It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Politics: No election until after February.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Jack Layton has stated that he will not trigger an election until after the holidays.

www.cbc.ca

Layton calls for February election

NDP Leader Jack Layton said Wednesday he will introduce a motion Nov. 24 calling for a February election, avoiding a Christmas vote.

Layton said the motion will call on Prime Minister Paul Martin to dissolve the House of Commons in the first week of January.

"This avoids the holiday election that nobody wants," Layton told a news conference in Vancouver.

But Layton's motion is not considered a confidence motion, meaning support for it from all the opposition parties won't necessarily trigger an election. It is also unclear whether the government would be bound by the motion.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think an election is needed but I don't want to have to go to the polls during the holidays. Thanks Jack

[edit on 9/11/2005 by Umbrax]

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Here is an article that says Laytons plan wont work.

www.canada.com...

NDP motion won't fly, says constitutional guru

The dean of Canadian constitutional experts is guffawing at a proposed NDP motion demanding the Liberals call a federal election for February.

Ned Franks says that without an explicit expression of non-confidence in the minority government, Jack Layton's earnest appeal can't fly.
The problem, said Franks, is that if the House votes no confidence, the government falls immediately, setting the stage for a Christmas campaign no one wants. And if the government maintains confidence, Prime Minister Paul Martin cannot be compelled to call an election.

Neither scenario follows Layton's proposed timeline.

Hopefully a February election works out anyway. We need an election, but things need to be done first.
I don't want to go to the polls the day after boxing day.
extra DIV

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This is what I alluded to in your other thread. If Layton pulls the trigger when Martin as already said he will call an election in early '06 Canadians will be put off by it. Martin has controlled this situation worthy of Trudeau.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
More Gommery fallout, eh? Well, the Conservatives should get their crap together if they actually want a shot at the hoop this time. I know, I shudder about that too. However, the liebrals have been screwing us a little each year, and the conservatives have a record of screwing us once a term, but BIG TIME.

Remember Mulroney?

I don't want to see Harper in power. Should he get there, let me call what will happen- he will screw up the country, the vaguely aligned conservative groups with sunder once again, and we'll be right back to where we were in the early nineties. I mean, there's a reason Mulroney doesn't live in this country anymore. Harper should investigate an escape plan.

And Intrepid, Paul Martin isn't smart, or talented. He is very, very lucky. And sweaty.

DE

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
This is what I alluded to in your other thread. If Layton pulls the trigger when Martin as already said he will call an election in early '06 Canadians will be put off by it. Martin has controlled this situation worthy of Trudeau.

You mean Layton has controlled this situation
The ball has been in his court for a while now and he doesn't want to go to the polls without at least guanteeing the NDP a gain in seats(as much as you can guantee it anyway)

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
You mean Layton has controlled this situation
The ball has been in his court for a while now and he doesn't want to go to the polls without at least guanteeing the NDP a gain in seats(as much as you can guantee it anyway)

The ball was in his court, Martin took it away by saying he would call an election within 30 of Gommery's 2nd report(Feb. 1st). By bringing down the gov. before that he becomes opportunistic. OK, what if Martin doesn't keep his word? Layton can still bring him down. Laytons control is gone. If he wants to strengthen the NDP's powers in Parliment the only way to do it is by following Martins timetable.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
My last post on this thread showed constitutional expert, Ned Franks, saying that Layton's plan wont work.

Now here is University of Alberta political scientist, Steve Patten, saying his plan will work.

www.edmontonsun.com
NDP Leader Jack Layton's "common-sense solution" to avoiding a Christmas election while still managing to bring down the government is so crazy it just might work, a University of Alberta political scientist suggested yesterday.

"They're trying to create a situation where there's meaningful political pressure on Paul Martin to call an election," said Steve Patten yesterday.

"It's innovative and constructive and it's trying to work around a difficult situation. I think there's a very good chance it will work."

Layton said this week his party will move ahead Nov. 24 with a Commons motion that will slam the record of Prime Minister Martin's minority government and call on him to call an election in early January.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   

www.canada.com...

Majority oppose early election

OTTAWA - A majority of Canadians believe Paul Martin's government should be given until next spring to do its job before an election is called, a new poll has found.

Wow, for once I belong to a majority

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   

www.cbc.ca
The opposition leaders are demanding that Prime Minister Paul Martin agree to make an election call in January or face a no-confidence motion that could bring down his government in November.

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper, NDP Leader Jack Layton and Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles Duceppe issued the ultimatum after meeting in Ottawa on Sunday, saying the Liberals had lost their moral authority to govern.

Things are heating up!

Personally I'll blame the whole bunch of them if we get an election during the holidays.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   
This whole thing is just a giant blooper. I really dont care who wins the next election, every Canadian politician is a total goon.

If the election is during the holidays, well then im not voting.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
It's just sooo "South Park" we get to choose between a Douche and a Turd. (Yes I know I left Layton out of the mix but...as if)

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It's looking like the BQ actually has a chance in mainland Canada.

I wouldn't vote for Martin. I wouldn't vote for Harper. Well, look what Layton did with my vote. What does that leave me with?

DE

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
It looks like there may be a holiday election after all. My guess is that the Liberals have noticed a slight rise in popularity recently and are hoping to make gains.
Is it just me or does any-one else dislike the idea of going to the polls when we should be visiting with our families?

If it's seen that the Liberals are the only party actually pushing this election time, I think their popular vote will vanish like Christmas wrappings on boxing day.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

[edit on 14-11-2005 by masqua]

[edit on 14-11-2005 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I'm going to vote for whoever scraps all the unnecessary taxation, lowers or abolishes the gst and creates fair tax brackets, privatizes the health care system at least somewhat... there should be another option for those who don't mind paying health insurance, perhaps they could then go easier on those who want that by cutting their taxes... but thats all just a pipe dream. taxes will remain high, health care will still have it's problems, and people who go to school for a long time to have a good income later on down the road will be punished for their hard work via the income tax bracket.

there is a libertarian party in canada, not sure if they have gained any noteriety within the arena though.. who running independant?

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
An alternative would be nice.

Maybe Green? Something? Anything? Just not another corporate front. Please.

top topics

join