It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria Sponsoring Anti-American "Conspiracy Film"!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Although Syrians may not seem to be interested in having a military confrontation with the Americans, they are already engaged in a cultural one.

"Kurtlar Vadisi" or "The Valley of Wolves" is the highest rated TV series in Turkey which is a conspiracy film that is based upon secret state-mafia relations.

This season, the series features a story involving an Illuminati type secret society associated with the American "petroleum cartel" doing all sorts of misdeeds and assassinations (including the recent Hariri assassination) to start a major war war in the Middle East.

It is being reported in the Turkish media that the series, which is quite popular all over the ME has been shot in Damascus with special permission from the Syrian president Bashaar Al-Assad.

It is also interesting to note that since 911 and Iraq invasion, movies and books featuring anti-American conspiracies have become quite popular and created a multi-million dollar business in ME.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 05:29 AM
link   
we have had many conspiricy films in the UK (payed by tax payers)
does that count as anti american?

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
we have had many conspiricy films in the UK (payed by tax payers)
does that count as anti american?

Yup.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
You claim to belive in freedom of speech, and yet, people can say and talk about whatever they want, SO LONG AS IT'S NOT AGAINST THE US.

No no, that would be terrorism yes? I'm suprised Michael Moore isn't in guantanomo bay.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Syrian Sister
You claim to belive in freedom of speech, and yet, people can say and talk about whatever they want, SO LONG AS IT'S NOT AGAINST THE US.

No no, that would be terrorism yes? I'm suprised Michael Moore isn't in guantanomo bay.

Freedom of speech works both ways genius. You can say just about anything you want (other then slandoring a person), but you better allow other people to say what they want too.

I don't prevent anyone from saying a thing, but I will exercise my right to free speech to comment on what others say.

You can run around screaming how evil America is, and I can say you are anti-american for saying that. Get it?

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Another thing about free speech:

Just because you are allowed to say something, doesn’t mean you have the right to all sources of broadcasting it.

I.e. I can say anything I want, that’s my right. But I have no innate right to all the methods of mass communication, that’s a privilege you may or may not have. Access to and the Right to are two entirely different things.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Access to the media required to make widespread political statements is the priveledge of those who can pay.

As for the theme of this thread, Hollywood has made many movies over the years with storylines about evil government conspiracies and wrongdoing by US those within government. I have never seen them accused of being "anti-American". The fact that filming is taking place in Syria is irrelevent too, as it could have been filmed antwhere.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Just because you are allowed to say something, doesn’t mean you have the right to all sources of broadcasting it.

I thought freedom of speach meant i can say whatever i want , AS LOWDLY as i want.

Those people have the right, to say whatever they want AND BROADCAST IT however they can.

Your definition of freedom of speech is basically

"you can say whatever you want, so long as no one hears it".

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I thought freedom of speach meant i can say whatever i want , AS LOWDLY as i want.

Those people have the right, to say whatever they want AND BROADCAST IT however they can.

Um...You have no clue. Did you even read the words? You can say anything you want, thats your right. But its not a right to use any and all methods to say it. You DO NOT have the right to use TV to broadcast your rantings. If somebody who has the ability to broadcast chooses to broadcast your propaganda, then thats their right. But you dont have the right to have it broadcast.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

It is--you can say whatever you want, and the constitution has nothing against that. However, the rest of the "I's" in the nation have decided that you can't. Those are people who--just like you (if you're an American)--can vote and have legislation passed. Legislation that says you can't say whatever you want or as loud as you want. These laws have been weighed against the wordage of the constitution, and the general consensus has been that it's not without reason to place limits on what you can say (or how loudly, for that matter.)

The limitations placed on what is broadcast is from the FCC; anyone can do what is necessary to get in there and change things from the inside. But it's much easier and more comforting to just sit around and complain. I know, that's what I do--I don't want to make a difference either, I just like to vent also.

No, my definition is "I can say whatever I want, and you can call me every name in the book for saying what I want." The government only prevents "free speech" when its threatening to the population or (more commonly) when it's offensive to the majority of the populous. And if the majority of the population thinks the government is getting to harsh on TV shows or whatnot, they'll elect a different government next time around.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
We are just as FREE as the Government wonts us to be.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It's fun for the pot to call the kettle black, afterall it takes attention away from the pot. I'm actually surprised Chirac hasn't came out with a new anti-American propaganda film to take peoples minds of the riots. France has made some good ones in the past.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Access to the media required to make widespread political statements is the priveledge of those who can pay.

It doesn't cost that much to get a camera or use a computer to make a movie and then put it on the internet.

As for the theme of this thread, Hollywood has made many movies over the years with storylines about evil government conspiracies and wrongdoing by US those within government. I have never seen them accused of being "anti-American".

Well, you haven't been listening to me then. Just this summer I saw one such move - "Lord of War" staring Nick Cage. It was about an arms dealer. They advertised it as a dark comedy with clever/slick one liners and jokes mixed in with action and some nice eye candy. Predictably though, it turned into an Anti-US fest, complete with obscure references to Oliver North.

In about a week a movie called "Syriana" staring Hollywoods pet anti-US actors Matt Damon and George Clooney will show. It is described as being about the oil industry, but I will bet everything I own that it turns into a hate on the US movie.

I try to boycott such movies if they have a clear political agenda. If it's just a story, then no problem. Lucky for me I have a moderate friend who is a film critic, and gets to see all the movies before they come out, and he knows where I draw the line. Thus, I don't usually end up wasting my money.

The fact that filming is taking place in Syria is irrelevent too, as it could have been filmed antwhere.

Exactly my point. There is no infringement of free speech.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Im sick of American double standards and hypocrisy. The Americans are allowed to play all the anti Iraqi, anti Islamic propaganda they like, the video stores are literally flooded with it but as soon as someone plays anti American propaganda, its terrorist and shouldnt be allowed to be played.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
PLEASE provide a link for your post so that it can be confirmed.

Please remember to always do this when you quote anything.

If you got the info from anywhere other than a web site please state it in the beginning of your post.

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Syrian sister,

what exactly is at Guantanamo bay?

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   

what exactly is at Guantanamo bay?

I'll answer that one. Camp X-ray which is being used by the U.S. as a detention center in which they detain suspected terrorists and "prisoners of war" which when they get there are no longer considered prisoners of war thus lose all the rights of a POW. In this "camp", hundreds of people of around 35 different nationalities remain held in effect in a legal black hole, many without access to any court, legal counsel or family visits. Many of the activities conducted at Camp X-ray in Guantánamo Bay violate basic human rights and international legal obligations. These activities include torture, and cruel, inhumane treatment of detainees held there. Just the fact that they detain international prisoners and strip them of the rights of POW's goes against the Geneva convention.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ToxicDelirium
Im sick of American double standards and hypocrisy. The Americans are allowed to play all the anti Iraqi, anti Islamic propaganda they like, the video stores are literally flooded with it but as soon as someone plays anti American propaganda, its terrorist and shouldnt be allowed to be played.

Can you name or point out some of these "anti Iraqi, anti Islamic" videos which you say are flooding video stores? Have you even been to a video store?

Who is stopping this video being played? I don't see that any where in outlier's post. Where is America shutting down this video in Syria or other places in the Middle East? Who in the government said this video was "terrorist"? What I hear is that this is showing in Syria, and from outlier's post is " the highest rated TV series in Turkey". The U.S. government is not "banning" this from showing in countries or anything like that. We are not stopping it.

Of course your going to get some U.S. citizens saying it's terrible and should not be shown but thats understandable and you would get the same reaction if this video was about other country. People don't want others saying bad things about their country. Especially if something isn't thought to be true to everyone.

[edit on 10-11-2005 by andpau66]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ToxicDelirium

What double standards?

Show me one person who said this should not be allowed to be played.

In fact, even those who do not like these things (my self, I assume Skippy, etc) say it can be made and shown.

However, the freedome of speech does not give you any inate right to broadcast on TV, radio, etc.

These things require that a station want's to show them, or that the owner of the video has a station themselves.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
What double standards?

Oh, well, I bet Adam Curtis from BBC (UK could answer you that one

Since he made the amaing (and not even anti-ami...!) documentary about how similar neocons and radical islamists are and pointed out their roots, way to sieze pover and their weakness (for both cases), not to mention clear evidence that Al-Keida is a pure myth...

His movie is "The Power of the Nightmares". Bet you haven't seen that one, right?

Why not? Because when he asked why no-one is interesed about distributing the movie in USA, the distributors told him, that they can't. If they do distribute it, they will be crucified...

So, other movies are okay, but this one is not? Why is that?
Guaranted, the movie is not any propaganda, not picking on americans. Yet still, it is not welcome to USA citisens to see...?

Hmmm, hmmm.

On the other hand, from Hollycrap one can see tons of movies, where one get quite tired of seeing allways the same scenario. USA = good ones, some unnamed smelly arab/middle east dictator = bad one. It is almost awfull boring to watch again and again that the USA/Israel could do no wrong and everything they do is in the best intentions for the rest of the world... Every time is american soldier portrayed as hero and the one that care and his enemies are the brutal, sadistic ones, that kill the innocent civilians and stuff...

I wonder what the Iraquis could say about it anyway

Simply put - as long, as the movie glorify america or Israel, it has a green.
As long, as the movie dare to show a critic view on USA or Israel, it is doomed to never be shown to the public at large.

Especially "conspirative movies" about JFK/911 and Iraq war is taboo.
Another taboo is the "antisemitic movies" that trying to question the jews way of handling palestinians...

So, are you guys saying that as long, as the movie did not offend anyone (eg. it did not contract the way USA and Israel if generaly portrayed), it is okay to show it and if it does upset people, then it is not okay to show it?

Why this reminding me so much of the Gibson (crazy catholic dude anyway) movie The Passion of the Christ and the angry Izrael reaction... Don't you remember? ...of course, telling us straight that the jews pushed Romanians to kill the Jesus is bad, is is? In fact, it is worse that is bad - it is antisemitic!!!

Get real, for christ sake

top topics

<<   2 >>

join