It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABL making slow but steady progress, first missile shoot down test in late 2008

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   

After a year of ground tests, a laser weapon is approaching performance levels capable of destroying an enemy missile in flight, defense officials said.

If the military can get the weapon to work well enough for service, it will be installed into a highly modified Boeing 747-400 freighter. The laser would then be tested against actual missiles.

"Our goal is shoot down a boosting ballistic missile over the Pacific Ocean in late 2008," said Air Force Col. John Daniels, program director. "The missile will be launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base into the Pacific Test Range, where we will engage it."

Link

I don't know if I can wait 3 more years, I wanna see some laser action now. It looks like it will enter service sometime in 2010 if all goes well.

[edit on 10-11-2005 by NWguy83]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I think 06' is when there planning on (finally) firing the laser in the sky...i'm looking forward to seeing its power.

...In (laser) related news...Northrop Grumman has announced that they have the most powerfull solid state laser ever created (to the best of their knowledge).

Its 27kw, and ran for 350 seconds.

Northrop's laser

Its still has years to do...and in the next 5-10 years they hope to be up to 100 kw...which is good enough to have an effective weapon...but still a fraction of the power of the ABL.

[edit on 11-11-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
sounds like Dale Brown's books are coming to nonfiction. lasers may be the future dat could make missiles obsolete. not to mention shooting down aircraft if possible.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
not to mention shooting down aircraft if possible.

thats easier then shooting down a missile...so yes, its entirely possible.

makes you wonder...if the ABL went up against a Raptor...who would win?

[edit on 12-11-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

Who can't be detected by the other.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83

Who can't be detected by the other.

but the ABL can destroy whatever missile the Raptor fires at it (which arn't stealth)...and they could put a big radar in the ABL to detect the raptor sooner.

of course its all hypothetical, but if 1 Raptor went up against a ABL, I think i'd put my money on the ABL.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

but the ABL can destroy whatever missile the Raptor fires at it (which arn't stealth)...and they could put a big radar in the ABL to detect the raptor sooner.

of course its all hypothetical, but if 1 Raptor went up against a ABL, I think i'd put my money on the ABL.

But if the Raptor came from behind and fired it's missile...

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83

But if the Raptor came from behind and fired it's missile...

unless the missile was heat seekin, the ABL would littoraly go down in a blaze of glory.

Unless...........We put some X-31 style (thrust vectoring) paddels on all 4 engines...so it could quickley position itself to get a shot off.

hmmm...i'm currently deciding if I should make a thread for this. whatya think?

[edit on 14-11-2005 by Murcielago]

new topics

top topics

join