It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Boeing Sets World Record For Longest Commerical Jet Flight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
A Boeing 777 has landed in London after a 20000 kilometre flight east from Hong Kong, setting a new world record for the longest commerical flight. 35 passengers were onboard the jet for the flight which lasted 22 hours and 45 minutes and was 15 minutes ahead of schedule. The jet flew over the North Pacific, Northen USA and then crossed the Atlantic to land at Heathrow.

www.abc.net.au
A Boeing 777 plane has broken the world record for the longest flight for a commercial jet.

It beat the existing non-stop passenger airline record - also achieved by a Boeing 777 - by several thousand kilometres.

When fully operational, the Worldliner will be able to carry 301 passengers on a non-stop service between Australia and New York.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In this area as technology advances more and more records will be broken and it wont be long untill flight times are miniscule and distances longer as compared to today.

[edit on 10-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Jeez...How would you like to be on that flight?!

"This is the captain speaking.....Today we're going for a world record - Cross your fingers folks and lets hope we make it!"

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Thats a long time in the air for passangers and crew. The only problem with these ultra long range flights is crew rest and "Economy class syndrome". You will need a second crew on the plane. 777's do have a rest area with bunks for the crew above the main cabin.

As far as the passangers, sitting in a seat that long may increase the incidents of deep vein thrombosis in passangers. Many issues will have to be looked at before these type of flights can be undertaken.

However, kudos to Boeing for making such a long flight.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The previous record holder was a 747 wasn't it? And why's there a Russian aircraft in the picture? What is it, an Antanov? And, while I'm at it, thanks Boeing, for going the long way round and pumping another couple of tons of Carbon into the stratosphere. Nice press though.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cilandak
The previous record holder was a 747 wasn't it? And why's there a Russian aircraft in the picture? What is it, an Antanov?

Thats a 777 in Aeroflot (the Russian national airline) livery. I do not think many commercial Russian airliners are allowed in European or North American airspace due to safety regulation etc.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I think that's great! The passengers were actually pretty comfortable (even in economy class) - there were only 35 (not many people would be able to handle that long of a flight) of them. Man, it would be great to be on a flight with so few passengers (777s can seat hundreds of them).

Cheers for Boeing!

Although it would have been nicer if it were a supersonic jet. ;-)

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
...As far as the passangers, sitting in a seat that long may increase the incidents of deep vein thrombosis in passangers. Many issues will have to be looked at before these type of flights can be undertaken.

I always considered this to be the responsibility of the passengers. Everyone should know by themselves that sitting in cramped spaces for several hours is neither comfortable nor healthy. And still it always seems to me that I am the only one who regularly stands up in the airplane, walks up and down and does some stretching. I couldnt endure sitting so long anyway - I also do this in longer train rides or buses.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
thats amazing!

but youll never see me on a flight that lasts that long. i dont like flying that much. i can only handle about a half hour in the air other wise i will start losing my mind! sure its cool on take off and landing but after that the fear starts comming. i went to air force basic training i was losing my mind on the flight from omaha to dallas. dallas to san antonio was better though, only 45 minutes.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
My one and only experience with this beauty was a Saturday morning Boston to Denver flight. A truly impressive piece of engineering.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Not as good as an Airbus, though.

Whats the carbon output per passenger, by the way? Must be a bit more efficient?

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Not as good as an Airbus? In what way?

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Just stirring, zaphod...

top topics

join