer core has a very high temperature and ranges from about 4,400 degrees Celsius to about 6,100 degrees Celsius. The outer core beginnings where the mantle stops and it extends further down to the center 2,250 kilometers. The inner core is about 6,400 kilometers below the earths surface. the temperature at the inner core of the earth is at the high is about 7,000 degrees Celsius.

hypertextbook.com...

[edit on 10/11/2005 by anxietydisorder]

[edit on 10/11/2005 by anxietydisorder]

join