It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Matrix: Yes or No

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Ok... I watched the Matrix again last night and watching the original after seeing them all was really a treat and helped me learn alot more about the basis of the system. I really do consider this to be possible; I mean perception is reality so is it really that crazy to think it could not be done.

Early in the movie Morpheus says how depended we became on machines; and when we ventured into AI, we went too deep and they began to take over. We thought our only shot at survival was to kill their source of energy, The sun. Which turned out to the biggest mistake of all. The last of the humans are living in Zyon near the core of the earth, and the rest of us are enslaved inside the Matrix, living out predetermined lives.

You could talk for weeks about the Matrix, and individual components of it. So all I ask is, Any reply Begin with YES or NO. Then explain why you think this could be possible or not. If your a fence sitter throw a MAYBE in their and explain what you like and do not like.

If you would like to read anything online about this topic; or Learn more. Just visit the website, What is the Matrix?

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Personally, I think not. But even if it that were the case for our world, it still doesn't explain why the world is here or what the universe actually is. It's still just a far out idea that could be possible but most likely is not.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I personally dont think the matrix is supposed to explain anything of the universe. Unless i missed something, the matrix is only regarding Earth. So when the Wachowski brothers wrote this; i do not think they intended at all to explain anything other then our own world. If i am way off here, please inform me

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Are we living in a matrix? I will say maybe. If you believe in religion you already believe in different worlds with a physical and spiritual unseen world. If you believe in some religious teachings, you may have heard that this is the world of man not the kingdom of heaven. That statement implies we are living in a different reality and that a different reality exists that we are not experiencing at the moment. If you believe that Jesus actually walked on water and calmed the storms down at his command or thoughts, then you could almost imagine that such an individual understood that this world might be an illusion made for man and that you might be able to gain control over it the same way as portrayed in the movie The Matrix. However since most of us have never personally seen anyone walk on water or alter the weather almost instantaneously, it becomes hard for us to believe in anything we can't see.

I can easily imagine that believing in a matrix could get you labeled as crazy or insane especially if you start thinking you can or are altering this reality by your thoughts alone. You could imagine that a computer core AI is finding our thoughts on this matrix thing very interesting and has a sense of humor so when we start thinking about a disaster or something, the core makes it happen and then we start scratching our heads to the amusement or entertainment of some mysterious AI. So be careful what you think about or it may happen.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Well, if your talking about the Matrix the way it is in the movie, I would say no. Somthing like that would seem to thraten the real Matrix and the machines would not allow it. Is it possible there could be a Matrix? Of course, but I dont think there is one right now.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
NO.

It's a movie, for crying out loud! A movie!

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Well, it is a movie, but it's a movie based on philosophical theories of knowledge and perception, so these ideas have been around for a long time.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
This concept is as old as the oldest civilizations. If you read the upanishads, or the Vedas, it explains just that. Also check into quantum theory for modern scientific confirmation.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dropkickproud
Well, if your talking about the Matrix the way it is in the movie, I would say no. Somthing like that would seem to thraten the real Matrix and the machines would not allow it. Is it possible there could be a Matrix? Of course, but I dont think there is one right now.

In the Matrix, the AI aquired a massive amount of emotional overture. Just look at Agent Smith and the old guy at the end of the third movie. Maybe the Admin of the Matrix thought it would be a sick joke to let us see exactly what we were in and how we could break it.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I think it's possible, so I'll say "maybe". What's more, we may be simulations, too!

If you've ever thought life was actually a dream, take comfort. Some pretty distinguished scientists may agree with you. Philosophers have long questioned whether there is in fact a real world out there, or whether "reality" is just a figment of our imagination.

Then along came the quantum physicists, who unveiled an Alice-in-Wonderland realm of atomic uncertainty, where particles can be waves and solid objects dissolve away into ghostly patterns of quantum energy.

Now cosmologists have got in on the act, suggesting that what we perceive as the universe might in fact be nothing more than a gigantic simulation.

Sydney Morning Herald

Maybe the programmer is running a simulation of a certain time period of their history. Who knows? Maybe there are "easter eggs" to find.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Maybe.

I hate the movie, and NOT just because Keanu "Keant Act" Reeves is in it.

But I agree with whoever mentioned the spiritual and physical "sides". That is something very basic, and perhaps people will learn a bit about it when they watch the Matrix. If so, great, but I wouldn't just become plato and say "My brain is in a jar", it's not that simple IMO. Again, IMO, computers and AI don't come into it, but the general ideas of "unreality" or a spiritual side seperate from the physical, that I can ponder, for a long time, and have. It's a whole new topic, that seems to get muddled when "the Matrix" is mentioned, and I'm sure there are plenty of threads discussing this already.

Basically, the Matrix is fine for "opening the mind" a little, looking outside the box, but it's not fact, it shouldn't be taken 100% to heart. (and Keanu Reeves shouldn't be getting paid for emulating the acting abilitys of a plank of wood
)

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   
No I don't believe the matrix is real!

But the concept of it being all around you and confusing your brain does make sense, As Morpheos says "The Matrix is everywhere." People walk around blinded by what is really around them.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I, like others here, believe that some sort of Matrix-like scenario is possible, but I don't think it involves machines keeping humans in pods and stuff. There may be some sort of Matrix "illusion" but I don't think it's that grotesque.

Now if you want to go really deep with it, watch The Matrix again and look for all the spiritual/religious references.

Trinity, Zion, Nebuchadnezzar.
"Born into bondage, born into a prison that you cannot smell or taste or touch." and then "The one" comes and saves all of humanity. Neo has two meanings... it means "New" in Greek, but it is also an anagram for "One". Neo sacrifices his own life to save another and comes back even more powerful. Morpheus is similar to John the Baptist. Forget the name of the Judas-like guy. And yeah.

Crazy stuff. lol.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I think there is a smidge of truth, in that a lot of us go through our lives thinking about what to wear, what to eat, our jobs, our cars, our houses, when all that stuff has no place in eternity. We've got 70 or so years (if we're lucky) on this rock, so if the movie wakes people up to the fact that they need to find out what's beyond those 70 years then I think that's excellent. I spend a lot of time here because you'll not find many people who are going through the hum-drum life. People are either waking up or have woken up to the fact that this life is a blink of the eye. Take heart! There is a way to get the gift of eternal life and know it. Send U2U for details.

Pray, train, study,
God bless.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Maybe

Take a look around when your at a shopping centre or other crowded place people are already "plugged" into machines just look at i-pods and other technology.With technology these days someone can stay inside their own house for ever but still use a computer to interact with people.
The way i see it the world is becoming more and more reliant on technology as we develop it

Will Machines ever take over the world
No i think not because after all they were programmed and designed by man and even though we have given them some AI such as furbies What happens in the matrix could not develop with our current technology

But how do we know it hasn't already happened?

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
dropkickproud says:

Well, it is a movie, but it's a movie based on philosophical theories of knowledge and perception, so these ideas have been around for a long time.

So is the movie "A Miracle on 34th Street".

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
No.

Bad science, okay fiction. Moderately okay science fiction.

Originally posted by chissler
Early in the movie Morpheus says how depended we became on machines; and when we ventured into AI, we went too deep and they began to take over.

At this point, each and every one of us who program computers and who have ever played with or worked with robots are throwing bricks at the scriptwriters. Sorry, but you don't just let a program wander around without some sort of 'stop' code on it. You might want to debug it, for instance. You might want to stop it and move it elsewhere. You always have a control for it... a control of some sort.

It's a typical Glorious Apocalypse movie with a theme designed to engage people. It makes a hero of the Little Guy who gets Insider Info and brings up the small gang of rebels scenario -- like Star Wars. Or Lord of the Rings.

It's lame (LAME!) computer science, though. Really lame. On the order of 'giant rampaging clams take over the world' lame.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Rasobasi420 says:

“Thus it is remembered: O Sun, bow to you, you who travers 2,202 yojanas in half a minute. “

The Puranas define 1 nimesha to be equal to 16/75 seconds. 1 yojana is about 9 miles. Substituting in Sayana’s statement we get 186,000 per second

If you assume the ancient Indian definition of “minute” is sixty “nimeshas”, then the substitution would be that one minute equals 12.8 seconds. So (2,202 X 9) / ((0.5) X (12. 8)) give us 19,818 miles per 6.4 seconds or 3096.5625 miles per second. The ancient Indian “science” seems to be off by an order of sixty.

If, on the other hand, a “nimesha” is a minute, then the estimate is much closer to reality. Perhaps you have a reliable citation of this source document which dates back to before the Western scientists determined the true velocity of C?

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Yes and No. No, in that we aren't controlled by machines, but yes in the possibility that we are of some use or value to whatever exists in the dimensions above our 3rd - aka that which may be responsible for why we are here, or, our creator.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
dropkickproud says:

So is the movie "A Miracle on 34th Street".

My initial impression after reading that quote was, but that is ridiculous. But afer thinking about it, it really is not that crazy. The matrix is something you either believe is possible or not, but those who do not believe in it have to accept that those who do, can not prove it. That concept is not that far from this either i guess.

The one thing i stand up against in this thread is those who are saying it is a simple movie, thats it. Ok that is your opinion, but some of you guys are brilliant through these posts i read, so lets not be to narrowminded about this concept and deny its possibility. Sure its far fetched, but at the same time, is it really?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join