It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you talk to God?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by just me 2
Even if the songs do repeat once in awhile, what are the odds of the song in question being played at the EXACT moment that I had prayed for it to be played?

If it's a popular song, about 1 in 30.

I thought god doesn't interfere with free will.

Deuteronomy 17:15 ....

None of those passages address how god could cause your friend to call you in clear violation of your friend's free will.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

How do you come up with that figure? What if it's not a popular song?

None of those passages address how god could cause your friend to call you in clear violation of your friend's free will.

2 Corinthians 8:3
"For I can testify that they gave not only what they could afford but far more. And they did it of their own free will."

Do you have any refutes on the last story about God making me go to "Creation"?

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Can you talk to God?

If you understand the language being utilized. But, in order for this to work you must know yourself.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Hi "E.T."

I understand God's voice (or language, as you put it,) because He is my Heavenly Father.

Do you mean to tell me that you don't know yourself?

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   

How do you come up with that figure? What if it's not a popular song?

Based on the typical size of most playlists. The less popular it is, the less frequently it will be played. If you really want to know, I suppose you could request the playlist for the days around the time you heard the song and calculate the odds expicitly.

2 Corinthians 8:3
"For I can testify that they gave not only what they could afford but far more. And they did it of their own free will."

This is a passage about people giving when requested to do so. Your friend called you out of the blue. Not that it matters much. If this is a friend you talk to regularly, then the odds they will call when you are thinking about them probably aren't that bad.

Do you have any refutes on the last story about God making me go to "Creation"?

You were persistent and you finally got what you wanted. The only coincidental part was winning tickets on the radio. Surely you knew or suspected they were giving out those tickets when you called. You're taking coincidental events as proof of god, yet similar events happen to me as well. If coincidence is god in action, then he does not discriminate based on beliefs.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Based on the typical size of most playlists. The less popular it is, the less frequently it will be played.

God has spoken to me many times in this way. Some songs are more popular, some are more rare, but they always apply to what I pray about!

Your friend called you out of the blue. Not that it matters much. If this is a friend you talk to regularly, then the odds they will call when you are thinking about them probably aren't that bad.

I actually didn’t know him very well. He was only a former co-worker that I had gotten to know on the job. He never called just to say “hi” or anything like that but on this particular occasion, he did.
Coincidence? NO! God ordained? YES!

You were persistent and you finally got what you wanted. The only coincidental part was winning tickets on the radio. Surely you knew or suspected they were giving out those tickets when you called.

Actually, you are half right on this one. I had heard the announcement that they were giving away the tickets on a previous day, but at the time that I called the station I had forgotten about it.. Besides, knowing that my husband would not let me go, I wouldn’t have called for that reason, anyways, even if I had remembered about the prize.

You're taking coincidental events as proof of god, yet similar events happen to me as well. If coincidence is god in action, then he does not discriminate based on beliefs.

Maybe He is trying to get your attention so that you will believe in Him!

How do you like this one?

One night, my husband and I were arguing about something (I don’t even remember what started the whole thing) but it ended with him feeling that I don’t pay him enough attention in public, and that he thinks that I am ashamed of him. He also thinks that we don’t have enough romance in our marriage. I ran upstairs crying and fell to my knees and prayed for God to help me with these issues.

The very next morning, as I was checking my e-mail, I noticed that there was one that was all about putting romance back into long time marriages! There were dozens of suggestions from other couples that have been married just as long or longer than we have. One of their ideas was to take a weekend for ourselves with out the kids. Well our 15th anniversary is coming up in about 2 months and I should start planning now!!!

Also, that same day, one of my co-workers brought me a Christian women’s magazine that had an article in it about spicing up your marriage, too. She had no idea that article was even in it or that I was in need of that sort of an article! All she knew was that it was a Christian magazine that she thought I’d enjoy. (A DOUBLE WHAMMY FROM GOD!!)

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Maybe He is trying to get your attention so that you will believe in Him!

Maybe he doesn't care whether or not people believe in him, and he provides everyone with these types of unusual events to make the point. If he wants me to believe, and he's willing to provide me evidence of his existence, he could just talk to me.

When bizarre things happen that end up in tradgedy, is that god as well?

[edit on 15-11-2005 by spamandham]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Even if he talked to you, you might prefer to consider yourself psychotic rather than deal with the implications of God being real.

It all boils down to faith, personally I am either psychotic or God exists (I hear his voice), there is no way of knowing for sure although it could be said I believe in God simply because I prefer not to think of myself as psychotic.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Maybe he doesn't care whether or not people believe in him

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

Here is the same verse only with your name inserted.

For God so loved [spandandham] that he gave his one and only Son, that [if spamandham] believes in him, [he] shall not perish but have eternal life.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

If he wants me to believe, and he's willing to provide me evidence of his existence, he could just talk to me.

Acts 11:23
"When he arrived and saw the evidence of the grace of God, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts."

This verse shows that when people see God's grace, they believe in Him and are willing to submit their lives to Him.

Are you familiar with the story of Jesus and the Samaritan woman?
If not, you can read it here:
www.biblegateway.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.biblegateway.com...< br />
Anyways, this is a true story (similar to the Samaritan Woman) of people living in India.
11/15/2005: Jesus lifted Babu's head

The unexpected care shown by a man of God jolted Babu's life.

Babu was an outcast, an "Untouchable." He would face serious consequences if he didn't keep away from anyone of a social status other than his own: Babu was a Dalit.

Working as a laborer in a city in north India, Babu was used to being looked down on by those belonging to higher castes. He had to draw water from a different well and go to a different temple. He knew that others would consider themselves defiled if he even touched them.

When he met Pastor Shoji, Babu was surprised that he did not sense disgust and hesitation coming towards him. Pastor Shoji readily and lovingly shared the Gospel.

Babu was touched and intrigued by the love and concern the pastor showed him. It was so far from normal for someone to willingly talk with him. Didn't the pastor see he was a Dalit? Worthless, untouchable?

Gradually, as Babu listened, he understood that Pastor Shoji's God saw him differently, and it was the love of Christ that overflowed from Pastor Shoji. Babu's heart was filled with joy at the thought that Jesus valued him, and he gave his life to Christ.

Within days, Babu's whole family became Christians as well. Their lives were so abundantly filled with His joy and love that Babu decided to bring the Good News to his own village of Untouchables like himself. In the next two years, 40 of those people found salvation.

As Pastor Shoji, Babu and others like them continue showing the love of Jesus to these oppressed people, God heals broken hearts. That they are valued by the Lord is something they can never forget.

Here is an excellent article that explains why there is so much suffering in life today:
www.thercg.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.thercg.org...

www.thercg.org...

It all boils down to faith, personally I am either psychotic or God exists (I hear his voice), there is no way of knowing for sure although it could be said I believe in God simply because I prefer not to think of myself as psychotic.

“Hearing” God’s “voice” does not make me psychotic! One third of the earth’s population consider themselves Christian. Would you consider all of them to be psychotic as well?

[edit on 17-11-2005 by Thomas Crowne]

[edit on 17-11-2005 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I don't know why I have so much trouble posting links to other website?
It's "hit and miss"! Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't!

Please just copy and paste the links into your browser to read them.

JM2

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

Here is the same verse only with your name inserted.

For God so loved [spandandham] that he gave his one and only Son, that [if spamandham] believes in him, [he] shall not perish but have eternal life.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

If he wants me to believe, and he's willing to provide me evidence of his existence, he could just talk to me.

Acts 11:23
"When he arrived and saw the evidence of the grace of God, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts."

This verse shows that when people see God's grace, they believe in Him and are willing to submit their lives to Him.

Are you familiar with the story of Jesus and the Samaritan woman?
If not, you can read it here:
www.biblegateway.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.biblegateway.com...< br />
Anyways, this is a true story (similar to the Samaritan Woman) of people living in India.
11/15/2005: Jesus lifted Babu's head

The unexpected care shown by a man of God jolted Babu's life.

Babu was an outcast, an "Untouchable." He would face serious consequences if he didn't keep away from anyone of a social status other than his own: Babu was a Dalit.

Working as a laborer in a city in north India, Babu was used to being looked down on by those belonging to higher castes. He had to draw water from a different well and go to a different temple. He knew that others would consider themselves defiled if he even touched them.

When he met Pastor Shoji, Babu was surprised that he did not sense disgust and hesitation coming towards him. Pastor Shoji readily and lovingly shared the Gospel.

Babu was touched and intrigued by the love and concern the pastor showed him. It was so far from normal for someone to willingly talk with him. Didn't the pastor see he was a Dalit? Worthless, untouchable?

Gradually, as Babu listened, he understood that Pastor Shoji's God saw him differently, and it was the love of Christ that overflowed from Pastor Shoji. Babu's heart was filled with joy at the thought that Jesus valued him, and he gave his life to Christ.

Within days, Babu's whole family became Christians as well. Their lives were so abundantly filled with His joy and love that Babu decided to bring the Good News to his own village of Untouchables like himself. In the next two years, 40 of those people found salvation.

As Pastor Shoji, Babu and others like them continue showing the love of Jesus to these oppressed people, God heals broken hearts. That they are valued by the Lord is something they can never forget.

Here is an excellent article that explains why there is so much suffering in life today:
www.thercg.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.thercg.org...

“Hearing” God’s “voice” does not make me psychotic! One third of the earth’s population consider themselves Christian. Would you consider all of them to be psychotic as well?

I was talking about myself - as I hear God's voice. I was simply anticipating a rebuttal along the lines of the one I offered. The fact is, I could be psychotic - although I doubt this is the case. But to deny this possibility to myself is something I simply cannot do. I do consider myself Christian however and have been baptised as an adult.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Hi "E.T."

I understand God's voice (or language, as you put it,) because He is my Heavenly Father.

Do you mean to tell me that you don't know yourself?

I know myself as myself, but that is not the same as knowing ourselves as others know us.

I'm not saying we must know ourselves as others see us. Knowing ourselves opens up those perspectives for us. Knowing what we want is the first step to recognizing what we want. I'm not talking about any tangible thing, but what our inside voice tells us. But, first we must be of one mind, not operating with two. Knock the devil and the angel off both of our shoulders and listen to the head that has been between the two. Third eye. Mind's eye. Whatever you equate it to.

If there is doubt, if there is question, if there is a need to contemplate . .. .... then are we just doing what we know is right, or are we responding to the external stimuli in a way that we are juggling the balance within our mind between WHAT BENEFITS YOU and THE NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES?

Our truth is not:

Identifying and balancing WHAT BENEFITS ME THE MOST verses WHAT POSSIBLE NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES COULD RESULT.

That process provides us only a risk management perspective. And we have been conditioned by this world to pick, never having recognized the option of what is simply the best thing to do, by your standards, not the standards of man. If there is no God, we only recognize the standards as the standards of man and we judge those standards accordingly, by comparing them to our own standards. But, if those standards are the standards of God, then we permit ourselves to take more in.

Knowing who I am today is only knowing my intentions.

I am no less conscious if I were to loose a limb.

I am more conscious if I begin to recognize another voice outside of the angel and devil on my shoulders

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   

You are of course assuming the Bible has some authority. I make no such assumption. To me, it's just a collection of ancient books of mythology.

One third of the earth’s population consider themselves Christian. Would you consider all of them to be psychotic as well?

Well, I'm glad to see that you recognize Catholics are Christians.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Well, I'm glad to see that you recognize Catholics are Christians.

Catholics are a denomination of Christianity, but they have different doctrines on several subjects. For example, they believe in a "works" theology, as if one can earn their own Salvation by their own good works(denying Pauls words in Ephesians 2:8-9.)

They also do not take the Bible literally.
Which leads me to my next story!

I had found an awesome article on Jesus on the internet, and I printed it out for my Muslim friend/co-worker D.J.* After I gave it to him, I then told my Catholic friend Kelsie* to pray for him, and that he would read that article.
Then Kelsie and I got into a debate over whether or not D.J. will go to Heaven. She said that God will be merciful because D.J. is sincerely trying to worship God, as he knows him, and that because he was raised as a Muslim, that is the only faith he knows, and that God cannot punish people for not knowing any better.

I showed her Scriptures to prove that D.J. will go to Hell if he doesn't trust in Jesus:

John 14:6, “Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’ ”

2 Thessalonians 1:8-9, “He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power…”

John 3:16 “He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power…”

Then, Kelsie said that I was "taking the Bible too literally!"

To make a long story short, she said that several people at work don't approve of my evangelism methods, and I am turning people away from God. Then she proceeded into my boss’s office and told her. At that point, my job was seriously on the line, and I was strictly forbidden to talk to anyone at the dealership about my Faith who might have a different belief system.
She made an analogy about if I harass someone to the point of making them feel uncomfortable; it is similar to sexual harassment.

They would go to the owner of the dealership and he would be forced to react in an unfavorable way. I have NEVER HARRASSED anyone about my beliefs! Never! If they told me they were offended, I would apologize and stop the conversation. (which has never happened!)

The ironic part is that today, as I was walking to my car, D.J. asked me what was wrong, and when I told him, he said that he wasn't even offended by that article. Kelsie (the Catholic woman) just assumed that he was!
I cried off and on all day. That afternoon, when I had gotten off work, I stopped by the bank to make a deposit. As I kept thinking about the day’s events, I broke down into tears even more! I prayed for God to help me, because I felt so sad and depressed. Just as I pulled into the parking lot of the bank, “Healing Rain” by Michael W. Smith came on the radio.

Healing rain is coming down
It's coming nearer to this old town
Rich and poor, weak and strong
It's bringing mercy, it won't be long

Healing rain is coming down
It's coming closer to the lost and found
Tears of joy, and tears of shame
Are washed forever in Jesus' name

Healing rain, it comes with fire
So let it fall and take us higher
Healing rain, I'm not afraid
To be washed in Heaven's rain

Lift your heads, let us return
To the mercy seat where time began
And in your eyes, I see the pain

The “rain” was my tears and God was telling me that it was OK to cry, that He sees my pain and that He was healing me through my tears.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Catholics are a denomination of Christianity, but they have different doctrines on several subjects. For example, they believe in a "works" theology,

NO THEY DON'T! You are helping to spread a lie. Please inform yourself about them before noting the thorn in your brother's eye.

They also do not take the Bible literally.

That much is true. Considering they wrote the silly thing, you'd be wise to heed their example.

[edit on 15-11-2005 by spamandham]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   

NO THEY DON'T! You are helping to spread a lie. Please inform yourself about them before noting the thorn in your brother's eye.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that's the way it seems from the conversations I've had with them.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Hi Spammy!

REFUTE THIS ONE!

One night, my 2-year-old daughter had a real bad cold. She had crawled into bed with us at around 1:30am, (as she does on most nights), and was coughing up a storm. Well, I don’t know about you, but at 1:30 in the morning I’m dead tired and I don’t feel like getting up, going to the medicine cabinet, measuring out the cough syrup, and the whole nine yards. So, I just put my hand on her chest, and started to pray.

“Dear Heavenly Father, Please let Amanda stop coughing so she can get some sleep and feel better. In Jesus name, Amen.

You know what? SHE DID NOT UTTER ONE MORE COUGH THE REST OF THE NIGHT!!!!!!! God is SSSSOOOO good to my children!

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   

REFUTE THIS ONE!

So, I just put my hand on her chest, and started to pray.

“Dear Heavenly Father, Please let Amanda stop coughing so she can get some sleep and feel better. In Jesus name, Amen.

You win. A miracle is the only possible explanation. Now that we've established that, how do you know it wasn't satan trying to trick you away from the real god Allah.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   

You win. A miracle is the only possible explanation. Now that we've established that, how do you know it wasn't satan trying to trick you away from the real god Allah.

Because God is omniscient, He even knows our thoughts.
Psalm 94:11
The LORD knows the thoughts of man;

Psalm 139:2
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.

Every prayer I've told you about has only been in my mind!
It couldn't have been Satan because he does not know our thoughts like God does.

Here's another one for ya!

On Sunday night, (May 4th,) my 6-year-old daughter was NOT listening to anything I had to say! I was screaming at her left and right. Everything I told her just went in one ear and out the other. By the time I got her into bed, I was so exasperated that I just had to go downstairs and spend some quiet time with the Lord.

I prayed for Him to give me some patience and to help me to be slow to get angry like He was, and to help me to be a better parent in general.
After I prayed, I started reading my Bible but not in any particular order. I just skipped around here and there, not really focusing on anything;kind of playing "Bible Roulette". I guess I was waiting for something to just to jump out and hit me, but it wasn’t happening. So I looked at my Church notes from that morning’s sermon.

On the back, there’s a weekly devotional that I look at sometimes. One of the things it said was to read the book of James.

Well, I was so tired, that I really didn’t feel like reading anymore so I went up to bed. The next morning when I got to work, I remembered the book of James. As I started reading, the 19th verse of the 1st chapter says,

“My dear brothers and sisters, be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Your anger can never make things right in God’s sight.”

Keep in mind that I had previously read that phrase in the Bible somewhere, but I had no idea where. So God showed me the exact verse when I asked Him to. Then in chapter 3, it was all about controlling your tongue:

“Dear brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged by God with greater strictness. We all make many mistakes, but those who control their tongues can also control themselves in every other way. We can make a large horse turn around and go wherever we want by means of a small bit in its mouth. And a tiny rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot wants it to go, even though the winds are strong. So also, the tongue is a small thing, but what enormous damage it can do. A tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin your whole life. It can turn the entire course of your life into a blazing flame of destruction, for it is set on fire by Hell itself. People can tame all kinds of animals and birds and reptiles and fish, but no one can tame the tongue. It is an uncontrollable evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it brakes out into curses against those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! Does a spring of water bubble out with both fresh water and bitter water? Can you pick olives from a fig tree or figs from a grapevine? No, and you can’t draw fresh water from a salty pool.”James 3:1-12

I had read this passage before, but at the time, I thought it was referring to saying bad language or using the Lord’s name in vain. I read it in a whole new light this time! Yes, my Heavenly Father has spoken to me yet again! If I hadn’t been so tired that night, my prayer would have been answered immediately!

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
The url that just 2 me was putting on the board:

www.thercg.org...

got no idea why it is squirrelly; I copy/pasted what you sent me and it worked.

Edit your thread and look at the difference between the two; I pasted it under the other, if it is the same one. There is a difference. Rather than hitting copy, I hit copy shortcut. Dunno if that is different.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join