It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Calling all Canucks, who are going to vote for.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic
Have you got rocks in your head, or do you not understand the NDP's priorities???

While there is more leniancy on PTS when it comes to heated debate, this does not extend to personal insults or attacks.

Keep it NICE and CIVIL.

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Those idiots got elected in Ontario a few years back via a "protest vote" and single-handedly stalled our Provinces' economy for at least 10 years. I can only imagine the disaster which would follow for the entire country should they squeak to power. Forget the prosperity initiatives both the LIEberals and Conservatives have developed and/or implemented.

You do realize that Ray was a recession Premier right? So he gets the blame for something the entire conteninent suffered through, and your are heaping praise on the Liberals and Conservatives for causing the IT revolution, whats up with that?
That is what drove our economy in the 90s and now what's driving it is Resources like Oilsands due to increased demand from India and China. Economic growth and stagnation in a 1st world economy is more sensitive to worldwide economic trends rather then short term regional political situations. There are exceptions to this rule but don't think Ontario is one of them primarily due to our proximity to the United States.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia

Have you got rocks in your head, or do you not understand the NDP's priorities???

While there is more leniancy on PTS when it comes to heated debate, this does not extend to personal insults or attacks.

Keep it NICE and CIVIL.

Thank you.

I apologise. There were more direct words running through my head. And it was not meant to be a personal attack.

That said, I can recall Red-Floyd and Smiling-Bob delivering their first "budget" (term used quite loosely) which threw about 8 billion or so down the tubes in one shot. Every other government knew that Keynesian Economics was a fools errand. They ended up the next year shaking their collective heads in a poor version of Alfred E. Newman's "What-Me-Worry" world, straight out of Mad Magazine.

Yes, he was a recession premier. With a lofty "Workers of the World Unite" attitude. At a time when collectivism was being turfed in countries around the world, we voted for it.

Only in Ontario.........go figure.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Yes, he was a recession premier. With a lofty "Workers of the World Unite" attitude. At a time when collectivism was being turfed in countries around the world, we voted for it.

I regret insisting on the opposite, Cynic...it was my experience that he did more to placate Bay Street than anything else. If there ever was a party that played into the hands of the conservatives (Mike Harris), it was the NDP. Maurice Strong was his #1 man and he effectively trashed 30% of Ontario Hydro...and that 30% was the best the company had in its employ.

It's no small wonder to me that Rae got a job on Bay Street after the Conservatives took over. It seemed a nice reward.

But, we're talking a federal election, and we shouldn't be comparing apples to oranges. The fact is I don't trust the 'big three' parties at this time, feeling they are in collusion through the effects of lobbies with deep pockets. I'm thinking they need their 'come-uppance' in the form of a massive voter turnout and some surprising electoral numbers. I'd like to shake them out of their complacency.

Damn Canadian voter apathy!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I'm thinking they need their 'come-uppance' in the form of a massive voter turnout and some surprising electoral numbers. I'd like to shake them out of their complacency.

Damn Canadian voter apathy!!!

OK, I agree with the above statement. Too many (non)voters in the past few elections. And split votes really screwed the works up to be sure. I stand by my earlier comments however. That's what's so great about democracy! At least we can express ourselves. What frosts me off is those that never vote and then think they have the right to gripe later. No way Jose. If you can't be bothered to get out and even refuse a ballot, you don't deserve the time of day afterwards. I would sooner see refused ballots than spoiled ones any day. Your thoughts???

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'm curious Cynic. You seem to feel that split votes are what keeps the Conservatives from forming the government. Would you prefer that Canada only had 2 parties, like the US?

And quite frankly, I'll do whatever I want with my ballot. If I feel like writing 'All of these men are moronic leeches and they should kiss my butt' across my ballot and spoil it, I will. It gives me more satisfaction than arguing with some Elections Canada worker about refusing my ballot. It's faster, too.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
I'm curious Cynic. You seem to feel that split votes are what keeps the Conservatives from forming the government. Would you prefer that Canada only had 2 parties, like the US?

And quite frankly, I'll do whatever I want with my ballot. If I feel like writing 'All of these men are moronic leeches and they should kiss my butt' across my ballot and spoil it, I will. It gives me more satisfaction than arguing with some Elections Canada worker about refusing my ballot. It's faster, too.

Splitting the vote by wasting or spoiling the ballot is simply juvenile and does not warrant serious discussion. While it is true that every voter enjoys the right to make a choice according to his/her beliefs, it galls me to think that wasting or spoiling a vote could be considered a "choice".

As to the number of parties we have, their leaders all are a bunch of Bay Street Lawyers, and I think Shakespeare had it right....

Are we having fun yet???????????????

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Splitting the vote is not juvenile. It reflects the choice of Canadians who have taken the time to participate in our electoral system. Split votes would not a big problem if we didn't use the first past the post system.

History has shown that smaller parties can break through in our system. Reform Party to takeover of Conservatives to Official Opposition took less than 20 years. The Bloc is fairly new as well, and that hasn't stopped them from electing many MP's. What prevents smaller parties from breaking through is people saying that voting for them is a waste.

Should people who don't wish to vote for the Libs or Cons just stay home? Or should they just be voting for a party who doesn't represent them at all?

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
As we've sort of established, the conservatives have been shanghaid by the neocon zealots,backed by the religious right and the nodding heads at the Frazer Institute, the NDP are somewhere wa-a-ay out in left field looking lonely and forlorn, wishing for a eureka moment to happen, and the BQ are waiting in the shadows like some sinister pursesnatcher intent on old ladies and older money, ready to seize the day and run (Oh, pulle-e-eze, Duceppe, put that plastic hairnet on for just one more photo op).

That was one entire sentence...wow!

What's left? Spit votes, soiled ballots and voter ala pithy, mostly.

If anyone hasn't gotten the liberal drift yet, there's this sad indication, faintly reminiscent of sponsorship moolah for the PQ mullahs. Oh, man...my head is spinning!

Jim Harris, buddy...get your ship in shape, you old patch of greenery...you might just be the best there is to ru(i)n the country before the annexation!!!

*will commit supuku right after voting*

(sigh)

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Splitting the vote is not juvenile. It reflects the choice of Canadians who have taken the time to participate in our electoral system. Split votes would not a big problem if we didn't use the first past the post system.

History has shown that smaller parties can break through in our system. Reform Party to takeover of Conservatives to Official Opposition took less than 20 years. The Bloc is fairly new as well, and that hasn't stopped them from electing many MP's. What prevents smaller parties from breaking through is people saying that voting for them is a waste.

Should people who don't wish to vote for the Libs or Cons just stay home? Or should they just be voting for a party who doesn't represent them at all?

This would be comical if it wasn't such a serious matter.

Frankly, I could care less if you want to throw away your vote in a cavalier manner. It's your choice. Just vote. Don't waste it. Otherwise you forfeit the right to gripe and complain later on. I regret that we have such divergent views on this subject. You sound like a reasonable person. Unfortunatley you just happen to be wrong this time.

Whether we have 2 parties or 22, also does not matter. I agree with you that there is a need to reform our electoral system, but until that day arrives we have to make the best of it. Why not try voting for the "individual" rather than party lines, it's how I have voted for over 30 years.

Cheer up, we will have another minority government shortly, and no doubt an opportunity to continue this debate.

Happy New Year.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I've made my final decision.

I started out in this thread despising the NDP but I have decided to vote for my NDP candidate. She came by on a door-to-door yesterday and she won me over. She has previous experience as a MP and has introduced some good private members bills (including the one that commemorates the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women after Polytechniqe in 98).

I guess in the end I took your advice Cynic.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Voting NDP here. Don't want this Deborah Coyne chick to win my riding as I see her as basically as a Jack Layton buster. They figure that a female will go down better in my hood then a male liberal, last time they lost by a few thousand votes, too close for comfort. Noone came to my door but I guess Jacky boy is too busy flying coast to coast to actually knock on peoples doors in his own riding

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Voting NDP again here.

Judy Washy-Washy (j/k Judy) is running again and lives close by.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I voted in the advance polls last week as I wasn't expecting to be able to today.

I voted Green, anyhow.

Judy Sgro is the Liberal candidate in my riding. I don't expect she'll fare very well this time around, but I guess we'll see.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Thank you all for doing your collective civic duties. As an avowed conservative, I will at least cancel one of your votes out today. Not that I mind, it WILL be a minority again.

What frosts me so much about this whole situation, is that the Governor General should have allowed Harper to form a government and save the taxpayers a bundle of cash. Anyone of sound mind should agree with me. Such extravagence is criminal. Perhaps we will get some badly needed reforms out of this bunch so that crap like we have been putting up with since Trudeau doesn't happen again. (ie. the calling of elections when it's politically convenient).

Happy Days Gang, Happy Days...

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Like I said in another Thread

As I AM Quebecoise and french...I vote BLOC

The Liberals are corrupted and the Conservateurs don't give a crap about us...so what should I do about it?

Any way, where I live, it's always BLOC that comes IN....

Ameliaxxxx

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Voted NDP as I said above. Hope we get more seats this time around with a TRUE balance of power instead of just short.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
voted Conservative

Niagara Region

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amelia
Like I said in another Thread

As I AM Quebecoise and french...I vote BLOC

The Liberals are corrupted and the Conservateurs don't give a crap about us...so what should I do about it?

Any way, where I live, it's always BLOC that comes IN....

Ameliaxxxx

Bold mine, vote NDP. The Bloc may come in where you are but vote your heart. I live in one of the few Tory strongholds in Ontario, read that money
, but I still voted NDP. Screw the Lib vote to damn Harper. If we all did this we would be better off.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Just got back from voting, around 4:30
Wow, talk about voter apathy! Only about 100 people have cast ballots at my booth. Hope everyone turns out after work!
my riding has an incumbent NDP in Hamilton Centre so I voted for him but don't know how the rest will go....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join