It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fishin N E 1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Well this time of year with winter close at hand my fishing goes from the gentle rocking of the boat and long casts into the warm wind to a small shack on the ice with enough room to drop a jig.So i thought it would be great to be able to talk about our fishing trips,equipment and techniques,post our fishing pics from the summer and hopefully icefishing pics this winter....anybody fishing salt water or exotic areas or fish it would be great to hear the stories and see the fish to keep us guys freezing in shacks from casting withdrawal.

Well theres nothing very exotic about these fish but they earned me the weekend nickname Crappie Jim and were caught on lake of the Woods,Ont. I was using an ultra light,medium action rod and 4lb test line,bouncing a silver jigging spoon with a red reflector strip and they were grabbing it almost right off the bottom in 25 feet of water.
----------------------------------------....~<

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Crappie is some damn good eatin'. I love fishing for crappie. If you find the right spot you can just pull them up one after the other. How do you like to prepare yours Jim?

Peace

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Hey Doc, I have only actually eaten Crappie once for shore lunch and we just fried the fillet's in butter and added some salt and pepper, we really should pack more spices,they are excellent though even plain like that.Not a fishy taste like some other fish ive had.Were kinda spoiled here with tons of Walleye so alot of people wont even fish for Crappie but i really dont think many would notice much difference if it was mixed in with their Walleye.

How are you preparing yours? If you have the prescription id love to try it out.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I just season some flour with salt, pepper, maybe a little garlic powder, maybe a little cayenne pepper. Then I dredge the fillet and fry 'em up in some brown butter. Then drain on some paper towels. Nothing really too difficult, but really tasty.

Freshwater fishing gets a little stale for me down here in Texas. I have to break the monotony going deep sea fishing in the Gulf two or three times a year.

Peace

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Freshwater fishing gets a little stale for me down here in Texas. I have to break the monotony going deep sea fishing in the Gulf two or three times a year.

Peace

Im Jealous....I did a little research as my knowledge of deep sea fishing is addmittedly low.

Anglers fishing just off shore can look forward to Flounder,Speckled Trout,Sheepshead,Sand Trout,Croaker,Whiting,Bull Reds and Gafftop.Anglers fishing a few miles offshore can look forward to Shark and Tarpon...15-40 miles offshore anglers can catch Kingfish(no relation to Kinglizard) Snapper,Cobia,Durado,Sailfish and Wahoo as well as Bull,Sand,Hammerhead and Tiger sharks.Travelling 70-100 miles off shore anglers will find Blue Marlin,White Marlin,Tuna,Wahoo,Dorado and Sailfish.

Im even More jealous now,From what im reading it sounds like a great place to fish even just off shore,You got fish i havent even heard of.

Which of these are popular catches for you Doc ? What kind of price range for Chartering a boat ?

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimstradamus
...Kingfish....Snapper..... Durado

Those are the ones I like to concentrate on. Unbelievable eating all three of them. The King is probably the best fight of the three. I don't mess with sharks usually. They're a real hassle. If you don't bleed them within a short time of catching them, the meat can get bad. They urinate through their blood. Still sharks are good eating.

I like to charter one boat for me and about three, maybe four others. It an run about $150/person. I don't mess with those party boats. They're cheaper but more people and more lines in the water sucks.

Peace

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
OMG !!!

What an amazing looking fish man,id love to hook one of these Durado and 150 a day is reasonable...

[edit on 11-11-2005 by jimstradamus]

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I am in the fishing wonderland of the world. I just went and bought myself a new shimano 7 foot river estruary rod combo. I love it.

I don't get to go out to sea much but when I wasa girl my dad used to take me fishing with him and it was the family joke that I caught more than anyone else. As i grew it is still my favourite past time.

When I have a bad day or sad day I go down to the jetty and cast my rod, look around at the sky, the sea and the mountains and just brings everything back into perspective.

I am teaching my kids to fish now as my dad did for me. Im lucky Krissy sometimes looks after the kids of an evening for a couple of hours so i can go down and wind down.

I bought myself some pretty lures a couple of weeks ago and when I took the kids camping last week I hooked one up for Krissy. It took her half an hour for the seaweed to eat my lure. *sad.

Flatheads my favourite fish. I cook it the same as Dr Love does, in butter rolled lightly in flour salt and pepper. They are rare caught in the tropics where I live now but down south they are abundant. The seafood shop in town rings me whenever they have a fresh catch in.

I catch Mangrove Jack and Bream, Whiting and Snapper. I like leatherjackets, called butter fish and I can skin them and fillet a flathead before you can say boo. I love flounder, they feel like reeeling in an old dead shoe, no fight but yummy in the pan. Sometimes I catch taylor and trevally but I throw them back more often than keep. I love crabbing and yabbying and catching freshwater crays. I love oystering and prawning and geting live nippers for bait. I often help the tourists remove the octopus from their lines and then I ask them if they want it, I usually get a grimace and wander off happily to pop them in my bucket. I get home skin them and then marinate them and stick the pieces on a hot bbq.

I can only dream, I average between 1 to 2 kilo size sometimes bigger if I catch a duskie. Two main types dusky and sandy.

There is a couple of types of bream, red bream is snapper, yellow bream and silver bream, the silver bream is often referred to as deep sea bream.

Look at those snappers

Flounder

Leatherjacket

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
I can skin them and fillet a flathead before you can say boo.

Mayet,will you marry me!!!

Fishing really is the best LEGAL way to relax that ive come across and you get to see so many amazing things that will have you addicted in no time.Tell me this isnt the sweetest thing.

Or watchin this swim accross your path wont keep you comin back

Your kids are very lucky to have someone to pass on this great way of life now hurry up and u2u me so we can start planning the big day.

I cant get over those leatherbacks...so beautiful!!!

[edit on 21-11-2005 by jimstradamus]

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Well I accept on the following conditions...

1, the ducks must come in the package, you can keep the bear. Although they are cute
2, you must always take me fishing with you and not leave me behind when you go with "the boys"
3, you must eat my cooking and say you like it..
4, You must like camping and travelling (always with rods alongside)
5, you must like animals and be prepared to check road kills for babies
6, you must like noisy rambunctious kids or wear a good set of earplugs
7, I don't do winter so you must come to tropical wonderland or you must have a really really warm house
8, you must buy me a dishwasher cos I hate doing dishes
9, you must hire someone to fold clothes for me as Im allergic to dust and it makes me all puffy and red
10, you must be cuddly and affectionate
11, you must like reading and music
12, you must be prepared for a left of centre wife thats interests vary far and wide.
13, you must be prepared for me to walk around nekkid all the time.
14, You must give good back rubs.. and be prepared for the consequences.
15, You must like debating topics and have interesting conversations
16, you must like my crop circle
17, you mustn't lust after my stunning daughter
18, you must love sunsets and sunrises
19, you must be open minded about possibilities
20, you must like me for me and the me in me

* Hey where are you going .. get back here.. stop running so fast.. c....o.....m......e............................. b.............a..................c.....................k

sheesh I always scare them off............

:bnghd:

Nah seriously .. heres some pics of my area

www.belowtopsecret.com...

[edit on 21-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Tight lines to all my brothers and sisters in the pescatorial pursuits.
Here on my home water of the San Juan; the ice is beginning to freeze in the guides but the world class rainbows, cutbows and browns are still hitting midge patterns and beatis immatations.

The regulations here are very stringent on the gold medal, catch and release, flies and artificials only water. You can keep one trout over 20 in. but you must stop fishing.

For my salt water experiences every year I love the flats in Belize and Florida. And specs and Reds around Rockport Texas.

One more vote for Crappie as the best tasting fish that swims.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Mayet your conditions are all within reason..can i get a start over on #17
ill be a gentleman from this day forward:bnghd:

Whaaa thanks for the well wishes my friend..we have some fairly strict catch and release where im from as well but it really seems to be helping and if it keeps fish in the lakes for the kids man im all for it.

Hope you'll stop back in with news of your upcoming trips,maybe some fave lures and the more fishing pics the better..keep settin the hook and hope to hear back from ya soon..................~

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I live in Houston and I'm not a big time fisherman, but about a half dozen times a year, I round up catfish in local ponds within the city.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Hey Zipdot,Im curious about the eating of catfish,ive talked to tons of Americans who swear by them yet up in Canada it's quite rare from my understanding...what kind of cats are these..we have tons of huge channel catfish here but i would think they are way 2 big to eat.

new topics

top topics

join