It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How come the Seawolf class don't have the vertical launch system?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
it makes me wonder why they didnt put the system that has been successful in the past that provides much needed firepower without any special modifications on the Los Angeles. yeah the Seawolf has the capacity to hold 50 in the torpedoe room. but i thought its logical to have another 12 tomahawks or something else on the top bow. is it because of too much space? 50 already too much and is enough to compensate for the lack of vertical launch system?

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Sources say that the Seawolf has a double decked torpedo room with increased storage space over previous classes.
Me thinks that by having this instead of dedicated VLS tubes for Tomahawk the Seawolf has more flexibility for missions ie carrying mines.I guess that allowed this space to be taken up for other things.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
with 8 foraward tubes that can fire torpedo , missiles and mines + a double deck torpedo room with bags of room and storage i believe that the verticle launch tubes are redundant

they would split the magazines , make another waekness in the pressure hull , interfere with streamlining and stealth measures

PS - I am sure similar topics were discussed only recently - and some naval / ex navy types poped up and provided all the answers

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
How come the Seawolf class don't have the vertical launch system?

My understanding is that the Seawolf class does have optional limited VLS capabilities:

The Seawolf class boats are fitted with Tomahawk missiles launched via tube or via Vertical Launch System (VLS) tubes embedded in the deck.

MILNET: U.S.S. Seawolf SSN-21

Furthermore, the Seawolf is designed as a true submarine hunter-killer, not a guided-missile submarine.

seekerof

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
so it does have the vertical launch system. hmmm many of the sites i went to didnt reveal dat guess they didnt check carefully. wonder how many tubes are there...12 like the older class maybe?

new topics

top topics

join