It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions...Layer Cake ( other brit films)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Has anyone seen Millions or Layer Cake?
I am gonna pick them up today I watched them on download some time ago I think they were two of the best I have seen in a while..

Also anyone know of other good UK films?

Snatch is a classic

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I really liked Layer Cake. The ending was kind of...yeah. But it was still good.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I've yet to see Layer Cake but I plan to soon.

An excellent UK gangster film is Snatch, highly reccomended, even if the only thing you enjoy is Brad Pitts hilarious "pikey" voice.

Edit: Doh, just realised you already mentioned Snatch. Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is also good, the one that came before Snatch. And Trainspotting is a classic.

[edit on 10-11-2005 by chebob]

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Mean Machine, Trainspotting are all good choices from that genre, also Sexy Beast was quite good.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
In addition to the ones posted above which are all excellent, there is also, Green Street Hooligan, ID, Scum and of course Essex Boys!

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Layer Cake was very good in my opinion. Here's some more of my favourite Brit Films:
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels Snatch Trainspotting

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Anyone ever seen Gangster No. 1 ? A great Brit film. Starring Malcolm McDowell, Paul Bettany and David Thewlis..
Another great movie is "My Kingdom" starring Richard Harris

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Your all forgetting 28 Days Later!!!!! Shame on you

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stuey1221

No one's forgetting, just choosing not to remember. it was a real disapointment after a film like Trainspotting

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 03:29 AM
link   
You do know Danny Boyle did The Beach between those two, right? I think he may have even did another between it.

28 Days Later breathed life into a dying zombie flick industry. And it was well written.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Also worth checking out in the Gangster/Wide Boy genre is 'Love, Honour And Obey' with Jude Law, Ray Winstone, Johnny Lee Miller and Sadie Frost. Its a great film, and similar in plot/humour to Lock Stock and Snatch.

Have a look at I.D as well. Its about a cop working under cover in a football hooligan gang.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I'm surprised noone mentioned Boondock Saints. That was the best of the bunch. Followed by the Guy Richie flicks and then the Transporter. Now thats a good nite a movie watchin there. Havent seen Layer Cake yet it hasnt turned up yet in this backwoods burg.

[edit on 12/23/05 by longhaircowboy]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by thethrall_nb

Originally posted by Stuey1221

No one's forgetting, just choosing not to remember. it was a real disapointment after a film like Trainspotting

Depends how you look at it though. If you look at it as a Zombie flick, then yeah it will be disappointing. However, if you look at the underlying issues in it and how they're portrayed on screen and connoted to the audience then its infact a very good film. (Film Students perspective)

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Umm, Shaun of the Dead anyone?

And for other good British films try The Italian Job, The Full Monty, Bend it Like Beckham, The Ladykillers, Kind Hearts and Coronets. The League of Gentlemen is good, a very British crime movie.

And whatever you do, dont watch anything by Richard Curtis, 4 weddings, Notting Hill et al :bnghd:

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Avoid Green Street like the plague, its just bad in so many ways I don't want to mention! 28 days later is good, a bit sick, but good all the same! For something a big more light hearted though, Snatch and Shaun of the Dead are guaranteed to make you laugh.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
"Dog Soldiers"! Very tongue in cheek werewolf movie, really funny.

How about, "Shallow Grave" or "Football Factory"? I quite enjoy the little independent films like "One Man and His Dog", or "Goodbye Charlie Bright".

I recommend "Dead Man's Shoes", an great film and just shows what the young filmakers of this country can come up with.

Originally posted by longhaircowboyFollowed by the Guy Richie flicks and then the Transporter. Now thats a good nite a movie watchin there.

I'll just but in here, "The Transporter" was a USA/French release, written by none other than Luc Besson.

[edit on 12/1/2006 by FactoryLad]

top topics

join