It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet Another Moronic Potential Policy Shift of a US Government Agency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Delivery, anyone?

1918 flu breeds modern worries

In an apparent change of policy, the CDC may allow scientists broader access to the resurrected 1918 flu pandemic virus --- leading a top international science journal to scold the agency because the once-lethal virus might escape.

The long-lost virus --- which killed an estimated 50 million people around the world in 11 months --- was reconstructed earlier this year in a high-security biotech lab at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta with the help of research teams from New York and Washington.

When the CDC announced the re-creation Oct. 5, Director Julie Gerberding said the agency would not share the virus with other research teams unless they agreed to work in the CDC's Atlanta labs.

Now, however, the CDC may have changed its mind. The journal Nature reports today that the agency has agreed to send the virus to labs that take appropriate biosafety precautions and register under the federal government's "select agents" program, which sets rules for handling dangerous organisms and potential bioterror agents.

In a separate editorial, Nature warns: "The 1918 flu virus is hard to contain and is capable of spreading rapidly between people. . . . The threat of an accidental release is real."

More...

Idiots!

[edit on 10-11-2005 by loam]

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Well one would have to believe that the American Government would not be responsible enough to keep this virus from falling into nefarious hands to really be worried, wouldn't one.

CDC May Send 1918 Flu To Various US Labs

About 10 vials of virus were created, each containing about 10 million infectious virus particles. CDC officials said at the time the particles would be stored at a CDC facility in Atlanta, and that there were no plans to send samples off campus.
In addition to creating the virus, the scientists said they would place the gene-sequencing information from the new research in GenBank, a public database operated by the National Institutes of Health.
GenBank will allow some research groups to build their own virus, rather than seek samples of what the CDC had created.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It makes you wonder what the point of this article really is?? To me it's just more fear mongering by the media. If the virus is as devastating as they say it is, then what the hell are the people going to do about it if it ever gets released? If something like this really did happen it would be complete pandemonium. There's no other choice but martial law at that point.

The only purpose of this article is to scare us...............that's it.

Peace

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
The only purpose of this article is to scare us...............that's it.

You're right, no worries... The government has sufficiently demonstrated its preeminent competency in the past. There is noting to fear. The feds have everything under control...

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The question we all should be asking is why even take the risk of it possibly getting out. The article is basically about the federal government saying "we have this stuff"-- "it's a really bad mo-fo" -- "if it ever gets out it could kill 50 million" -- "we shouldn't, but we've decided to let other people get their hands on it" -- "there's really nothing you the citizen can do about it".

There's nothing you or I or anyone else can possibly do about this, so I ask again --- What's the point of this article?????? F.....E.....A.....R!!!!!

Peace

[edit on 10-11-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Can anyone say shades of "The Stand" by Stephen King?
This has all the earmarks that his "fictional" book had.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
What's the point of this article??????

Accountability.

The problem we have in this country is a short attention span and the languid interest of our populous. You are only sheep if you choose to be.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Hey Loam, did you notice this little diddy?

"....But the current vaccine which is in short supply in many areas of the country may not protect against the 1918 strain....."

"Current vaccine" -- "short supply" -- "may not protect"

If it may not protect, who cares if it's in short supply? If anything this tells me they should let other people have it so they can find a vaccine that "does protect". Why doesn't the media send reporters to the CDC and ask "why are you even messing with this stuff in the first place emmm-effers?" That's the root of the problem. This story is waaaay too little too late to be used for the purposes of accountability.

Peace

[edit on 10-11-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
To hold the government accountable is the reponsibility of the people...not necessarily the media...

I think I'm missing your point.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Ok, this is a level of exuberance I am not comfortable with at all!

Neocon Journalist excited by recreation of 1918 Killer Flu virus

new topics

top topics

join