It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you talk to God?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I have so many threads going I am getting lost between ATS & BTS heh.

Anyway I was wondering everyones thoughts on this. I mean not just prayer but like if you try to communicate with the other side have you ever had any sort of reply? I read once God talks to you in dreams and I tried to pray and ask for communication to understand better and than had multiple dreams that did help me understand. Now I guess if you believe in God he did it or if you do not than it is all mental. Anyway was curious about this and any experiences. I know this maybe very personal so if you don't feel comfortable posting please message me.

Thanks everyone. L

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Hi Japike,
It's funny that you would ask this question because I am writing a book on this very subject!
I have spoken toHim (and gotten replies back) many times!
You just have to know how to listen for His voice.
“…and His sheep follow Him because they know His voice.” John 10:4

God speaks to His Children many different ways. For example:
* through the advice of pastors or other people
* through dreams
* through lyrics of songs
* through circumstances and situations
* through His Word (the Bible)

He is very creative!

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by just me 2
Hi Japike,
It's funny that you would ask this question because I am writing a book on this very subject!
I have spoken toHim (and gotten replies back) many times!
You just have to know how to listen for His voice.

God speaks to His Children many different ways. For example:
* through the advice of pastors or other people
* through dreams
* through lyrics of songs
* through circumstances and situations
* through His Word (the Bible)

He is very creative!

Total agreement! I cant believe you and I see eye to eye on something just me 2! You see god is in us all, some just do not listen!

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by japike
I have so many threads going I am getting lost between ATS & BTS heh.

You would be less confused if you concentrate on understanding what you mean by the word "god".

Can you talk to god? Hmmm. Can you talk to Tom Sawyer?

Try talking to Tom Sawyer sometime and see if he talks back.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
If God speaks to me in dreams, he/she/it wants me to die in various nightmare situations.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Can you talk to god? Hmmm. Can you talk to Tom Sawyer?
Try talking to Tom Sawyer sometime and see if he talks back.

Tom Sawyer is a fictional character! God is NOT!

You see god is in us all, some just do not listen!

I think I told you on the other thread that not all people are God's children. Unbelievers don't know how to listen to His voice.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Tom Sawyer is a fictional character! God is NOT!

Tom Sawyer will talk back to you in the exact same way god does, as long as you believe he will.

By the way, I obviously see no reason to even suspect god is not a fictional character.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
One of my first experiences with “Divine Intervention” was on Thanksgiving 2002, my friend Kim was at our house watching T.V. and we were talking about how long we’ve been friends. I said to her, “You know that you are always welcome at our house.” Then as a joke, I added, “Except if it was 2:00 in the morning!”
Then a few days later, I read this passage in Luke:

“Suppose you went to a friend’s house at midnight, wanting to borrow three loaves of bread. You would say to him, ‘A friend of mine has just arrived for a visit, and I have nothing for him to eat.’ He would call out from his bedroom, ‘don’t bother me. The door is locked for the night, and we are all in bed. I can’t help you this time.’ But I tell you this-though he won’t do it as a friend, if you keep knocking long enough, he will get up and give you what you want so his reputation won’t be damaged.”(Luke 11:5-8 NLT)

(Keep in mind that I did not go searching for this passage, as this was the first time I had read that particular Book in the Bible, so I didn't even know it was there to begin with! This is true for all of the stories that I will tell you guys on this thread.)

When I showed Kim that passage, I made sure that she knew that she was welcome ANYTIME day or night! (She knew that I had been joking about the 2:00am part anyways.)

It’s uncanny when something happens and then you see a passage of scripture that relates to what happened. It only goes to show you that God is watching EVERYTHING!

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
just me 2, are you saying that this set of events could not possibly be mundane?

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
By mundane, do you mean a coincidence? It could have been, but in light of all of my other experiences, I highly doubt it!

Here's another one!

A couple of years ago, my husband and I were talking about our finances, and there just wasn’t enough $ to pay all the bills. So he suggested that I look for another job. “Well, the problem with that,” I told him, “is that employers these days look for people with computer skills and that can type.” Then he replied, ”Why don’t you go back to school?”

I really wasn’t crazy about that idea, but I prayed about it that night. Before I went to bed, though, as I was reading my Bible, I came across Genesis 49:16-18 which states:

“Dan will govern his people like any other tribe in Israel. He will be a snake beside the road, a poisonous viper along the path, that bites the horse’s heels so the rider is thrown off. I trust in You for salvation, O Lord!”

Now, I realize that this particular passage was referring to one of Jacob’s 12 sons, but my boss’ name was also Dan, and I think that God was telling me that where it says-“…the rider is thrown off,” could signify that I could be fired at any time. (I don’t think that God wants me to work here anymore.)

The very next day, my co-worker came in with a brochure from “Renton Technical College.” As I picked it up and opened it to the middle randomly, right in front of my face was Computer Courses!! WELL IF THAT’S NOT GOD HITTING ME OVER THE HEAD WITH A TON OF BRICKS, THEN I DON’T KNOW WHAT IS!!!!!

Over the next couple of weeks, every time I thought about registering for that class, we were always short of money. Story of my life!!! (I might add that it cost $123.00 for a 3 week course.)

On the night before you could possibly register, as I was praying, I said to God, “I know You want me to go to this class, but there is no money for me to register.” So, on Friday, (the class started on Saturday morning) we received a check for $193.00 from when myhusband had recruited an employee. (We were expecting it, but had no idea when it was coming in.)

That night, after work, as I was driving to the college to sign up, there was a lot of traffic so I pulled in at 4:55. (They closed at 5:00) When I went inside, the doors to the registration office were locked. I looked in the window, and saw people in there, so I knocked and pointed to my watch. As a lady started walking towards the door, I quickly said to God, “I know You want me to go to this class, please tell this lady to let me in.” When the lady opened the door, she immediately said to me, “We’re closed!” “I thought you closed at 5:00, your clock says it’s only 4:55.” I argued. “Besides, the class I want to register for starts tomorrow!” I said. “O.K.” she said as she let me in. “Thank you, God!” I whispered as I walked up to the desk.

I was later let go from my job, which proves my suspicion that God didn't want me there anymore. I now work at a place that has many more unbelievers than my previous employer had! God is taking advantage of the gift of evangelism that He has given me.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Why do you reject the possibility that you are simply reading into scripture what your subconscious is thinking anyway?

Granted, your first example was unusual, but not at all outside the realm of chance. For someone who reads the Bible regularly, odds are you're going to occasionally run into passages that talk to where you are in life. The same could probably be said for any collection of 60+ books.

I run into these types of coincidences too just reading news stories and watching movies. If this is god in action, he doesn't discriminate against those who don't believe in him.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham
Why do you reject the possibility that you are simply reading into scripture what your subconscious is thinking anyway?

Because I have faith in God, that's why!

Granted, your first example was unusual, but not at all outside the realm of chance. For someone who reads the Bible regularly, odds are you're going to occasionally run into passages that talk to where you are in life. The same could probably be said for any collection of 60+ books.

Because it is such a large book with thousands of verses, what are the odds of RANDOMLY reading a passage that I didn't even know was there, that applies to what I had recently prayed about?

I run into these types of coincidences too just reading news stories and watching movies. If this is god in action, he doesn't discriminate against those who don't believe in him.

I do not know if He does or not. He might!

How about this one? This is one of my favorites!

I don’t get a chance to read the newspaper very often, but God made sure that I read this one!
One day, just as I was due to get off work my husband called. I was the receptionist, so I put him on “hold” so I could pick his call up on another phone and talk to him without any interruptions. The showroom was pretty busy and there were customers on almost every desk with a phone on it, so I went to the only phone that was available. As I was talking to him, I noticed a headline on the newspaper that just happened to be on the desk that I just happened to be standing in front of.
“House of Representative Member Walks Out on Prayer.”
After I hung up the phone, I read the whole article, which stated that two of the members of the House of Representatives walked out of the session because they opened in prayer “in the name of Allah, the God of Moses, Abraham, Jesus, and Muhammad.” I was SHOCKED!! I went around the dealership and showed it to a few of my Christian friends. They all had different opinions about it, but no one seemed as concerned as I was. Feeling frustrated, I had to talk to other Christians right away!
Then I had an idea! I drove down the street to “Evangel,” where I was sure that the employees there would be Christian and would have a strong opinion. The clerk told me that the name “Allah” is just another name for God. My argument was that if that was one of His names, then shouldn’t it be in the Bible somewhere??? And what about Muhammad? His name is not mentioned in the Bible either. She wasn’t much help! At that point, I knew in my heart that something just wasn’t right, so I got into my car and prayed.
“Dear Heavenly Father, I know that YOU are the one and only God and not this “Allah.” You and he are not the same God! If I am right, please play “It Is You,” by the Newsboys before I get home today.” In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.
You know what? That was the VERY NEXT SONG!!!!!! My heart was elated!!! “YES, YES!” I shouted out loud. (And yes, I cried yet again because I had heard the voice of God--MY GOD!) The song after that was “Awesome God” to which I happily sang along!

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham

Because I have faith in God, that's why!

That doesn't answer the question. God could be completely real, and yet not talk to you the way you think he has been talking to you. How do you know that's god and not just your own subconscious? There is nothing in the Bible to suggest that it is legitimate to use the Bible as a magic eight ball.

Because it is such a large book with thousands of verses, what are the odds of RANDOMLY reading a passage that I didn't even know was there, that applies to what I had recently prayed about?

Assuming you pray regularly and read the Bible regularly, I'd say the odds are high that a passage will occasionally address your prayers within a few days. If god really spoke to you like this, this would be a daily event and not just once in a while.

How about this one? This is one of my favorites!
“Dear Heavenly Father, I know that YOU are the one and only God and not this “Allah.” You and he are not the same God! If I am right, please play “It Is You,” by the Newsboys before I get home today.” In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.
You know what? That was the VERY NEXT SONG!!!!!!

If the song had not played, would you have kept trying the experiment until it eventually did?

I've been humming tunes in my head before and turned on the radio only to find that tune playing. I guess that's god telling me he enjoys that song as well?

One time on a long car trip where the radio had not been playing at all, I started singing a song in my head. After a few seconds, my sister started singing the song in the exact same place I was at in my head. God sure does work in mysterious ways, as I have no idea what the significance of that was.

Every day of your life, there are boundless opportunities for low probability events to happen. Every once in a while, one does. I don't find that surprising.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   

That doesn't answer the question.

Accept it or not, that is my answer.

God could be completely real, and yet not talk to you the way you think he has been talking to you. How do you know that's god and not just your own subconscious? There is nothing in the Bible to suggest that it is legitimate to use the Bible as a magic eight ball.

I realize that, But because I know God through reading His Word, I know what He is telling me.

Assuming you pray regularly and read the Bible regularly, I'd say the odds are high that a passage will occasionally address your prayers within a few days. If god really spoke to you like this, this would be a daily event and not just once in a while.

It happens all the time. The only reason it doesn't happen every day, is because I don't read the Bible every day. It is definately more than just once in a while, though.

If the song had not played, would you have kept trying the experiment until it eventually did?

I don't think about "what if's"

I've been humming tunes in my head before and turned on the radio only to find that tune playing. I guess that's god telling me he enjoys that song as well?

You didn't pray about it!

Every day of your life, there are boundless opportunities for low probability events to happen.

I don't consider the fact that when I pray about a particular situation (There could be millions of things I could pray about)
and then God answers me, to be low probability.
Think about it...
Millions of possible subjects to pray about vs. millions of songs that might be played on the radio. What are the odds? And you consider that 'low probability?'

Here's another one!
I had noticed early on in my walk with God, that I loved talking to people about Him and Jesus. One morning, I prayed that He would send people into the dealership for me to talk to about Him. The first person was a customer that came in to talk to Dan. She noticed that I was reading the Bible, and she asked me if I was a Christian. When I told her, “Yes, I am.” She asked me what church I go to. I told her that I go to _______. (Name removed for privacy.) She then asked me to pray for her about what she had to talk to Dan about. (Which I did.)

The second person that came in was ________ .(Name removed) The conversation was nearly the same. She also asked me what denomination my church was. She was pleased when I said that it was non-denominational. Then she went in to see someone in the finance department, so that was all we got to talk about.

Both of those people were before 12:00, and then at lunch, my Muslim co-worker and I were debating the differences between Christianity and Islam. I have yet to win that debate, but that’s another story altogether!

Which only goes to show you that when you ask God for something that is within His will, He is more than happy to comply!

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I think I told you on the other thread that not all people are God's children. Unbelievers don't know how to listen to His voice.

Yawn, another "morally elite" Christian saying how all non-Christians are "non-believers.":shk:

Why is it that someone who BELIEVES in something different than you is a NON-BELIEVER?? And some of you have the nerve to cry persecution. What do you think about people who pray to Allah, or Zeus, or the gods in general? What if THOSE people get a response?

I know, it's probably the Devil talking to them...

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   

just me 2

You didn't pray about it!

So? If I pray then it's god, otherwise it's concidence?

just me 2
Think about it...
Millions of possible subjects to pray about vs. millions of songs that might be played on the radio. What are the odds? And you consider that 'low probability?'

The odds you will be praying about a subject you heard recently in a song on the radio are reasonably high. The odds that the same song will play again later on are also reasonably high since it obviously registered with you or you would not have remebered it.

There are indeed millions (i suppose) of possible songs that could play on the radio, but if you are listening to contemporary Christian radio, the odds you hear a given song on any particular day is high, since the playlist is short.

You're not going to hear Black Sabbath or Dwight Yokum on a Christian rock station.

Don't you have anything conclusive rather than just a handfull of coincidental stories simliar to what everyone experiences?

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Why is it that someone who BELIEVES in something different than you is a NON-BELIEVER??

Because ”non-believers” don’t believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, that He suffered and died on the cross for their sins and rose from the dead!

And some of you have the nerve to cry persecution. What do you think about people who pray to Allah, or Zeus, or the gods in general? What if THOSE people get a response?

Do you know of anyone who has prayed to Allah or Zeus and had gotten a response?

So? If I pray then it's god, otherwise it's concidence?

If you prayed sincerely, with a humble heart, truly expecting to receive an answer to your prayer, then, yes, I’m sure it would be God.

The odds you will be praying about a subject you heard recently in a song on the radio are reasonably high.

The subject I prayed about (in that story) was whether or not God and Allah are the same. That came from the newspaper. In my prayer, I had asked Him If He was NOT Allah, then to play my favorite song. And He did!!

There are indeed millions (i suppose) of possible songs that could play on the radio, but if you are listening to contemporary Christian radio, the odds you hear a given song on any particular day is high, since the playlist is short.

The playlist on contemporary Christian radio is the same as secular radio. I used to listen to secular radio stations a few years ago.

Don't you have anything conclusive rather than just a handfull of coincidental stories simliar to what everyone experiences?

What did you have in mind? The parting of the Red Sea? I do have many more of these types of stories!

One night as I was praying for the people in my life, I was wondering how Bob Smith (name changed for privacy) was doing. He was one of my co-workers (an older gentleman) that had been in a car accident awhile back and was having all sorts of medical problems. Well, one day he just decided to get up and quit and not tell anyone. For weeks, no one had heard anything from him. We thought he just dropped off the face of the earth. Anyways, as I was praying for him, I asked God to have him call me tomorrow just to let me know how he was doing.
The next day, around 10:00am he called!

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   

The playlist on contemporary Christian radio is the same as secular radio. I used to listen to secular radio stations a few years ago.

...and the playlists are predominantly the top 40. If you listen for 2 hours, you'll start to hear some songs repeating.

I asked God to have him call me tomorrow just to let me know how he was doing.
The next day, around 10:00am he called!

I thought god doesn't interfere with free will.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

...and the playlists are predominantly the top 40. If you listen for 2 hours, you'll start to hear some songs repeating.

Even if the songs do repeat once in awhile, what are the odds of the song in question being played at the EXACT moment that I had prayed for it to be played?

I thought god doesn't interfere with free will.

Deuteronomy 17:15 "...be sure to appoint over you the king the LORD your God chooses. He must be from among your own brothers. Do not place a foreigner over you, one who is not a brother Israelite. "

Psalm 65:4
Blessed are those you (God) choose and bring near to live in your courts! We are filled with the good things of your house, of your holy temple."

Jeremiah 3:14 "Return, faithless people," declares the LORD, "for I am your husband. I will choose you—one from a town and two from a clan—and bring you to Zion."

John 15:16 "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name."

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Here's a good one for you!

The first time I found out about the “Creation Festival”, I thought to myself, “WOW- this would be an AWESOME event to go to!” I could think of nothing better (short of going to Heaven itself) than to worship God for four straight days! So when I asked my husband if I could go, he said no because it was too expensive. (The tickets cost between $75-$95 depending on when you buy them and we just couldn’t afford it.) I was extremely disappointed to say the least. (I also should mention that my husband was not a Christian, so he just didn’t understand how much I wanted to go.)
Well, a few weeks later, I noticed on the church bulletin that the Youth Leader of our church Bill was taking the youth group to the event. That gave me a great idea! Why don’t I ask Bill if I could go as a “chaperone?” Without consulting my husband first, I talked to Bill and he said, “Sure! That would be awesome! We would love for you to come along and the discounted ticket would only be $85.00 for youth leaders.” (Which by that time WAS a discount.) Then I went home and told my husband. He was FURIOUS!! He said, “I can’t believe that you actually want to be away from the family for four whole days!!!” (There it was- the REAL reason he didn’t want me to go-he didn’t want me to go away for four whole days!) Then I responded with, “I don’t look at it like that, I’m thinking more along the lines of – ‘I get to worship God for four days straight!’” Then he said, “Well, I didn’t get to go to “Wrestlemania” when it was in town, so why should I let you go to this?” “First of all,” I replied, “There’s a HUGE difference between wrestling and worshipping God!!! Second, you told me at the time, that you didn’t want to go because you get a better view on T.V.” Well, I still don’t want you to go because you’d be away from the girls for too long.” At that point, as bad as I wanted to go, I knew that God did not want me to continue arguing with my husband over Him, and I was trying to be the subservient wife that I should be. But I was so upset, that I went upstairs, grabbed my Bible and ran out of the house crying. I walked down the street to the park and read for about an hour.

When I came back, we were both calmed down enough to apologize to each other, and I had accepted my fate of not going.

That night, I prayed to God that if it was His will, would He would somehow provide a way for me to go to this wondrous event. I also said that I would leave all of the details up to Him.

Over the next several weeks, my husband and I never spoke of the event again.

Then, a couple of months later, (the Friday before it was due to start,) as I was listening to the radio on the way to work, they have times when you’re supposed to call in with funny stories of cute things your kids say. So, I called in with a story about my daughter.
Whenever I give her a hug, I say, “MMMMM, my big girl” Then she says back to me, “MMMMM, my big mama!” They actually put me on the air with that story!!! Well, every person that calls in that day gets entered in the door prize drawing.

Later that afternoon, I absolutely could not believe it when the woman on the phone told me that I had just won two FREE tickets to Creation Fest!!!! As I was driving home, my first thought was, “WOW- God came through for me!!” Then I thought, “Oh NO, how am I going to explain this to my husband? There was no way that he would ever let me go!”
Just at that moment, I noticed the song that was playing on the radio-No Doubt by Petra. Part of the lyrics goes:

No doubt it’ll be alright,
With God, everything will work out for good,
No doubt in the end it will be understood
No doubt it’ll all work out
With faith He can move any mountain for us
No doubt in the power of Jesus
And after all is done we find out
All we need to have is no doubt

I felt like God was telling me, “Don’t doubt Me, everything will be o.k.” I was trying not to doubt Him, but the whole way home, I kept wondering what my husband would say. Then when I got home, I turned on the radio and a few minutes later they (or should I say God) played “It’s Alright” by Third Day. Part of the lyrics goes:

“It’ll be alright, It’ll be O.K., Don’t worry ‘bout tomorrow. For it brings me one more day closer than I was to You.”

Again, He was telling me not to worry. I had to believe that God would not just give me the tickets and then not let me go!

That night when I told my husband the whole thing, he was a little more relaxed about it, but still a little weary. He kept telling me that even though the tickets were free, it was still going to cost a lot of money for food and gas, and the fact that I didn’t know where I was going to sleep or who was going to go with me. (I wanted to take my daughter since she was the reason I called the radio station to begin with.) All he kept saying was, “You don’t know what you’re getting yourself into!” My reply to that was, “We didn’t know what we were getting into when we got married, we didn’t know what we were getting into when we had kids, or even when we bought our house, but we still did all those things anyways! Sometimes you just have to get out of the rut and do something extraordinary, take a chance once in awhile! Then he said, “What about work? You don’t even know if you can get the time off yet.” “I have faith in God,” I told him.

I have faith that He will take care of all the little details. When God answers prayers, He doesn’t just do it half way, He goes the whole nine yards and covers all the bases! So I’m not worried!”

“ O.K. fine, you can go.” He said at last. But he did not want our daughter to go with me because he was afraid that she wouldn’t understand what was going on. I could accept that. I’ll just ask Bill if he knows of anyone in the youth group that would want to go. And my friend Ruth is lending me her tent and an ice chest, so that solved the problem of where I was going to sleep.
On Sunday night, I called my co-worker Brietta to see if she would be willing to cover my shifts on Thursday and Friday. Naturally, she said she would.
On Monday morning, I spoke to my other co-worker Mary to see if she could cover the evening shifts that Brietta usually works. Of course she agreed to work them!

I also really wanted to go on the bus with the youth group because it would save me gas, wear and tear on my car and the fact that I did not have any insurance, it was not a good idea to go on a long trip.

I was also concerned about the fact that the event actually starts on Wed. evening and I thought that Bill and gang would be leaving that morning while I was at work, and there was no way that I could get off any earlier that day.
Then after work on Monday, I found out that he wasn’t going to leave until Thursday morning, but I till wasn’t sure if there was going to be enough room on the bus for me and that other person. But I shouldn’t have worried at all, because God had everything under control!

I just talked to Bill as I was writing this, and he said, “Yes, I could go with them, and yes the food there is expensive but they bring all their own food to which I would pay them $50.00. That would be a lot less than if I were to eat every meal there.”

God moved mountains for me and I am eternally grateful! I feel like He just handed me the tickets on a silver platter and parted the Red Sea for me to go!

ISAIAH 14:27 “The Lord Almighty has spoken-who can change His plans? When His hand moves, who can stop him?”

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join